Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    How are people managing their social lives/relationships/dating on this course? I feel like I'm constantly having to cancel plans or rearrange things because I have too much to do or something else crops up. I had my first date in God knows how long the other night, and I felt so stressed that I was actually enjoying myself :/
    I'm wondering how I'll fit a part time job in as I won't be able manage on a student loan alone! I don't do much socially at the moment apart from the odd sci-fi convention I go to every few months which I know I'll have to cut back on :eek:. Oh and my volunteering at Brownies plus a homework club I help out at every week but I may have to stop at least one when the course starts…. This is assuming I get on for September!

ReputationRep:
    I rang up a prospective school to see if they accepted visits and they were really rude! Like asking "why would you want to visit?"

I don't know if our uni have told us wrong but we were told visiting the school is the norm and you should do it or ask if you can because it gives you a better chance of the job. Whereas I feel it has lowered my chances at this school because she made me feel like an idiot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I rang up a prospective school to see if they accepted visits and they were really rude! Like asking "why would you want to visit?"

I don't know if our uni have told us wrong but we were told visiting the school is the norm and you should do it or ask if you can because it gives you a better chance of the job. Whereas I feel it has lowered my chances at this school because she made me feel like an idiot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was definitely told the same by my uni...very odd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    I was definitely told the same by my uni...very odd!
    Universities and schools operate on very different ideas of what is practical. When I was a mentor, I often had to explain some of the basic facts of school life to lecturers who had either never been teachers or had forgotten what it was really like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Changing key stage is always scary, you feel like you've just settled and now are starting from scratch again! Just remember within a couple of weeks it won't seem so scary any more as it won't be unknown.

Good luck!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!! I am glad I am not alone in feeling this and it lovely to hear that.
    xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    I'm wondering how I'll fit a part time job in as I won't be able manage on a student loan alone! I don't do much socially at the moment apart from the odd sci-fi convention I go to every few months which I know I'll have to cut back on :eek:. Oh and my volunteering at Brownies plus a homework club I help out at every week but I may have to stop at least one when the course starts…. This is assuming I get on for September!
    Having a part time job at the same time will kill you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do the PGCE so anything on top of that is probably going to be too much.

I barely even see my family now and I have a couple of hours a week where I just sit down with my fiancée and that's a luxury that many don't seem to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Having a part time job at the same time will kill you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do the PGCE so anything on top of that is probably going to be too much.

I barely even see my family now and I have a couple of hours a week where I just sit down with my fiancée and that's a luxury that many don't seem to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that may be pushing it. I did the PGCE last year and worked 9 hours a week and at times 12. It's doable but it needs good organisation and, if you're lucky, mentors who don't expect that much from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All the schools I looked at applying to or have been placed or worked at would happily accept visits from applicants, many actually arranged set dates for visits.

There are some which can have odd policies though. I went in to ask for an informal chat about a job (wasn't ire I was qualified) in a nursery, they seemed very confused about why I would possibly want to know more about a job before applying!!! Turns out the company has strict rules about that sort of thing to try to remove bias in choosing people for the job. Problem is I always want to see the place I'm gonna be working beforehand.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    I think that may be pushing it. I did the PGCE last year and worked 9 hours a week and at times 12. It's doable but it needs good organisation and, if you're lucky, mentors who don't expect that much from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have nothing but respect for you! It'd kill me. I'm barely ever awake when I'm on placement unless I have school or uni work to be doing. Maybe it's because my uni give us insane placements and additional work that kills us? Yesterday was my first day at my new placement and I've already taken a ks5 lesson without supervision and I'm doing a starter with one of my classes today.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of week 2 of my second placement now! It's going really well so far. I'm teaching all English, Reciprocal Reading, Computing and Art this week. Quite intense. Also helping out with whatever else I can whenever I can!

ReputationRep:
    Attempting to drive to school tomorrow. I just KNOW I'm going to park in somebody's space :eek:

Tactics please? Furthest away from the door seems like a good bet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Did a starter with two classes today. The first class were fine but in the second I felt really uncomfortable as there were two lads who kept laughing every time I spoke. I'm also wondering if its actually worth me doing the course as I don't think I'm going to get enough teaching hours to pass; I need 100 and I've only done 9 so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    I manage dating by not doing it!! Ahh the benefits of being a mature student and 4 years into marriage!
    But now there will be things that you won't be able to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Did a starter with two classes today. The first class were fine but in the second I felt really uncomfortable as there were two lads who kept laughing every time I spoke. I'm also wondering if its actually worth me doing the course as I don't think I'm going to get enough teaching hours to pass; I need 100 and I've only done 9 so far!
    How does that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How does that work?
    I'm going FE and unlike Primary and Secondary where you have two placements you don't have don't have a set number of placements (so you can stay with the same one all year or have several) you just need to complete teaching hours. I only recently started my placement but did some teaching hours before Christmas doing cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Universities and schools operate on very different ideas of what is practical. When I was a mentor, I often had to explain some of the basic facts of school life to lecturers who had either never been teachers or had forgotten what it was really like.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    But now there will be things that you won't be able to do.
    Such as..?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going FE and unlike Primary and Secondary where you have two placements you don't have don't have a set number of placements (so you can stay with the same one all year or have several) you just need to complete teaching hours. I only recently started my placement but did some teaching hours before Christmas doing cover.
    Going off hours instead of days sounds like a better idea. We need a minimum amount of days (can't remember how many), and I spent about 40 days on my first placement but maybe only realistically taught ten hours. I feel like I haven't actually had any proper experience teaching yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Going off hours instead of days sounds like a better idea. We need a minimum amount of days (can't remember how many), and I spent about 40 days on my first placement but maybe only realistically taught ten hours. I feel like I haven't actually had any proper experience teaching yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thing is its not easy to get the hours; several other people in my class are in the same position as me and I think theres even one or two who haven't got any at all. A few of us were saying the other week that we'd prefer it if we had two placements like with primary and secondary. I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to go into teaching now and leave and look for a job instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thing is its not easy to get the hours; several other people in my class are in the same position as me and I think theres even one or two who haven't got any at all. A few of us were saying the other week that we'd prefer it if we had two placements like with primary and secondary. I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to go into teaching now and leave and look for a job instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well surely your uni has a responsibility to ensure you get the hours? You can't pay £9000 and not complete the hours.

Placements are probably easier, I just meant from an experience point of view, I'd feel more confident if I had to do 100 hours.

I'm having doubts too. Nothing wrong with that. I had a friend who did a post 16 pgce last year and she's now doing support work at a sixth form and the pgce really helped her get the job, so I think it can help with other things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.