Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mari_lynne)
    Heya I don't understand how people are using so many sources, I have about 16 in my paper and the EPQ revolves around 4 or 5 key research papers that I just analyse to death so I couldn't really put more in. Do you think sciences will have less sources than the humanities? Ahh this is stressful
    I would add more, I have 30 and am half way through! I'm doing science , medicine so yes they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuremedic2096)
    WOW! I can't emphasis how important it is to show you have planned efficiently! You could have a ground breaking project with poor planning and receive no more than a D! A Gantt chart is very useful, but if you've started you'll just have to pretend you did that first, I'll attach a link to one for you as that's the best way http://www.gantt.com you should have a key and show in some places you have done things not within the time you planned p, this will get you more marks not less! Hope that helps any more things feel free to ask away!
    Thank you! What else do you include in the planning? (Apart from the log of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)
    Thank you! What else do you include in the planning? (Apart from the log of course)
    That also needs to be filled in with thought and care, aqa epq website helps, I was told to reach the top you should have a separate pack to attach as evidence, so this would include your Gantt chart, conversations with experts (expected for A/A*) documented and your selection rejection of sources, make sure you reference everything in the same manner and do it very thoroughly this is good practice for uni where you as my sister was will be thrown in to the deep end with this type of thing, at least you can hit the ground running,or paddling may be more apt!
    Are you aware of AO1,2,3 and 4?!

ReputationRep:
    That also needs to be filled in with thought and care, aqa epq website helps, I was told to reach the top you should have a separate pack to attach as evidence, so this would include your Gantt chart, conversations with experts (expected for A/A*) documented and your selection rejection of sources, make sure you reference everything in the same manner and do it very thoroughly this is good practice for uni where you as my sister was will be thrown in to the deep end with this type of thing, at least you can hit the ground running,or paddling may be more apt!
    Are you aware of AO1,2,3 and 4?!
    To an extent, yes. I have already done my bibliography, its just the extra evidence i need, e.g that grannt chart and anaylsing my sources... Thanks again your help!

ReputationRep:
    That's fine! Good luck, I have by no means finished mine, I hope to have first draft finished in half term so I can edit and redraft a couple of times before I shut myself away in a cupboard and revise for these necessary grades for medical school
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Our teacher only just got us started on the EPQ. I'm still trying to decide what to work on. We're like at the very beginning of the planning. Do you think it's too late?:eek: I feel like I've been deceived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yangg)
    Our teacher only just got us started on the EPQ. I'm still trying to decide what to work on. We're like at the very beginning of the planning. Do you think it's too late?:eek: I feel like I've been deceived.
    Not to worry you or anything but we've basically finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yangg)
    It's fine, some of my lot haven't started, don't forget it's not in until November, it doesn't take that long once you're into it

ReputationRep:
    What are the key points that are the must-haves for getting an A*? So obviously referencing thoroughly. Showing organisation e.g. via gantt chart. Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Is there like some sort of list to go through like a requirement that needs to be met to get the A* grade as I am unaware and can even make a start on my EPQ as I dont know how to start.

Im doing AQA btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Yeah i spent 2 hardcore days with a buddy doing epq. I kinda left it for a like a month and gave it to my teacher, who basically handed back to me my dissertation covered with red marks

Just researched a bit (which helps me too ) and found that theres 4 marking area for aqa. (I found out 2012 it was 45/50 for an A*... gah!)
    1. Manage - So basically just the proposal form (10)
    2. Use resources - Basically not using wikipedia like a goon, referencing etc.(10)
    3. Develop and Realise - Your creation & log (20)
    4. Review - Evaluation & Presentation basically. (10)

So yeah project and log main bit. But thats no excuse to ignore your other stuff! The proposal form is fairly quick to do, likewise presentation and evaluation. So really the tough bit is the section with the most marks

'Mistakes' which i included in mine was stuff like wrong referencing, failure to include an abstract, crappy writing, passive sentences, not enough detail, more up to date information avaiable etc.
    I just got accepted to do the EPQ, I dont have a clue what a proposal form is can you elaborate & also a creation log

ReputationRep:
    February 28th my college want the 5000 word essay and power-point in for.

Currently done 2000 words. Aim is to get a B

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to start the Extended Project Qualification and I want to write it about smoking, but I have no idea what question to use. I take Chemistry, Biology and Maths I thought it would be best to mix all the subjects for example talking about how specific chemicals effect the chemistry in the human body and how they cause health risks. I also wanted to talk about the statistics smoking to do with health risks and age groups most likely to smoke.

Can someone please help me come up with the question to ask?

ReputationRep:
    I just did a big dump on the floor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam1996)
    I'm just about to start the Extended Project Qualification and I want to write it about smoking, but I have no idea what question to use. I take Chemistry, Biology and Maths I thought it would be best to mix all the subjects for example talking about how specific chemicals effect the chemistry in the human body and how they cause health risks. I also wanted to talk about the statistics smoking to do with health risks and age groups most likely to smoke.

Can someone please help me come up with the question to ask?
    If I'm honest I wouldn't do that! The idea of the epq is you make your own informed judgement, that theme doesn't seem to lead you down such a path! How about "Thalidomide: Was gsk really to blame" intr to it all research both sides and evaluate! If that's not the kind of thing you were thinking of I'm happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    guys i've ran out of ideas :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flou_fboco2)
    guys i've ran out of ideas :cry:
    Ideas for what?! Can I help

ReputationRep:
    Ideas for what?! Can I help
    basically I ran out of ideas to write in my EPQ
    im writing about superstition
    here are my headings:
    Superstition and society. 1
    Superstition and UK society (time). 2
    Superstition and society (cultural identity). 3
    Superstition and society (age groups). 4

ReputationRep:
    LOL My whole EPQ was around 1,500 words. The dissertation made up 400 of those . Thank god my grade doesn't matter for my universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmABaws)
    LOL My whole EPQ was around 1,500 words. The dissertation made up 400 of those . Thank god my grade doesn't matter for my universities!
    Haha what did you get? Least you've started.. I'd starting mine in half term!

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.