Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Called Djokovic in 4 sets!

It's a shame the best we have to offer is Murray, he really is dog shite. Every game with him is the same pattern, one set of good tennis followed by 2-3 sets of moaning and giving up. What was that nonsense about him shouting at someone wearing a blue shirt in the box? He does my absolute nut in. Really hope we can get past these underwhelming Murray vs Djokovic finals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Called Djokovic in 4 sets!

It's a shame the best we have to offer is Murray, he really is dog shite. Every game with him is the same pattern, one set of good tennis followed by 2-3 sets of moaning and giving up. What was that nonsense about him shouting at someone wearing a blue shirt in the box? He does my absolute nut in. Really hope we can get past these underwhelming Murray vs Djokovic finals

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dogshite who can make grand slam finals :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    Dogshite who can make grand slam finals :rolleyes:
    If federer, nedal and Stan were on their A game, he wouldn't stand a chance. But hey, that's my opinion - he's way too angry IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The match won't live particularly long in the memory, I suppose one must congratulate Djokovic for joining a rather prestigious club.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone other than Djokovic fans enjoy men's tennis atm?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congrats to Novak, what he's done over the past year is nothing short of sustained brilliance, and to do the Career Grand Slam while holding all 4 simultaneously is an achievement that no one could have expected possible again. 2015 was probably the greatest year ever compiled by any tennis player, but not only that, the year since Wimbledon last year has been just untouchably good.

BUT, right now, as I said in Australia, it's time for someone to step up and challenge. I remember all the way back to Federer's dominance rooting for someone to challenge his authority, which we got in the form of Nadal. You can't say the same of Murray's ability to foil Djokovic, and today was like watching a recurring nightmare unfold. Murray starting off blazing, looking like he has Nole where he wants him, before the Serb gets that one little opening he needs to kick his game up to another level. When that happens, Murray can't stay with him. Back in their peak years, Rafa and Fedex had the winner's attitude to stay with Nole even if he was starting to redline - see the 2012 AO open final, and the 2014 Wimbledon final. In both matches, Djoker gets on top of Rafa and Roger, but even though they're out-matched, they manage to force fifth sets. Murray can't even make it to a tiebreaker, and it's clear time and again that he just doesn't have the ability to do that. Don't get me wrong, Murray is a fabulous, talented player, but like tennis, it's a game of inches, and Djokovic, Nadal and Federer will always be another level. From a spectator's perspective, it's incredibly disappointing now when you see a Murray-Djokovic Grand Slam final on the schedule, as it's even more of a foregone conclusion than a Nadal-Federer final back in the day.

Here's hoping that someone is ready to step up and do the thing Murray is just not good enough to do right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Does anyone other than Djokovic fans enjoy men's tennis atm?
    I'm finding it difficult for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible match from Djokovic, especially after the disappointment of losing the first set after breaking in the first game. He got his clay court season absolutely right this year, peaking for RG rather than peaking for the masters and coming up short in the final. Amazing achievement to finally complete the career slam and to become only the 3rd player to complete the non-calender grand slam as well as the first to do it on 3 different surfaces, even if he never wins another slam he's undoubtedly one of the best of all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    First of all, congrats to Novak, what he's done over the past year is nothing short of sustained brilliance, and to do the Career Grand Slam while holding all 4 simultaneously is an achievement that no one could have expected possible again. 2015 was probably the greatest year ever compiled by any tennis player, but not only that, the year since Wimbledon last year has been just untouchably good.

BUT, right now, as I said in Australia, it's time for someone to step up and challenge. I remember all the way back to Federer's dominance rooting for someone to challenge his authority, which we got in the form of Nadal. You can't say the same of Murray's ability to foil Djokovic, and today was like watching a recurring nightmare unfold. Murray starting off blazing, looking like he has Nole where he wants him, before the Serb gets that one little opening he needs to kick his game up to another level. When that happens, Murray can't stay with him. Back in their peak years, Rafa and Fedex had the winner's attitude to stay with Nole even if he was starting to redline - see the 2012 AO open final, and the 2014 Wimbledon final. In both matches, Djoker gets on top of Rafa and Roger, but even though they're out-matched, they manage to force fifth sets. Murray can't even make it to a tiebreaker, and it's clear time and again that he just doesn't have the ability to do that. Don't get me wrong, Murray is a fabulous, talented player, but like tennis, it's a game of inches, and Djokovic, Nadal and Federer will always be another level. From a spectator's perspective, it's incredibly disappointing now when you see a Murray-Djokovic Grand Slam final on the schedule, as it's even more of a foregone conclusion than a Nadal-Federer final back in the day.

Here's hoping that someone is ready to step up and do the thing Murray is just not good enough to do right now.
    [=-0I'm a Djokovic fan so I'm not gonna pretend to be sad to see him dominating but at the end of the day sooner or later Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray will have retired and other than some glimmers it doesn't seem like someone's ready to feel the huge gap that the the Big 4 will leave. There are plenty of players with potential: Thiem, Zverev, Kyrgios etc but none of them are the finished article yet. At this rate it'll be more the decline of the top than the rise of a new generation that triggers a changing of the guard. Right now it's a waiting game but who knows how long it'll be till we get another golden age in tennis, again just highlighting how much the Big 4 have carried this sport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    [=-0I'm a Djokovic fan so I'm not gonna pretend to be sad to see him dominating but at the end of the day sooner or later Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray will have retired and other than some glimmers it doesn't seem like someone's ready to feel the huge gap that the the Big 4 will leave. There are plenty of players with potential: Thiem, Zverev, Kyrgios etc but none of them are the finished article yet. At this rate it'll be more the decline of the top than the rise of a new generation that triggers a changing of the guard. Right now it's a waiting game but who knows how long it'll be till we get another golden age in tennis, again just highlighting how much the Big 4 have carried this sport
    Agreed. All young guns to date have fallen by the way side even as the big 4 decline.

I still think that a fit Del Potro could crush it without opposition for a few years but who knows if he will be back to his best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Agreed. All young guns to date have fallen by the way side even as the big 4 decline.

I still think that a fit Del Potro could crush it without opposition for a few years but who knows if he will be back to his best.
    Will he be back for Wimbledon?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge Novak fan and supporter but it makes me really sad seeing Murray losing to him. Wish they could both win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Will he be back for Wimbledon?
    Yeah. He pulled out of the French essentially because he knows clay is his worst surface and he wanted to prepare for grass (no injury apparently. He and Federer are at Stuttgart this week before Queens and Halle and then Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. He pulled out of the French essentially because he knows clay is his worst surface and he wanted to prepare for grass (no injury apparently. He and Federer are at Stuttgart this week before Queens and Halle and then Wimbledon.
    Dark horse maybe? Suppose we'll see with the tournaments before Wimbledon. I've missed his forehand from the Gods. He'll probably be my second player after Stan, whom I don't much fancy on the grass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Dark horse maybe? Suppose we'll see with the tournaments before Wimbledon. I've missed his forehand from the Gods. He'll probably be my second player after Stan, whom I don't much fancy on the grass.
    His first round is tomorrow or Tuesday against Dimitrov so i expect him to crash out personally. I do think he's a brilliant too though.

ReputationRep:

Delpo's been so unlucky to have so many of his best years stolen due to his wrist injuries but given how older players are dominating the game now hopefully he still has a couple of years left to get back to the top where he belongs.

ReputationRep:
    How long until we start talking about Djokovic as GOAT?

He's now on 12 grand slam titles and Federer's 17 titles now don't look that far away with Murray being the only other decent competitor but still a loser (8 out of 10 finals lost).

Nadal is and should be seen as the GOAT on clay but I don't think he has a better claim than Federer at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Nole is a serbian scumbag who's ruining the men's game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voltaire98)
    Nole is a serbian scumbag who's ruining the men's game
    Nice, bringing something as irrelevant as nationality into it. Are you sure you're not the scumbag? If you don't like it, don't watch.

ReputationRep:
    Maria Sharapova has been banned from tennis for two years by an independent tribunal for failing a drugs test.

Sharapova was provisionally suspended in early March after revealing she had tested positive for meldonium at that year’s Australian Open. She will not be allowed to compete until 26 January 2018.

The 29-year-old Russian said she had been using the substance, under the name of mildronate, after it was prescribed by her doctor in 2006 to deal with health issues such as an irregular heartbeat and a history of diabetes in her family.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...test-meldonium

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/36482288

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.