The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
Original post by Zayn is Bae
One inch shorter and you're too short to play as well. I played to professional level cricket so it's clear who the better sportsman is here. I'm probably better at Basketball than you as well tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na lol, they measure in shoes so I'd be listed an inch higher than I currently am(like they are).
If we were to measure the starting point guards in the NBA I am taller than 8 of them.

I'm also fairly good at Basketball. Keep it simple run to the hoop and layup, otherwise just pass.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Na lol, they measure in shoes so I'd be listed an inch higher than I currently am(like they are).
If we were to measure the starting point guards in the NBA I am taller than 8 of them.

I'm also fairly good at Basketball. Keep it simple run to the hoop and layup, otherwise just pass.

So then I'd be 6'0" as well

I've only ever played BBall in school. Doesn't interest me when people score every shot or nearly every shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4722
Tbh, cricket isn't that hard to play. Even i was pretty good at it.

Couldn't grasp basketball though. Only good at shooting. Mirin Steph Curry.
Original post by Rk2k14
Tbh, cricket isn't that hard to play.

Wot

Sport is as hard as the people you're playing with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4724
So then I'd be 6'0" as well

I've only ever played BBall in school. Doesn't interest me when people score every shot or nearly every shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are serious height liars in bball. Lol that the average basketballer height(6'7) is like the 99.9% percentile for height though.

Tbh I'd like to play Cricket with people who are very good at it though. I'm an obvious athlete compared to the general population so most sports I have at least some ability in it. Not great at tennis though...
Reply 4725
Wot

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of skill and such required to play, its less demanding than other sports.
Reply 4726
Original post by Rk2k14
Tbh, cricket isn't that hard to play. Even i was pretty good at it.

Couldn't grasp basketball though. Only good at shooting. Mirin Steph Curry.

Na I'm **** at anything other than layups and rebounding. Can hit 3s every now and then though and I can defend. I'm pesky as **** so always try and mark people tight enough to stop them from hitting a shot but not so tight that they just pick and roll me.

Wot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also against.

Most people I play cricket against are ****, if I played vs you then I'd probably find it more enjoyable. I'm fast and I can hit a cricket ball far if you don't put a lot of spin on the ball.

Personally at the level I play at, I prefer losing than winning. Reason being that I learn more from facing somebody superior than facing a scrub.

At the pro level(which I'm not for any sport I play) then obviously its much different as a story. I know college level bball players and played against them(when I was younger) and well the difference between us is clear, NBA players are ****ing good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
In terms of skill and such required to play, its less demanding than other sports.

It's not though is it

If I played football with a bunch of 6 year old kids I could score every time I had the ball, if I played cricket with them I still probably wouldn't be able to hit a 6 to a 80m boundary

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Also against.

Most people I play cricket against are ****, if I played vs you then I'd probably find it more enjoyable. I'm fast and I can hit a cricket ball far if you don't put a lot of spin on the ball.

Personally at the level I play at, I prefer losing than winning. Reason being that I learn more from facing somebody superior than facing a scrub.

At the pro level(which I'm not for any sport I play) then obviously its much different as a story. I know college level bball players and played against them(when I was younger) and well the difference between us is clear, NBA players are ****ing good.

Yeah it's hard to underappreciate just how good pro athletes are (we all take the piss out of Fellaini but guy would do mad ting to us).

I like tennis, it's good exercise. Not very good though.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4728
Of course no sport is hard, but cricket is much less demanding that other sports. Cant deny that.
Original post by Rk2k14
Scar Jo>>>

Clemence Poesy
Original post by Rk2k14
Of course no sport is hard, but cricket is much less demanding that other sports. Cant deny that.

Of course no sport is hard

But I've just proven to you that cricket requires a higher level of skill than other sports to actually look good when the level of opposition is stripped away. In a similar way to basketball, it doesn't matter if you're playing against Anderson and Broad and Curry and LeBron, or some physically impaired autistics, if you can't dunk, or you can't hit a ball 90m then you're just not very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4731
It's not though is it

If I played football with a bunch of 6 year old kids I could score every time I had the ball, if I played cricket with them I still probably wouldn't be able to hit a 6 to a 80m boundary

Yeah it's hard to underappreciate just how good pro athletes are (we all take the piss out of Fellaini but guy would do mad ting to us).

I like tennis, it's good exercise. Not very good though.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even think their fitness is that good. I reckon I'd beat some premier league footballers in a beep test(not Beckham or Ramires in their primes though) but it's a mixture of their fitness, their footballing brain(especially) and their technique.

Someone like Ronaldo is the perfect footballer in that regard. He's somebody I'd hate to play against. Muller another guy while not super technical compared to his teammates mentally is on another level as a footballer, he'd run rings round us though.
Reply 4732

But I've just proven to you that cricket requires a higher level of skill than other sports to actually look good when the level of opposition is stripped away. In a similar way to basketball, it doesn't matter if you're playing against Anderson and Broad and Curry and LeBron, or some physically impaired autistics, if you can't dunk, or you can't hit a ball 90m then you're just not very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, looking good may be a factor but actual skill involved is much harder in other sports such as football and basketball
Might not be able to slog it when playing with kids, but just as well its not easy to score a bicycle kick or dunk from the free throw line if you were playing with kids.

Its from my experience btw. Found it much easier to play cricket than football, basketball etc. Could be because of my background lel:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4733

Posted from TSR Mobile

Curry hardly ever dunks, and never dunks under pressure. There is a lot more to basketball than dunking, dunking is a very nice thing to have as it's probably the closest thing you can get to a reliable 100% shot but good ball movement, getting rebounds(offensive and defensive) and high percentage shots(which may or may not be dunks, could be layups which is similar percentage wise) is more important. That's what wins you games.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Nah, looking good may be a factor but actual skill involved is much harder in other sports such as football and basketball
Might not be able to slog it when playing with kids, but just as well its not easy to score a bicycle kick or dunk from the free throw line if you were playing with kids

Its from my experience btw. Found it much easier to play cricket than football, basketball etc. Could be because of my background lel:biggrin:

That's doing skills and trick shots though, it's equivalent to saying that you can't reverse sweep it over cow corner for 6, basically nobody can even at professional level.

Cricket generally seems easier because less people play it in comparison to football so the standard is lower.

The generally-accepted definition of a fast bowler is one who bowls consistently at over 90 miles (145 km) per hour. A cricket pitch is just 22 yards (20 metres) long. That gives batsmen around half a second to pick up the trajectory of the ball, decide which shot to play, and then to execute it. As if that were not hard enough, the best bowlers not only get the ball to swing laterally through the air, but also to deviate off the pitch. In that time the batsman must make up his mind whether to defend the ball, attack it, leave it to pass the stumps or, if it is aimed at his chin, take evasive action.
When playing a cross-batted shot, such as a pull or a cut, the timing needed to connect with the ball seems impossible. According to a study in Nature Neuroscience, “the batsman must judge the vertical position of the ball to within 3cm (limited by the bat's width) and its time of arrival to within 3 milliseconds (limited by the time the ball takes to pass the effective percussion zone of the bat).”

Put it this way, put anyone through on goal in a PL game and they have a decent chance of scoring it if they're decent at football, put an amateur in front of Dale Steyn and they'd probably die.
Tl;dr: Cricket is harder than football
Rk has been rekt

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4735
That's doing skills and trick shots though, it's equivalent to saying that you can't reverse sweep it over cow corner for 6, basically nobody can even at professional level.

Cricket generally seems easier because less people play it in comparison to football so the standard is lower.

Put it this way, put anyone through on goal in a PL game and they have a decent chance of scoring it if they're decent at football, put an amateur in front of Dale Steyn and they'd probably die.
Tl;dr: Cricket is harder than football
Rk has been rekt

Posted from TSR Mobile

But Steyn's not going to always get you out. Blocking the ball, or opening the bat up to give it a slight edge is more than enough for a batsman with amateur quality and do that to a guy like Steyn's then its probably a 4.

Put Suarez through on goal vs Fleetwood Town's goalkeeper and he's definitely scoring.
Football is harder than cricket.
Rk hasn't been rekt.
Original post by Rk2k14
But Steyn's not going to always get you out.Blocking the ball, or opening the bat up to give it a slight edge is more than enough for a batsman with amateur quality and do that to a guy like Steyn's then its probably a 4.

Put Suarez through on goal vs Fleetwood Town's goalkeeper and he's definitely scoring.
Football is harder than cricket.
Rk hasn't been rekt.

not sure if srs

Steyn would get you out 6 balls out of 6 if he wanted. You wouldn't even see the ball let alone get an edge ffs.

Not sure how your second paragraph is relevant to what I said (in fact it probably backs it up)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4737
not sure if srs

Steyn would get you out 6 balls out of 6 if you want. You wouldn't even see the ball.

Not sure how your second paragraph is relevant to what I said (in fact it probably backs it up)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No he wouldn't. Batsman playing on the defensive would be able to block it.

Second paragraph was referring to the fact that obviously a professional player will be superior over an amateur one. Got to remember a goal is a much bigger target than a wicket.
Original post by Rk2k14
No he wouldn't. Batsman playing on the defensive would be able to block it.

They really wouldn't though. Have you ever faced a 90mph ball?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4739
They really wouldn't though. Have you ever faced a 90mph ball?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it was 85mph. Drove it to deep extra cover.

Latest