Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Well, given that I'm on holiday with sporadic internet access, updating the past Twitter feed has not been my priority.
    I think we should all just accept our 'resounding failure' and solemnly walk to the Gulag where we belong.

ReputationRep:
    You failed so miserably and I'm like not even talking to you right now. How can you be this lame?! The electorate deserve an apology!!! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You failed so miserably and I'm like not even talking to you right now. How can you be this lame?! The electorate deserve an apology!!! :awesome:
    Now Now off you jog on we don't need lectures from tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    Now Now off you jog on we don't need lectures from tories.
    It was… a joke? :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    A 'resounding failure' as well XD You're not the most sociable character are you?
    And anyway it was just one member's little idea that they chose to act on, I personally have only checked the page out once (after all I believe TSR stuff should stay on site) - so its little wonder the rest of Twitter didn't jump at the opportunity to see updates from a model party on a student forum lol
    You mean you didn't have Twitter trending about your monthly output win last night.

#Success

ReputationRep:
    On behalf of all capitalists I have to thank you enormously.

The revelation that an extremist Republican who hates the union and wants to give territory away will win in the first round will assure a victory in 2020 and make the victory so much sweeter and more solid.

I knew some of your leftier RL members didn't care about winning but I never knew there were so many.

If he wins in September I will at the earliest opportunity be putting 20 on a majority of 100 for the Tories and am quite prepared to screenshot the betting slip.

Although I would like choice which you've robbed from me (Miliband was at least worth a manifesto read) this is the sweetest news of the weak so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    On behalf of all capitalists I have to thank you enormously.

The revelation that an extremist Republican who hates the union and wants to give territory away will win in the first round will assure a victory in 2020 and make the victory so much sweeter and more solid.

I knew some of your leftier RL members didn't care about winning but I never knew there were so many.

If he wins in September I will at the earliest opportunity be putting 20 on a majority of 100 for the Tories and am quite prepared to screenshot the betting slip.

Although I would like choice which you've robbed from me (Miliband was at least worth a manifesto read) this is the sweetest news of the weak so far.
    As one of the biggest Corbynites I fit your description with a few changes.

First, I (and many others) disagree with the assumption that the only way to gain power is to bribe the middle classes in a race to the bottom. I believe that Kendall and Corbyn are the only two able to even make a dent, with Kendall being very savvy and Corbyn as I say completely changing the field of play.

On an economic argument, I have hopes that we don't simply copy the French system of high tax rates, but introduce perhaps the 50p rate, maybe luxury goods taxes etc. He also challenged the corporate subsidy of 93bn which no else even talks about. He talks on points that no one hears through the media or even via Labour, a pleasant change.

He seems a genuinely nice guy, there are lots of pics of him on the train, his expenses are minimal and he fits the image of what I think politicians SHOULD be. He is also winning back the old UKIPpers , invigorating the youth and I suspect his age may make him popular to an extent with the pensioners.

The Republican event I don't know in great detail, but he crosses another boundary unacceptable to you, he is prepared to talk to people who are marked out by some as terrorists and nothing more for the greater good. How else will we get Israel and Palestine to resolve itself? Work with Iran? Benefit NI? The Tories back one side only and the rest are terrorists/scum, there is no compromise.

Milliband should have stayed on, but now we've a great chance. If you to offer me a loss in 2020 but by 2025 a close contest with a genuine left wing Labour, I'd take it.

We're Labour, opposing Tories is what we should be doing, not trying to copy them. On our current path, we'd be able to come close, but not outdo the Tories, we need a change.

Plus, of all politicians I am aware of, I think he is the one that most resembles me (all of them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    As one of the biggest Corbynites I fit your description with a few changes.

First, I (and many others) disagree with the assumption that the only way to gain power is to bribe the middle classes in a race to the bottom. I believe that Kendall and Corbyn are the only two able to even make a dent, with Kendall being very savvy and Corbyn as I say completely changing the field of play.

On an economic argument, I have hopes that we don't simply copy the French system of high tax rates, but introduce perhaps the 50p rate, maybe luxury goods taxes etc. He also challenged the corporate subsidy of 93bn which no else even talks about. He talks on points that no one hears through the media or even via Labour, a pleasant change.

He seems a genuinely nice guy, there are lots of pics of him on the train, his expenses are minimal and he fits the image of what I think politicians SHOULD be. He is also winning back the old UKIPpers , invigorating the youth and I suspect his age may make him popular to an extent with the pensioners.

The Republican event I don't know in great detail, but he crosses another boundary unacceptable to you, he is prepared to talk to people who are marked out by some as terrorists and nothing more for the greater good. How else will we get Israel and Palestine to resolve itself? Work with Iran? Benefit NI? The Tories back one side only and the rest are terrorists/scum, there is no compromise.

Milliband should have stayed on, but now we've a great chance. If you to offer me a loss in 2020 but by 2025 a close contest with a genuine left wing Labour, I'd take it.

We're Labour, opposing Tories is what we should be doing, not trying to copy them. On our current path, we'd be able to come close, but not outdo the Tories, we need a change.

Plus, of all politicians I am aware of, I think he is the one that most resembles me (all of them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is exactly my point, you'd rather oppose the Tories than get close at the next election.

Also, do you have evidence that he's attracting Kippers?

The main reason i don't understand (bar the principal vs power thing - better to be in power and do half than be in opposition and do nothing) is the Maths of it all..

Study suggests 2 things..

1) The combined Green-Lib vote cost Labour 23 seats so lets'd divide roughly and come up with say 7 seats for the Green vote and 16 for the Lib vote

2) A 6% increase in the Scottish Labour vote gives Labour just 2 seats

So getting the Maths..

We assume there will be a net Green-Lab swing so give him half (there will be genuine Greens there) he gets 2% of the national vote and we'll give him 4 seats.

Let's also assume he gets 8% increase in Scotland (he won't) so that gives him 1% of the UK total and let's say 6 seats.

Altogether then his grand gains are 3% of the vote and about 10 seats.

But now we have the Liberals and Tories.. now i highly doubt the Libs will fall further so they probably get a net swing to them and i also strongly suspect that the remaining middle class floaters will head blue so that's a net Lab-Con swing and there are more than 10 seats looking tasty for the Tories if they hold their national vote (probable if there's a Corbyn scare campaign combined with no suicide during the EU referendum).

But even if we assume they simply match the Green-SNP gains combined then Corbyn makes no progress.

So you see, for Corbyn not to be a step backward his fate depends entirely on Ukip and non voters and i personally don't believe he's really going to get any in sufficient quantities.

And this assumes that the Tories can't squeeze more Ukip votes themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    This is exactly my point, you'd rather oppose the Tories than get close at the next election.

Also, do you have evidence that he's attracting Kippers?

The main reason i don't understand (bar the principal vs power thing - better to be in power and do half than be in opposition and do nothing) is the Maths of it all..

Study suggests 2 things..

1) The combined Green-Lib vote cost Labour 23 seats so lets'd divide roughly and come up with say 7 seats for the Green vote and 16 for the Lib vote

2) A 6% increase in the Scottish Labour vote gives Labour just 2 seats

So getting the Maths..

We assume there will be a net Green-Lab swing so give him half (there will be genuine Greens there) he gets 2% of the national vote and we'll give him 4 seats.

Let's also assume he gets 8% increase in Scotland (he won't) so that gives him 1% of the UK total and let's say 6 seats.

Altogether then his grand gains are 3% of the vote and about 10 seats.

But now we have the Liberals and Tories.. now i highly doubt the Libs will fall further so they probably get a net swing to them and i also strongly suspect that the remaining middle class floaters will head blue so that's a net Lab-Con swing and there are more than 10 seats looking tasty for the Tories if they hold their national vote (probable if there's a Corbyn scare campaign combined with no suicide during the EU referendum).

But even if we assume they simply match the Green-SNP gains combined then Corbyn makes no progress.

So you see, for Corbyn not to be a step backward his fate depends entirely on Ukip and non voters and i personally don't believe he's really going to get any in sufficient quantities.

And this assumes that the Tories can't squeeze more Ukip votes themselves.
    Entirely possible. But we as you pointed out have a different approach, hence I don't actually mind anyone who votes for Kendall for the reasons you suggested, because a half baked Labour would still be preferential. A dangerous precedent though.

I would worry about the Libs absorbing our votes should we shift left, but I also think we can make an argument in Scotland for staying the Union, with less negative campaigning.

Surely as UKIP is at core a conservative party, I think it's left swing was just opportunism. I would think UKIP would push back right again.

Evidence is anecdotal, I have an incredibly Eurosceptic workplace (I can relate) with Hungarians and UKIP voters aplenty. Of the UKIP voters I've talked to they've been Labour voters but refused to vote for them in 2015. They were Eurosceptic, hence UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    An update on Labour's MP list:

RayApparently (L)
    junaidk7 (DL)
    Saracen's Fez (C)
    cranbrook_aspie
    DanE1998
    honeywell17
    James222 (currently being proxied by DarrenBCFC)
    Kalail
    localblackguy
    RotatingPhasor
    St. Brynjar (currently being proxied by Saoirse:3)
    StatusRed
    That Bearded Man
    tmpearce99
    United1892

ReputationRep:
    Should the party apologise for the decision to join in the military action in Iraq in the noughties?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Should the party apologise for the decision to join in the military action in Iraq in the noughties?
    Personally, I don't think so. It was an elite within the party that had organised it, and we won't know the actualities of what happened until the Chilcot report is released, so until that happens, no I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    An update on Labour's MP list:

RayApparently (L)
    junaidk7 (DL)
    Saracen's Fez (C)
    cranbrook_aspie
    DanE1998
    honeywell17
    James222 (currently being proxied by DarrenBCFC)
    Kalail
    localblackguy
    RotatingPhasor
    St. Brynjar (currently being proxied by Saoirse:3)
    StatusRed
    That Bearded Man
    tmpearce99
    United1892
    Well done on filling all your seats.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Probably, as it was a big mistake of ours and a blot on what was otherwise a very good government.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Thanks. And with 3 candidates vying to take over the seat St. Brynjar has now vacated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Believe it or not but we've actually got active members on standby and could easily fill a few more in.

How are things with you BM? Hope this all isn't too much of a shock to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    How are things with you BM? Hope this all isn't too much of a shock to you.
    I'm alright, thanks. No comment on the latter...

ReputationRep:
    It did in Ed Miliband's first speech as leader.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Labour MP Election Update
    James Milibanter has been elected MP for the seat vacated by St. Brynjar.
    Congratulations to our new MP, commiserations to the other candidates. It was a particularly good election.

My thanks to Saoirse:3 for proxying in the mean time.

MHoC Speaker: Birchington
    Party Chair: Saracen's Fez

-RA

ReputationRep:
    Random I know - but I don't suppose anyone in here is in touch with dear Stannis?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Random I know - but I don't suppose anyone in here is in touch with dear Stannis?
    Not in regular contact, but can if I wish to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.