Maths Uni Chat Watch

Dadeyemi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You know, men can be photoshoped as well as women.
My Alt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
I loved those guys at your college who were out in sun "just sculpting the guns" with nought but boxers on...
Oh yeah sorry about that
Dirac Delta Function
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone used the Burkill and Burkill books, in particular for self teaching?

Are they any good?
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Dirac Delta Function)

Are they any good?
The book is easy and for a physics student it might be good. However, for a maths student that needs to know analysis it is crap. First course book is old and the style is old plus the level of rigor is weak.

Its too old. Not particularly good. To be fair, its crap don't bother with it. Get a book like Rudins or steal notes. http://www.trillia.com/zakon-analysisI.html this is a good pdf book, and free.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Are they any good?
Any would be good I have done some exercises in all the chapters and it was more than acceptable for the first year and they do have a second book published with more advanced material on topology and complex 'sis.

(Original post by Simplicity)
The book is easy and for a physics student it might be good. However, for a maths student that needs to know analysis it is crap. First course book is old and the style is old plus the level of rigor is weak.

Its too old. Not particularly good. To be fair, its crap don't bother with it. Get a book like Rudins or steal notes. http://www.trillia.com/zakon-analysisI.html this is a good pdf book, and free.
eughhhhh

just no

Rudin is great but by no way is it advisable for a first text of self teaching
Dirac Delta Function
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've read Binmore, which is excellent for what it does, but what it does is very basic.

I need to teach myself analysis and linear algebra in my spare time, the latter being essentially from scratch.

Thanks for the Zakon link Simplicity, it looks ok.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I've read Binmore, which is excellent for what it does, but what it does is very basic.

I need to teach myself analysis and linear algebra in my spare time, the latter being essentially from scratch.

Thanks for the Zakon link Simplicity, it looks ok.
Depends how basic do you want. Yeah, what DeanK22 said was correct, I suppose you can buy it and then try to read it in two months or something like that. Just download it off rapidshare or something like that.

Also, for linear algebra. If you can afford it get A modern approach to linear algebra by Poole. Some linear algebra seem useless as they are like this application, then this application. But, maybe I'm biased against applied maths.

MIT have good lectures of linear algebra on youtube.
Dirac Delta Function
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends how basic do you want. Yeah, what DeanK22 said was correct, I suppose you can buy it and then try to read it in two months or something like that. Just download it off rapidshare or something like that.

Also, for linear algebra. If you can afford it get A modern approach to linear algebra by Poole. Some linear algebra seem useless as they are like this application, then this application. But, maybe I'm biased against applied maths.

MIT have good lectures of linear algebra on youtube.
I don't like lectures, they're too slow. I tried the MIT ones and got bored to tears.

I like books with solutions, particularly worked solutions, which is why I started off with Binmore. I'm going to try the Shaum's outline for Linear algebra, it looks good, and then maybe Axler's Linear algebra done right.

EDIT: and I might start my own linear algebra thread, where you lovely people can help confirm my solutions, or help me reach them.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I don't like lectures, they're too slow. I tried the MIT ones and got bored to tears.

I like books with solutions, particularly worked solutions, which is why I started off with Binmore. I'm going to try the Shaum's outline for Linear algebra, it looks good, and then maybe Axler's Linear algebra done right.

EDIT: and I might start my own linear algebra thread, where you lovely people can help confirm my solutions, or help me reach them.
You have good tastes in book. However, Axler's book is second year linear algebra.

On creating a thread like that. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, although not techniquely against the rules.

P.S. Shaums books are good, but they are too problem focused and not enough theory focused. I don't think Schums is sufficient preparation for Axler's book.
Dirac Delta Function
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You have good tastes in book. However, Axler's book is second year linear algebra.

On creating a thread like that. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, although not techniquely against the rules.

P.S. Shaums books are good, but they are too problem focused and not enough theory focused. I don't think Schums is sufficient preparation for Axler's book.
Ah ok, I'll have to see what our Moderating Overlords have to say about it. I might just start a new thread every now and again.
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah ok, I'll have to see what our Moderating Overlords have to say about it. I might just start a new thread every now and again.
As far as freely available LAG textbooks go I've found this useful http://linear.ups.edu/download/fcla-widescreen-2.22.pdf
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by My Alt)
You won a pokermon thingey on a pokermon forum. That is so cool. Have you got the last pokermon battle on youtube.

Whats your pokermon?

P.S. V-zero are you sure the link works? As nothing is showing. Well it opens up a new tab but no pdf appears.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You won a pokermon thingey on a pokermon forum. That is so cool. Have you got the last pokermon battle on youtube.

Whats your pokermon?

P.S. V-zero are you sure the link works? As nothing is showing. Well it opens up a new tab but no pdf appears.
I don't have it on Youtube unfortunately, this is before smogon started i's own youtube channel and started uploading all finals I can't remember my team, it was an ubers battle so I could use anything but arceus. I'm trying to remember the sort of thing I did use probably specs or scarf Kyogre, maybe a SwordsDance Rayquaza. It was definitely my style to use an offensive team :cool:
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Whats your pokermon?

It's a big PDF, it'll take a while to load. Right click and save if you prefer...
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have decided that 26.2 is the point where numbers start getting big.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by My Alt)
I don't have it on Youtube unfortunately, this is before smogon started i's own youtube channel and started uploading all finals I can't remember my team, it was an ubers battle so I could use anything but arceus. I'm trying to remember the sort of thing I did use probably specs or scarf Kyogre, maybe a SwordsDance Rayquaza. It was definitely my style to use an offensive team :cool:
That sounds really cool. Have you entered any other smogon tournaments? If you can win another one you will get it uploaded to youtube. Looking at the rules, they limit your pokemon really badly. What is so broken about arceus anyway?

(Original post by SimonM)
I have decided that 26.2 is the point where numbers start getting big.
Its a shame that there are no uninteresting numbers. Kind makes everything boring.

(Original post by assmaster)
Agreed. I saw a picture of a rah friend on Facebook, where he was topless, his stomach looked like a radiator, and he was just completely HUGE (I can not emphasise his hugeness enough here), and I thought, "woah, lay off the protein shakes/gym/steroids/testosterone" but three of his rah gym freak friends had each commented once, the first saying "**** pecks", the second saying "**** delts", and the last saying "**** lad".
I mean, come off it. The guy was HUGE.
You are a girl and I would call you a rational person. But, yeah you can't blame people like that. Its hard for a male to think what is attractive to girls. But, lol I can't stand contradictory advice. Like go in H and R, its like be a bad boy, then its like be nice. Then, its like personality is improtant, then ten minutes later its not.

Guys are much easier to understand as they go on looks like 90% of the time. Its just girls are confusing as hell, guys are much simpler it would be easier to be gay.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That sounds really cool. Have you entered any other smogon tournaments? If you can win another one you will get it uploaded to youtube. Looking at the rules, they limit your pokemon really badly. What is so broken about arceus anyway?
Swords Dance Extremespeed set. Rapes everything that isn't steel which either brick break or flamethrower does.
Lady Justice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If only Gauss died as a baby.
I forget this thread existed, read through it and see...THIS?!?!

Blasphemy. The world would be a terrible place without Gauss.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Guys are much easier to understand as they go on looks like 90% of the time. Its just girls are confusing as hell, guys are much simpler it would be easier to be gay.
Reckon your sphincter would disagree.
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lady Justice)
I forget this thread existed, read through it and see...THIS?!?!

Blasphemy. The world would be a terrible place without Gauss.
Look around you. Look around you. Look around you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads