Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I admit it's very tough to disprove, hence my lack of certainty.
    It is worse than very tough it is like trying to disprove god, i would recommend you become skeptical of what you are told and require proof before you believe things.

She talked about possibly also taking civil action which only requires 51% certainty which would mean she would succeed.

I know 100% she didnt get 600 rape threats when she said she did and im 95% certain she didnt receive any but it would be easy for her to prove me wrong.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Liberals>tories>labour
    I assume your a Tory in RL. It would be odd to have that order with Farron in charge.

ReputationRep:
    It is worse than very tough it is like trying to disprove god, i would recommend you become skeptical of what you are told and require proof before you believe things.

She talked about possibly also taking civil action which only requires 51% certainty which would mean she would succeed.

I know 100% she didnt get 600 rape threats when she said she did and im 95% certain she didnt receive any but it would be easy for her to prove me wrong.
    The thing is, with deities we don't have an underlying sample. The vast, vast majority of women who claim to receive rape threats on the internet have actually received them. Without a good reason to believe that this is an abnormal case, we must therefore assign this a high probability.

Also, I think your methods are ****ed up. I would be surprised if there were any women in prominent positions who have an online presence who have never received a rape threat. Hell, I've received a couple on forums where I haven't revealed my gender, and I'm just a nobody.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, with deities we don't have an underlying sample. The vast, vast majority of women who claim to receive rape threats on the internet have actually received them. Without a good reason to believe that this is an abnormal case, we must therefore assign this a high probability.

Also, I think your methods are ****ed up. I would be surprised if there were any women in prominent positions who have an online presence who have never received a rape threat. Hell, I've received a couple on forums where I haven't revealed my gender, and I'm just a nobody.
    I'm not denying that people receive them and a lot of the time they are telling the truth but i know this is not one of those times.

I would say the tweet that started this shows it is an abnormal case.

In most case people document it especially when they are public figures and she has had no problem sharing them across different platforms before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I assume your a Tory in RL. It would be odd to have that order with Farron in charge.
    In real life i dont really have a party i will vote on policy but i do tend to be towards the right when i did a political compas test i was a centre roght libertarian.

I did vote tory at the last general election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Donald Trump illuminati confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    Arguing with people on twitter is always so annoying, too few characters to argue properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Arguing with people on twitter is always so annoying, too few characters to argue properly
    It's worse when you are 1 over the limit
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I would argue it's an invaluable thing to be able to do though because it gives you practice in making points more concisely than you would otherwise have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would argue it's an invaluable thing to be able to do though because it gives you practice in making points more concisely than you would otherwise have to
    It would depend on what you are debating.
    And how many people are involved
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I still maintain that in general things like Twitter are good for things, last year as some training relating to sports committees we had to think of an idea and then condense it down and down and down into fewer sentences, words, characters because it's an important skill to be able to get an idea across in single sentence if need be. I see this every time in our campaigning on the EU, very few people want a two hour long lecture in the streets on a nice (or miserable) day, what do they normally ask for if anything? Something like main three arguments in a minute. The ability to state a position and a couple of reasons why or brief elaborations to make the point in a sentence or two (admittedly more than the 140 characters for Twitter) is far from useless.

Somewhat ironic the length of that post, may in the morning try to compress the argument to 140 characters to demonstrate the point though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "A concise post like this gets your point across quickly without needing major time investment, you can always elaborate later as is required"

That's bang on 140, I did have it in 72 but decided to add a bit more detail to the argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They still exist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Is the fact that Twitter have investigated these 'threats' and decided that they don't break there rules proof?
    "We reviewed the content and determined that it was not in violation of the Twitter rules”.
    https://support.twitter.com/articles/18311
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm sure Mr Trump is delighted that the North Koreans support him to become president.

ReputationRep:
    See trump brings nations together

ReputationRep:
    Is the fact that Twitter have investigated these 'threats' and decided that they don't break there rules proof?
    "We reviewed the content and determined that it was not in violation of the Twitter rules”.
    https://support.twitter.com/articles/18311
    Can you link me to the source of that quote?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    See trump brings nations together
    Yes, the U.K. Hate him, Russia love him and so does North Korea... Great leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes, the U.K. Hate him, Russia love him and so does North Korea... Great leader.
    I don't hate him and many others in the country don't.
    It seems to me that electing a president who is also liked by the enemy may help reduce the threat of war between these nations.
    Would you prefer Hilary the war hawk Clinton?

The recent leaders haven't reduced the tension so why not take a chance?

ReputationRep:
    Can you link me to the source of that quote?
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...itter-11412368

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.