Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Yeah I think I'd probably be on the dole if I wasn't doing the PGCE too. I don't know what to do about this assignment; its for a presentation I'm doing Wednesday but I think the papers have to be handed in tomorrow. My course is so badly organised and I'm already behind cause I was signed off before Christmas so Im not entirely sure whats going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My course is a bit of a mish mash too. Just think - this time next week it will be done though! I've just had one to hand in on Friday and it was a massive weight off to hand it in.

(Original post by Bobble1987)
    I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh but did you seriously do this because you couldn't get a job?
    I did. Well actually it's not that I couldn't get a job - I didn't try. But I did the sort of degree where I didn't know what I wanted to do after wards so I did a PGCE because I didn't know what else to do. Not a good reason, I know that, but not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    My course is a bit of a mish mash too. Just think - this time next week it will be done though! I've just had one to hand in on Friday and it was a massive weight off to hand it in.

I did. Well actually it's not that I couldn't get a job - I didn't try. But I did the sort of degree where I didn't know what I wanted to do after wards so I did a PGCE because I didn't know what else to do. Not a good reason, I know that, but not uncommon.
    I won't be able to get it done for tomorrow though; Im worried I'm going to get into trouble. I've got all info I can from my books but its not enough. I only had a 1000 words left so I thought I could easily finish it off this evening. Wish I hadn't been so cocky

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

This is exactly why I don't think you should be allowed to do ITT straight from uni. Ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly why I don't think you should be allowed to do ITT straight from uni. Ridiculous!
    On the other hand, it's what I did and I'm just giving it up after 32 years.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a PGCE student on her first placement. I've found a job I want to apply for in September but don't know what to write in my personal statement. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I won't be able to get it done for tomorrow though; Im worried I'm going to get into trouble. I've got all info I can from my books but its not enough. I only had a 1000 words left so I thought I could easily finish it off this evening. Wish I hadn't been so cocky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean you're struggling for references?

There's quite a lot of mature students on my course and it's quite clear from talking to them that many of them got bored in their old careers and thought they'd give a pgce a bash - guaranteed loan and all. It's not only people fresh out of uni who do a pgce for the wrong reasons, you know.

For maths and sciences you have a large bursary pulling people in to the course even if they weren't initially interested. For things like English and history you find a lot of people who have slowly realised their degree has not left them overly employable, so they turn to a pgce, again tempted by the bursary.

There will always be people pulled into teaching for the wrong reasons. However, we have all had to go through the same application process and so are clearly able to demonstrate some enthusiasm to get on to the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    On the other hand, it's what I did and I'm just giving it up after 32 years.
    I may br remembering incorrectly, but do you work in the private sector? I am thinking of applying for a job in a private school and was looking for some insight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I may br remembering incorrectly, but do you work in the private sector? I am thinking of applying for a job in a private school and was looking for some insight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I do, although I worked for 17 years in state schools before that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent21)
    I'm a PGCE student on her first placement. I've found a job I want to apply for in September but don't know what to write in my personal statement. Any advice?
    Write a list of what defines you as a teacher.. What's different about you e.g. the things you are really passionate about or have special skills in.

Then go through the schools website, policies etc and note down all the things that stand out about the school.

Then take the person specification if there is one or the list of requirements from the ad if not and note next to each one how you meet that. With a concrete example.

Go from there. Mention as many of the person spec things as you can. Try to give a sense of who you are as a teacher, with a paragraph about something you are really passionate about which also ticks the person specification and matches the school's passions.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ... or there are some people like myself who couldn't imagine any other career or job and didn't want to do any other job other than teaching.

ReputationRep:
    How are people managing their social lives/relationships/dating on this course? I feel like I'm constantly having to cancel plans or rearrange things because I have too much to do or something else crops up. I had my first date in God knows how long the other night, and I felt so stressed that I was actually enjoying myself :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Write a list of what defines you as a teacher.. What's different about you e.g. the things you are really passionate about or have special skills in.

Then go through the schools website, policies etc and note down all the things that stand out about the school.

Then take the person specification if there is one or the list of requirements from the ad if not and note next to each one how you meet that. With a concrete example.

Go from there. Mention as many of the person spec things as you can. Try to give a sense of who you are as a teacher, with a paragraph about something you are really passionate about which also ticks the person specification and matches the school's passions.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome list thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    How are people managing their social lives/relationships/dating on this course? I feel like I'm constantly having to cancel plans or rearrange things because I have too much to do or something else crops up. I had my first date in God knows how long the other night, and I felt so stressed that I was actually enjoying myself :/
    It feels like it has taken over my life at the moment. It feels like it is all I am doing. I just feel really tired all the time, I would like a few hours off that's all..! I just think of the bigger picture though and it helps a bit haha.

ReputationRep:
    Social life? What's that?!

I don't do anything on a school night but I really try and get out on a Friday/Saturday... otherwise I get too sucked into the school bubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    Social life? What's that?!

I don't do anything on a school night but I really try and get out on a Friday/Saturday... otherwise I get too sucked into the school bubble.
    I manage dating by not doing it!! Ahh the benefits of being a mature student and 4 years into marriage!

ReputationRep:
    I feel very stressed. I am about to go on my second teaching placement and although my first placement went well. I did find the experience extremely tough and it was only 5 weeks! Plus, it is a new placement in year 5/6 which is worrying me. I know this is part of the course and I intend to put my all into it, but I am concerned about this key stage as I do not have a lot of experience.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsontaylor)
    I feel very stressed. I am about to go on my second teaching placement and although my first placement went well. I did find the experience extremely tough and it was only 5 weeks! Plus, it is a new placement in year 5/6 which is worrying me. I know this is part of the course and I intend to put my all into it, but I am concerned about this key stage as I do not have a lot of experience.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    Changing key stage is always scary, you feel like you've just settled and now are starting from scratch again! Just remember within a couple of weeks it won't seem so scary any more as it won't be unknown.

Good luck!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got a Conference presentation this afternoon, not looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the hardest part. I'm struggling to fit in the everyday stuff like sleeping, eating etc. Definitely no time for a social life! I've heard people say they give themselves a day off at the weekend but I'm not sure how that's possible while on placement.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at my first placement school tomorrow, and then at a school local to me on friday. They both have advantages and disadvantages, and I'm pretty shaky on which I would accept if both offered me the same job. To complicate matters further, I want to work as both a science and maths teacher and both schools have expressed interest. So I could in theory be offered 3 teaching jobs. I'm pretty sure my placement school have moved the interview to before the other one, and they've been hinting heavily they'll offer me the job. Would it make it less likely for me to get a job offer if I asked to wait until after I'd been to my other interview to make my decision?

I went in straight from university, am still really enjoying it and wouldn't have wanted any other job.

(Original post by lawstudent21)
    As someone above said, find the person specification and make sure to evidence everything they ask for. If not, go through their website and get as good an idea of their ethos and try to match to that. As well as that, cram in as much that makes you unique as possible (as long as you can relate it back to why it helps you as a teacher). Be prepared to justify everything you say at interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.