The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anyone think Kaka will leave AC Milan in the summer? I don't know how loyal he is, but if they fail to qualify for Europe, many players of his skill would want to move.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Chelsea alongside Ballack and Shevchenko (while he's still got some steam in him) :p: Can't imagine him + Lampard working at all though.

(this is not to say I think he would ever want to be at Chelsea, if he came to the Premiership I would imagine it would be to either Man Utd or Arsenal - but can't see Wenger paying the price for him)
Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
Kaka alongside Hargreaves :yy:
Lol, that would be monstrous. Would never happen, or could it?
Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
Pirlo alongside Flamini :yy:
Lol, what you got against Fab?

Anyways, don't you think the Gattuso/Pirlo combo is very similar to the Fabregas/Flamini combo? Gattuso sits backs, Flamini sits backs. Fabregas creates, Pirlo creates. Fabrgeas and Pirlo are both great passers of the ball. Flamini and Gattuso have very high work rates. Flamini even has Italian descent. All four of them are quite short in stature. The only difference possibly is that Flamini likes to get more involved in play than Gattuso. I would love to go 5 years into time, and see what the Fab/Flam partnership is like.
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Weezy F)
Lol, what you got against Fab?

Anyways, don't you think the Gattuso/Pirlo combo is very similar to the Fabregas/Flamini combo? Gattuso sits backs, Flamini sits backs. Fabregas creates, Pirlo creates. Fabrgeas and Pirlo are both great passers of the ball. Flamini and Gattuso have very high work rates. Flamini even has Italian descent. All four of them are quite short in stature. The only difference possibly is that Flamini likes to get more involved in play than Gattuso. I would love to go 5 years into time, and see what the Fab/Flam partnership is like.
Yes, surely that's the point?! Gattuso does most of the defensive work and Pirlo creates and starts attacks. Now if we have Fabregas and Pirlo, who's going to be that energetic, tough tackler that breaks up opposition attacks?

Fabregas - Gattuso I can understand, Fabregas - Pirlo, I can't. Plus, I can honestly say I'd take Flamini over both of them given he's still young and settled in superbly into the team.
rotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Anyone think Kaka will leave AC Milan in the summer? I don't know how loyal he is, but if they fail to qualify for Europe, many players of his skill would want to move.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Chelsea alongside Ballack and Shevchenko (while he's still got some steam in him) :p: Can't imagine him + Lampard working at all though.

(this is not to say I think he would ever want to be at Chelsea, if he came to the Premiership I would imagine it would be to either Man Utd or Arsenal - but can't see Wenger paying the price for him)
I think he just signed a contract until 2013 with Milan...
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not really. Flamini doesnt sit, he attacks and Fabregas will often cover, they interchange roles. I think Pirlo likes to sit quite deep and dictate the play with his passing. Gattuso will just sit. Which leaves Kaka a free role in AM or as a support striker.
Wouldnt want Pirlo anywhere near our team based on last nights effort. Wasnt too impressed with Pato either.

Still I wouldnt mind Kaka and Nesta for cover
Rafa
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
Kaka alongside Hargreaves :yy:
*drools* :hubba:

Lol, that would be monstrous. Would never happen, or could it?
One can only hope lol
Uncle_fish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Marked the **** out for Fenerbahce getting through last night, even stayed up to see it all happen...not that I like the team much, but because it's just hilarious when a jobber team goes and knocks out someone supposedly top-class.

Also because it was only a few years ago that they were usually finishing bottom of their CL Group each season, consistenly getting drubbed.

Awesome result for t'Arse, but (not read this whole thread yet to check) ..was anyone else finding a familiarity between Milan's goalkeeper last night, and Neville Southall in his later years? He had the greying floppy hair, and seemed rather slow & overweight....really should've saved Cesc's shot, and Walcott's cross went slowly past his feet.

Man Utd, well...they're not winning the tournament this year. Try 4-5-1 against Real Madrid/Barcelona/any English team and it'll be "..out you ****ing go~!". Anyone looking at that game will find nothing to fear out of the team (crappy teamwork, terrible finishing (yes, Rooney), no shape) ..but maybe that was SAF's plan all along....
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by <CJ>)
Would be really odd for them not to be in the competition :s: I wonder if this'll have a knock on effect with their players...
The impact could probably go beyond the San Siro. Whichever team would qualify instead of Milan may well do an Everton and not qualify for the tournament proper, and this would hurt Italy's good old coefficient number. It could jeapordise Italy's fourth Champions League slot. Though I doubt it'd get that bad.

As for Milan, should they not make Europe next season I bet Inter and Juve will be at the front of the queue for the Kakas and Pirlos of the world. Big Premiership and Spanish clubs will be courting them too. Gennaro Gattuso at Chelsea, with Claude Makelele on his way out? Paolo Maldini is off, and Milan as a squad are rather old, so may decide that this team isn't the best vehicle for their individual success any more and look for a move. I think Alex Pato stays at least a season in order to mature and develop with the help of Milan's facilities and coaches.

However I don't think it'll come to that. They're fifth, four points behind with twelve games to go, and now unburdened. I think with their quality and desire they ought to close that gap.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Please tell me I am just imagining that ITV are not covering the Chelsea match tonight?

I've been looking forward to it all day, GAH!!
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well they showed Man Utd's game yesterday, so you should've guessed that the Chelsea game will be on Sky :p:

If you really want to see it, head down to your local pub :beer:
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
Wednesday 5th March

19:45 Chelsea v Olympiakos UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg Sky Sports 2 (18:00-22:30)

19:45 FC Porto v Schalke UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg Sky Sports Interactive (from 19:30)

19:45 Real Madrid v Roma UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg Sky Sports 3 (19:00-22:15)
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really do hate everything about Sky (mainly because I cannot afford it)
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I think I'll be watching Real v Roma. It should be the game with most interest where either team could go through.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Not really. Flamini doesnt sit, he attacks and Fabregas will often cover, they interchange roles. I think Pirlo likes to sit quite deep and dictate the play with his passing. Gattuso will just sit. Which leaves Kaka a free role in AM or as a support striker.
Maybe people forget that while Gattuso is there to protect the back four, the other part of his job is that he's there to protect Pirlo. Much like in gridiron with Pirlo the quarterback and Gattuso a blocker. Obviously he doesn't block off the ball, but he ensures that Pirlo isn't caught in possession (or if he is, to retreive it). Allowing Pirlo to get closer to the goal and to Kaka and Filippo Inzaghi. I think Mathieu Flamini and Fabregas have a similar relationship.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Apparently Cech is out with a thigh injury. Cudicini in to replace him.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
WAAAHT? Five Live's commentary of the Chelsea game is not available online. I don't have AM radio and haven't been able to set up the DAB. :sad:
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Interesting line up:

Cudicini, Ferreira, Terry, Carvalho, A Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, J Cole, Kalou, Drogba

More of a "proper" 4-3-3 although Makelele, Ballack and Lampard is not a combination I think will particularly work in CM. Take out either Ballack or Lampard for Essien and you're onto a winner.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Odd that Michael Essien isn't starting. He ought to be the first name on Chelsea's team sheet (or at worst a close second to Joe Cole). Michael Ballack will no doubt be asked to compromise some attacking intent to protect Frank Lampard. It's a task he can actually do, whether or not he likes it.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Pato alongside Drogba :yy:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads