Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk XII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't hate him and many others in the country don't.
    It seems to me that electing a president who is also liked by the enemy may help reduce the threat of war between these nations.
    Would you prefer Hilary the war hawk Clinton?

The recent leaders haven't reduced the tension so why not take a chance?
    Trump would make tensions in the Middle East and terrorist threats worse so yes I prefer Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Nevertheless, I'm more inclined to think that she's overreacting rather than outright lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would argue it's an invaluable thing to be able to do though because it gives you practice in making points more concisely than you would otherwise have to
    A fair point, but it doesn't always allow you to get your whole point across in one tweet which can lead to misunderstanding sadly

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see that John Major is topping TSR's poll in best PM since 1970: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4135289
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Interesting to see that John Major is topping TSR's poll in best PM since 1970: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4135289
    His competition isn't great though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    His competition isn't great though tbh.
    Thatcher!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I feel that it's not that Major did lots of things well, more he did less wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I love Major. Makes the current lot in the running for leadership look dreadful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thatcher!
    :eek: She's the worst!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I love Major. Makes the current lot in the running for leadership look dreadful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are quite bad - a fish, a witch, a clown and a snake.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are spot on there- Boris Johnson would put this country at risk as he has so little grasp of detail, and Michael Gove would offend many by his methods.

John Major is a person whose policies you would disagree with, but as a next door neighbour or as someone you'd have a day out at cricket, you'd get on with very well. He has also been a dignified ex Prime Minister making few and carefully chosen interventions, unlike Tony Blair.

ReputationRep:
    Sent to see sunny afternoon today at the Harond Pinter, got upgraded to seats at the front so i was sitting with my girlfriend and all the middle class people, we fit in rathrr well actaully.

Great musical though id recommend it to anyone. I want to see it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you make the distinction between PM and party leader then he has a fair claim. The first half of his tenure saw him inherit recession but achieve a big foreign policy success in Iraq while the second half saw him preside over the first half of the near perfect 93-03 economic decade while making significant progress in Ireland. He also did things in a way which was much less decisive than Thatcher.

Thatcher was incredible too and did massive positive things for the country but she had a habit of not considering the long term consequences (or being too ideologically attached).

Generally speaking i think the UK got very lucky between 79-07 in that we had the greatest leaders since Gladstone-Disraeli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If you make the distinction between PM and party leader then he has a fair claim. The first half of his tenure saw him inherit recession but achieve a big foreign policy success in Iraq while the second half saw him preside over the first half of the near perfect 93-03 economic decade while making significant progress in Ireland. He also did things in a way which was much less decisive than Thatcher.

Thatcher was incredible too and did massive positive things for the country but she had a habit of not considering the long term consequences (or being too ideologically attached).

Generally speaking i think the UK got very lucky between 79-07 in that we had the greatest leaders since Gladstone-Disraeli.
    Yes, certainly- Major's time was split into 2 halves.

Personally; I like Thatcher, her personality etc- Major had a lot to live upto; and his decisiveness was always going to be compared to Thatcher, whether good or not.

Yes, I do agree with you 79-07 had great leadership. Although on the other side of the house, Mr Blair was a very charismatic figure; who amongst other things progressed the peace process in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    My first email as youth officer to young members in my CLP got sent out, I feel so proud. Now I just hope the clp leadership get back to me on my question...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I feel that it's not that Major did lots of things well, more he did less wrong.
    I think it's less that he didn't do much wrong, more that what did go wrong, eg ERM, was generally not his fault. As much as I love thatcher Black Wednesday was ultimately her fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sent to see sunny afternoon today at the Harond Pinter, got upgraded to seats at the front so i was sitting with my girlfriend and all the middle class people, we fit in rathrr well actaully.

Great musical though id recommend it to anyone. I want to see it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I saw it last year and agree.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hydeman What party are you in?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Isn't he the leader of the Nat Libs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I think he's the Nat Lib.......

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.