The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KB_97
I'm applying with achieved grades too. I think we just have to be careful in choosing unis. It all best to choose unis that look at ur a2 results and credit them in some way. If you dont mind me asking what grades did you get? Answer where aren't u thinking of applying. Pm if u want to
could you pm me I've never got the jist of pming:/
Original post by KB_97
I'm applying with achieved grades too. I think we just have to be careful in choosing unis. It all best to choose unis that look at ur a2 results and credit them in some way. If you dont mind me asking what grades did you get? Answer where aren't u thinking of applying. Pm if u want to

Im also applying with achieved grades so if people could tell us which unis this will give us an advantage that would be really helpful 😀
Original post by ford2910
Im also applying with achieved grades so if people could tell us which unis this will give us an advantage that would be really helpful 😀

Tell me about it. Have you done your ukcat and what grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking?
With an average score of 580 and Band 4, would you apply to any UKCAT universities (for foundation medicine)?
I got:
VR-510
QR- 650
AR- 580
SJ - Band 4 😫🔫
Average: 580
Which unis (apart from BMAT unis)?
Im hoping to apply for foundation medicine
Original post by abzz11
Tell me about it. Have you done your ukcat and what grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking?

GCSEs 5A*s 4As B in english language
ALEVELS A*AAA (A* was in biology)
UKCAT 660 band 1

What about you? Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by KB_97
Were there many multistep questions? I find the maths easy, it's just its really time consuming when there's multiple steps for a question. It takes more than 40 seconds and then I start panicking and i end up on a downward spiral.

There were quite a few, but they were pretty simple calculations and I always found that writing down the working really helped because it saved time (ie forgetting the number calculated for step one). Its really important not to panic as it means you are more likely to make a mistake and staying calm means you are more likely to work efficiently and accurately - I found writing the working calmed me down as well! However, if you take one look at a question and realise it will take a really long time and a few calculations, just guess and move onto easier ones :smile:
Original post by stardust-dream
they weren't any easier than QR in Kaplan mocks 1-6, because I'd say QR questions in the real exam were of the same difficulty. I really do think the marking for the real exam is different to that of the mocks.

no it isn't. There is only one correct answer for all sections except SJT.
GCSEs 5A*s 4As B in english language
ALEVELS A*AAA (A* was in biology)
UKCAT 660 band 1

What about you? Where are you thinking of applying?

First of all that is amazing. Well done you must have worked very hard.
I got GCSE 7A*2A2B
Alevels 2A*A
And unis not too sure
Could you tell me some ukcat tricks and yips because i am awful at it?
What unis are you thinking about ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abzz11
First of all that is amazing. Well done you must have worked very hard.
I got GCSE 7A*2A2B
Alevels 2A*A
And unis not too sure
Could you tell me some ukcat tricks and yips because i am awful at it

Thanks, yeah i did work really hard. I ve never been very good at VR and didnt finish it the first year i did it so this year i did all the true/false questions and then put and answer and flagged the 4 answer questions and came back to them. I knew i wouldnt get through them all so i decided it was better to guess some at the beginning to get through them all and then come back to as many as i could. QR apart from clicking the answer you can do everything else on the keypad including all the calculator functions. AR I know people constantly say it but practice, so many patterns repeat. I found question types 1 and 4 easier and quicker so i did those ones first and then put down an answer and flagged type 2/3. SJT read good medical practice or a summary of it. Read the explanations for the answers once you ve done the questions.
Unis: I think my UKCAT is high enough for liverpool... I hope and then im not sure about the others.
guys help me please

i got 10a*2A for gcse
aaaa for as level in bio chem maths and econ
predicted grades a*a*aa
ukcat 607

what unis should i apply to?
thinking of imperial, ucl for medicine-BMAT unis
queens and st georges for medicine-bmat unis
and kings for bio med

i was wondering also if queen marys for biomed, do you they not have any interviews,do they give straight offers
Hi Guys*

So I got a low UKCAT score of 586.6
I have a 2.1 in Biochemistry with ABB

any ideas on what unis would be best to apply to?

also considering doing the bmat*

any input would be extremely helpful*
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, yeah i did work really hard. I ve never been very good at VR and didnt finish it the first year i did it so this year i did all the true/false questions and then put and answer and flagged the 4 answer questions and came back to them. I knew i wouldnt get through them all so i decided it was better to guess some at the beginning to get through them all and then come back to as many as i could. QR apart from clicking the answer you can do everything else on the keypad including all the calculator functions. AR I know people constantly say it but practice, so many patterns repeat. I found question types 1 and 4 easier and quicker so i did those ones first and then put down an answer and flagged type 2/3. SJT read good medical practice or a summary of it. Read the explanations for the answers once you ve done the questions.
Unis: I think my UKCAT is high enough for liverpool... I hope and then im not sure about the others.

Oh okay That's helpful. For the aR what do you mean by type 1 and 4? Are theretypes;/y
still so happy in the top 10% of ukcat scores judging by the results that came out today! you guys will all do fab! i was awful at it to start with so don't worry :smile:
Hi.I have my ukcat in 6 days. I have got medify but I suck at the whole thing. I did official mock 2 and got 599 average. I can only do like 3 QR in time and I've to guess the rest. I run out of time in other sections aswell. I am quite good at maths but I am really bad at QR. Any advice? Thank you
Original post by Xenon17
no it isn't. There is only one correct answer for all sections except SJT.

Yeah that's true! But what I'm saying is that I think the scoring for the real exam is nicer than that of the mocks- for example, if a score of 27/44 was 600 in a mock, in a real exam that score would give you 680. If you get what I mean? :smile:

(Just so everyone's aware, I made those values up. Idk if a score of 27/44 actually gives 600 in any mock tests aha :tongue: )
Hey guys for the calculator and the percentage button... how do you guys apply the percentage button? Can any of you give me an example of what you use it for during the test?
Hey guys!
The average preliminary scores this year seem fairly similar to last year, if slightly higher.
My current stats are:
GCSE: 9A*s,A,B
AS level: AAAA
Predicted A2: A*A*A
UKCAT: total:2110 VR 740 AR 720 QR 650 AVG 703.33 band 2

Hoping to apply to glasgow, manchester and birmingham? Could i just get some quick advice about if i am high enough above the average to stand a chance for this year in these (or other) unis?? Any help appreciated!
I
Original post by Potatoo
Hi.I have my ukcat in 6 days. I have got medify but I suck at the whole thing. I did official mock 2 and got 599 average. I can only do like 3 QR in time and I've to guess the rest. I run out of time in other sections aswell. I am quite good at maths but I am really bad at QR. Any advice? Thank you

Hi! I am doing my Ukcat exam tomorrow. Could you please send ur medify.log in .please i can do some revision before .
My email address :[email protected]

By

Vani
Original post by abzz11
Oh okay That's helpful. For the aR what do you mean by type 1 and 4? Are theretypes;/y

Yeah there are 4 different types for AR. Probably worth looking it up as it ll take a long time to explain it all on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending