Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    The latest episode is scary.

Ratings are collapsing, though.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    Why do they need to be maneuverable? All he has to do is keep them in his pocket and press a button and magic happens.

Also, lol at the idea of keeping away from DW news and then going to a discussion thread...
    Yeah but often he used to scan round a whole door frame, which is gonna look funny if he's wearing them lol!

Not that ridiculous, this thread is supposed to be a spoiler free thread. I've had a few things spoiled for me because of some of the work I have to do for my job which sucks. But the spoiler tags allow people to discuss future things, and also people to be free to live without spoilers.

ReputationRep:
    Heres a little bit of information which may be common knowledge to some, just noticed after seeing this advert dozens of times that Nicola Bryant does the Axa healthcare advert, some people probably dont care, and for ones that dont know here she was the 6th Doctors only assistant on screen (you can argue Mel but she was introuduced as a future companion)
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    it is on soon!!!!!!:crazy::dance::excited::groovy::godancing:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another hour yet - the later timeslot plus last weeks cliff hanger makes me quite hopeful for a darker episode, which should fit Capaldi well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not sure what to make of that... Good but anticlimactic I think.

Next week looks very nice though.

I liked that a lot! Though agreed, anticlimatic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good episode and i love paradoxes.

The big question though.. who wrote the 5th symphony?

Also found the history interesting.. "the timelords remembered they had teeth and became the most warlike species in the universe".
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    that was good but i think the first part was better (more action in the 1st bit)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well paced, I liked the thought going into it and the suspense was well worked, athough for what was billed as a fearsome warlord, the fisher king really did very little.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Can't vote in the poll but I haven't voted in it before
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Can't vote in the poll but I haven't voted in it before
    We tried resetting it - I looked and couldn't find it, Roving Fish tried by wiping the poll from season eight. Turns out that doesn't reset it, needs to be deleted and recreated via ModCP so what you're seeing is still the poll from end of season eight, which you must have voted on.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    We tried resetting it - I looked and couldn't find it, Roving Fish tried by wiping the poll from season eight. Turns out that doesn't reset it, needs to be deleted and recreated via ModCP so what you're seeing is still the poll from end of season eight, which you must have voted on.
    Ahhh yeah. I didn't look at the question just saw loads of results without any votes.

ReputationRep:
    I think the first 2 episodes were better because, to be honest, I think a 9 year old could have guessed what would happen in that episode...
    I mean, you know the Doctor wouldn't die like that simply because his biology wouldn't allow it...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's all my fault. :cry2:

I tried!

Do we have the stats from the end of season 8?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    It's all my fault. :cry2:

I tried!

Do we have the stats from the end of season 8?
    Yeah you'll have to get CT to sort it in ModCP if you want a new poll. Maybe just delete it and then do an end of season one each season?

Episode wise, thought it was a let down after a good first part. Paradoxes I find a bit lazy story telling, like "and then they woke up and it was all a dream" and me and my bf already guessed the whole Doctor in stasis chamber thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Yeah you'll have to get CT to sort it in ModCP if you want a new poll. Maybe just delete it and then do an end of season one each season?
    Pickles tried to do it and couldn't.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)

Episode wise, thought it was a let down after a good first part. Paradoxes I find a bit lazy story telling, like "and then they woke up and it was all a dream" and me and my bf already guessed the whole Doctor in stasis chamber thing.
    Can't really agree there, I quite liked the paradoxes, nice to see it cover real life time travel theories, but the stasis chamber was obvious and the whole jerking forwards and backwards through time meant they really didn't do much with the fisher king, which is a shame because he looked like he could be a genuinely threatening and scary villain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Pickles tried to do it and couldn't.
    It took me ages to work out how to do it last Dr Who season...I can't remember but there was an option to edit a poll and then you could go through and delete it, and then we could just add a poll like normal on here.

Can't really agree there, I quite liked the paradoxes, nice to see it cover real life time travel theories, but the stasis chamber was obvious and the whole jerking forwards and backwards through time meant they really didn't do much with the fisher king, which is a shame because he looked like he could be a genuinely threatening and scary villain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah some people like paradoxes, others don't. The odd once in a while I can deal with, if it happens too often I'll get really annoyed.

Yeah shame not to see more of him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    Also, the deadlocked suspended animation chamber? £10 says The Doctor is inside it .
    You all now owe me £10 .

I enjoyed this episode and especially enjoyed the bootstrap paradox, though I admit it can come across as lazy storytelling if you're not a big fan. The whole "my sunglasses must have connected to your WiFi and made the hologram" was mindblowingly lazy, but other than that it was a good episode. I also like the fact that The Doctor is actually Beethoven .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.