Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Submit To Jameel)
    Yo Wah gwan Abdul-Salim:rofl:

So what you saying Salim?:curious:

Got yourself a gyal yet or still searching?
    No comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Silence. She's actually quite beautiful. Can confirm.
    Don't tell me to be quiet.:naughty:

Abidi-Kalim I will rip you to shreds with my trolling.:yes:

That is just a heads up.:wink2:

ReputationRep:
    Yo Abidi-Camel I heard you been flirting with a light skin on TSR?:knuddel:

Apparently you're meeting up on boxing day for some chinese food.:kungfu:

:wink2:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Submit To Jameel)
    Yo Abidi-Camel I heard you been flirting with a light skin on TSR?:knuddel:

Apparently you're meeting up on boxing day for some chinese food.:kungfu:

:wink2:.
    Stalk skills on fleek.

ReputationRep:
    Don't flatter yourself Abdi-Camel.:hand:

I was about to send you a VM when I saw you chatting to some Arab chick.:wink2:

Does she know you're Somali:laugh:

She might runaway when she finds out.:run:

ReputationRep:
    One week and half left till uni opens rah time flew. How was everyones holiday?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Salam guys, I haven't been on the Somali soc page for a while lol.

What do you guys think about Somali people's attitude towards mental health? I had a general discussion about this topic today with some somali people and I was so shocked about what I heard walahi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)

What do you guys think about Somali people's attitude towards mental health? I had a general discussion about this topic today with some somali people and I was so shocked about what I heard walahi.
    W.salaam. I think it is seen as a quite a taboo topic. What did you find?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

How come?

ReputationRep:

Never really thought about it tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Never really thought about it tbh
    Do you believe it exists.

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe it exists.
    Idk. Im not reallt exposed to memtally ill people. Well my mums best friend has a mentally disabled daughter but thats about it and nobody thinks negative of her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    W.salaam. I think it is seen as a quite a taboo topic. What did you find?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How come?
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Yeah, very taboo. I know in some cultures mental health issues are kept on the down-low because of this but I never realised the Somali culture did too. I was having a discussion about it with some Somali friends & I later asked my mum what she thought of it. Shocked to find out that its really taboo in our culture. My mum told me a few stories/examples she knows of people whose children suffered bipolar/other disorders and instead of seeking help they just swept it under the carpet for fear of exposure. No medical treatment, just quran saar basically (praying over it).

Also, some parents/the older generation believe that if someone has mental health issues, they won't get married. No one will marry them or their siblings (you know how somali ppl know everything and everyone, word gets around). Shocking, right? Never knew that. Again, not everyone thinks like that in the older generation/our generation, but I never knew that some somali people have that mentality. I know its like that in Nigeria too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, very taboo. I know in some cultures mental health issues are kept on the down-low because of this but I never realised the Somali culture did too. I was having a discussion about it with some Somali friends & I later asked my mum what she thought of it. Shocked to find out that its really taboo in our culture. My mum told me a few stories/examples she knows of people whose children suffered bipolar/other disorders and instead of seeking help they just swept it under the carpet for fear of exposure. No medical treatment, just quran saar basically (praying over it).

Also, some parents/the older generation believe that if someone has mental health issues, they won't get married. No one will marry them or their siblings (you know how somali ppl know everything and everyone, word gets around). Shocking, right? Never knew that. Again, not everyone thinks like that in the older generation/our generation, but I never knew that some somali people have that mentality. I know its like that in Nigeria too.
    Yeah I've noticed this too. My mum was telling me about various Somali women who run away with their children to Africa after being told by the school that their kid is autistic or things like that. A lot of the time, I don't even think they acknowledge it and even if they do, they kind of ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canttellyou)
    Yeah I've noticed this too. My mum was telling me about various Somali women who run away with their children to Africa after being told by the school that their kid is autistic or things like that. A lot of the time, I don't even think they acknowledge it and even if they do, they kind of ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh

ReputationRep:
    Salaam everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have been on this thread.

How are all you guys doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMystryXxX)
    Salaam everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have been on this thread.

How are all you guys doing?
    You're so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    You're so annoying.
    ? That was a bit un called for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.