Tom (125)
43.55%
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roobsa)
That would be discrimination and illegal. I really don't think the "errors" in the preview would be about spelling. However, being dyslexic doesn't mean you can't pick up a dictionary and spell check.
Your 3rd sentence kinda shoots your 1st in the foot.

The fact that anyone can pick up a dictionary and check for spelling and grammatical mistakes in a pre-prepared business proposal means that mistakes of those kind demonstrate laziness and nonchalance. Dyslexia is not a reason for those to be present in a final draft and so there's absolutely no discrimination to take into account.
jabed786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roobsa)
That would be discrimination and illegal. I really don't think the "errors" in the preview would be about spelling. However, being dyslexic doesn't mean you can't pick up a dictionary and spell check.

Tom has only taken products to market, which doesn't necessarily mean he has his own business. They're 2 different things. I can't think of a time when Tom has said he runs his own business.

He does have a business actually:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s108/...king-loss.html

A loss can obviously be seen as something bad but its not a huge loss and it may have just started up.

I really hope Susan wins or atleast is the runner up. Yeah she can be irritating but I think her enthusiasm and age sort of make this obvious. I havent seen her ever lose her will power.
Overall she is really good considering what she has done in her age and she has thought of many good decisions on the show.

I think its down to Helen and Susan. But if Helen doesnt have a good business plan then instead of her it may be Tom.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
good result yesterday. natasha = grrrrr.

in terms of who i like to win:
tom > helen > jim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> susan. ugh,susan. is annoying. and looks like fish. -_-'

in terms of who i think will win:
alan sugar's little pet/susan (noooo) > tom > helen (......while has been good throughout,what her business is/plan for one seems unclear) > jim.
Susan looks a lot nicer than some of the other candidates!
Yeah she can be annoying sometimes but I think some of this is down to her being too enthusiasitc and also the other contestants sort of belittled her and made her out to be a pest. We don't really know what many of their business plans are.. the only one who's mentioned quite clearly was Melody who was questioned about it in the boardroom and in Youre Fired.
Maybe Alan likes the fact that susan is a go-getter and has set up a business like he has. But Helen seems appealing because she is well organised and has done well in lots of things like susan.
patrick93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been contemplating this for a while and Natasha really does look like the guy from Kindergarten Cop :rolleyes:
username728604
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)

A loss can obviously be seen as something bad but its not a huge loss and it may have just started up.

I really hope Susan wins or atleast is the runner up. Yeah she can be irritating but I think her enthusiasm and age sort of make this obvious. I havent seen her ever lose her will power.
Overall she is really good considering what she has done in her age and she has thought of many good decisions on the show.

I think its down to Helen and Susan. But if Helen doesnt have a good business plan then instead of her it may be Tom.
I think Tom and Susan and the most business-minded candidates; both and Jim and Helen would be good managers/executives for a business but are both essentially really competent employees. Susan's main weakness is that she's not consistent and goes from getting it really right, to getting it really wrong so from that point of view is a risky bet. With business consistency and sustainability are a couple of the most important things. Tom's weakness (not being forthright enough) imo is unique to being on the show where people are out for themselves, even to the point of being detrimental to winning. In a real life situation where everybody's interests lie with making the business or project a success, people would've listened to Tom's input.
passthedutchie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)

People who are completely happy at what they do are not applying for a job or investment. Future employers would always argue that imperfect people need not apply. But that only happens in dreams. Everybody who applies needs either cash, an investment or experience.

However, one thing that also worries me about that, is that Tom's company simply isn't doing much at all. With a loss of just 1500 pounds, what is his turnover? Probably next to nothing. So how does he spend the day? Is nobody is interested in his services? And/or does he fail at marketing?
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nomes89)
I think Tom and Susan and the most business-minded candidates; both and Jim and Helen would be good managers/executives for a business but are both essentially really competent employees. Susan's main weakness is that she's not consistent and goes from getting it really right, to getting it really wrong so from that point of view is a risky bet. With business consistency and sustainability are a couple of the most important things. Tom's weakness (not being forthright enough) imo is unique to being on the show where people are out for themselves, even to the point of being detrimental to winning. In a real life situation where everybody's interests lie with making the business or project a success, people would've listened to Tom's input.
You have hit the nail on the head. Susan is inconsistant but I think over the long term has made an upward progress. Tom has thought of made decisions indrectly and has sometimes put his neck on the line by voicing out opinions albeit not loud enough and obviously he has shown he can think of concepts and ideas. You're right in real life Alan would listen to Tom's input. In this weeks task Tom was only with Helen and they worked well generally together so its quite clear that when Tom is with fewer people, his views are heard more and he can work better.

Jim is the weakest of them all, I've said it from the start he has charisma which can help a lot in business with selling/negotiating etc. but it isn't enough to manage a business idea. He is like you said a competent employee. Helen is also an 'employee' kind of person but has shown better management skills so if she has a good business plan then maybe she will do good...
passthedutchie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On YF, when the interviewer is on the red carpet asking opinions:

"Helen, she would boss me around. YES I WANT HELEN".

Eh...some of these guys like being eh... punished? I can hear Helen already "Naughty boys"
hey-hey-hey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tom to win!!!!!!!!!!
Jim: sly
Susan: childish, weak
Helen: boring and too serious
IMO
InvisibleGInger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Helen and Tom seriously need to get it on.
username728604
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Susan's definitely on an uphill rise, the only question is whether she's ready right now for this. There's is no doubt that she has the potential and will continue to be successful.

I agree. Jim's the weakest for sure and Helen...we'll have to see what her business plan is like.
im a monster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tom is probably the one who would not fit the typical apprentice model. Which is a good thing, hope he wins.
Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by InvisibleGInger)
Helen and Tom seriously need to get it on.
I don't think Helen likes Tom

There was last week where he belittled her as a prop (some truth in it, hence why it hurt her), and this week when Sugar asked Tom to let her speak.
original_username
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
I don't think Helen likes Tom

There was last week where he belittled her as a prop (some truth in it, hence why it hurt her), and this week when Sugar asked Tom to let her speak.
Yeah she said when they went back to the house that Tom had been a bit naughty. No he just said it how it is. And Tom was speaking more because he did all of the branding and generally did more than her on the task.

Can someone really go from PA to LS' business partner? Hope not, come on Tom!
Tenbinza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I honestly don't understand how Susan is still in this!
original_username
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tenbinza)
I honestly don't understand how Susan is still in this!
Oh, Tebinza, thats really unfair! *cry baby face*

:rolleyes:
sonyhamster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Was in Westfield, London on Tuesday... Come out the tube station and all I hear is.. "Sir, would you like to buy some half price flowers?" Before I could say I have card but no cash, I realise that there's a camera crew in my face!!

Yes, it turned out to be the filming of the junior apprentice - You will be glad to hear that I went to their other store, where I saw Nick Hewer (who is rather short by the way) and bought £6 of flowers to help them out!
Hopple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by original_username)
Yeah she said when they went back to the house that Tom had been a bit naughty. No he just said it how it is. And Tom was speaking more because he did all of the branding and generally did more than her on the task.

Can someone really go from PA to LS' business partner? Hope not, come on Tom!
Oh, I don't blame Tom at all for it, he's pointed out a true aspect of her job which she's uneasy about, and just answered the questions that Sugar put to them as a team because he was better placed.

I think if Helen already has a solid business plan, just needing money to push it through, that'd be enough. However, I think Tom would have a bit more leeway in just seeing where the wind takes the business and responding accordingly.
Xenomorph v2.1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hey-hey-hey)
Tom to win!!!!!!!!!!
Jim: sly
Susan: childish, weak
Helen: boring and too serious
IMO
Tom: incompetent, no business acumen, loves to lose, unsuccessful project manager, man with no balls, man who gets owned by women.

This isn't a popularity contest, yes he's a nice guy but he's probably been the worst performing contestant that's ever made the final of this show. Statistically speaking, which of course what business is all about - the numbers, he has done appallingly.

The only thing that's kept him in is his background, he's an inventor/designer and that's a perfect match for Sugar's product based businesses. This brings into question the entire credibility of the process and his judgement, just comes to show that you can basically lose so many tasks, show no leadership, fail at project managing...and still stay in because of your CV.
Hopple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sonyhamster)
Was in Westfield, London on Tuesday... Come out the tube station and all I hear is.. "Sir, would you like to buy some half price flowers?" Before I could say I have card but no cash, I realise that there's a camera crew in my face!!

Yes, it turned out to be the filming of the junior apprentice - You will be glad to hear that I went to their other store, where I saw Nick Hewer (who is rather short by the way) and bought £6 of flowers to help them out!
Who was the chaperone for the rude team?

They seem to like Shepherd's Bush - I'm sure they could go to a few more (smaller) markets to really test the candidates. Or stick the kids on Oxford Street to watch them get trampled
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads