Turn on thread page Beta

Americans! - Where did you get in and with what grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DickHelms)
    Hey everyone...Just curious - are there any American university students applying to any of the British LLB programs? I am from Tulane University graduating in May - applied to the LSE LL.B program.
    I am a junior (in high school) but I am considering applying for an LLB program, thought not as LSE. (I wish.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some of those initial posts were slightly intimidating...

3.3 GPA (blech)
    ACT: 33 (34, 33, 30, 34)
    SAT: 2130 (720, 720, 690)
    I'm also in IB, and I've recieved two 4's thus far, though both were SL subjects.

I've applied to:
    Cardiff (acknowledged)
    East Anglia
    Leeds
    Reading
    De Montfort

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just a quick question.

My final offer is in from Loughborough, and the offer was based on this:

"Advanced Placement Programme Group A"

I'm a bit confused. I think what it means is just that I've got to pass all my exams from the AP Group A Subjects (That is, English Lit, Calculus, and Physics), but I'm not too sure. That's the extent of what they said in the offer. Halp explain? :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)

I'm a bit confused. I think what it means is just that I've got to pass all my exams from the AP Group A Subjects (That is, English Lit, Calculus, and Physics), but I'm not too sure. That's the extent of what they said in the offer. Halp explain? :3
    Your best bet is probably just to email them for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)

http://ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#app

Click on the link below it that says "*Details of the subjects covered by each group are here"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salome2)
    http://ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#app

Click on the link below it that says "*Details of the subjects covered by each group are here"
    Yeah, I saw that, but what does that have to do with My APs? Do they want me to complete them, do all of them on there, what?

I'm just confused. : P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    Yeah, I saw that, but what does that have to do with My APs? Do they want me to complete them, do all of them on there, what?

I'm just confused. : P
    They were a bit ambiguous. Perhaps emailing them and asking them to clarify?

ReputationRep:
    They were a bit ambiguous. Perhaps emailing them and asking them to clarify?
    I'm so lame. I'm afraid they'll be like

"OH SOZ WE MEANT GET ALL 5s!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    I'm so lame. I'm afraid they'll be like

"OH SOZ WE MEANT GET ALL 5s!"
    At least then you will know! :rolleyes: Five seconds of mild embarrassment is worth knowing what your conditions are.

S2

ReputationRep:
    At least then you will know! :rolleyes: Five seconds of mild embarrassment is worth knowing what your conditions are.

S2
    Can't argue with that. :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Well officially I'm both!

I have dual citizenship (as my mom is American), and as far as the USA is concerned, I am an American.

But I'm British by birth, and I mainly see myself as British as it's where I was born, and where I lived for the first 13 years of my life.

However, wherever I got the opportunity to (say on a form or something), I will put that I have dual nationality/citizenship.

I reckon if my parents had moved to the States when I was younger, I'd probably have wanted to stay here, but as I was a teenager who as upset about leaving her friends behind, I've always longed to move back to the UK!
    Im nearly exactly the same as you. I lived in England (and Ireland for 4 years) until I was 13 and then I moved to California I really cannot wait to move back for uni. Were you able to keep your English accent? And what did you miss most? I find myself missing the weirdest things (like tescos haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecalvinharris)
    Im nearly exactly the same as you. I lived in England (and Ireland for 4 years) until I was 13 and then I moved to California I really cannot wait to move back for uni. Were you able to keep your English accent? And what did you miss most? I find myself missing the weirdest things (like tescos haha.)
    I have, for the most part, been able to keep my accent. I do sometimes however, slip into a bizarre accent, that's a mix of Midwest US and East Midlands.

The things I missed the most, other than family and friends, is chocolate. There is a British food shop about 30 miles from me, where I can get chocolate from, but it's not the same. You can't sit there and think, 'ooh I could just murder a Wispa', and then pop down the shop and grab one. Instead, I stockpile what I can when I visit, but they don't always have everything in stock. Inevitably, it's often what I'm really craving at that time, that they don't have in stock!

I also miss the 'compactness' of England. Everything is so big here. I know many people find that great, I don't, I miss quaint little England!

Oh and I miss rugby. I miss watching proper rugby. I can watch the games on the TV here, it's being at the game I miss, as attending games here isn't the same as it doesn't obviously get the crowds.

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose anyone in here is attending Community College, or didn't do AP/SAT/ACT?
    I am technically a "mature student" so I can't really determine how many points I have in UCAS as I will have completed 1 yr of Community College by the end of this school year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavendermyst)
    I don't suppose anyone in here is attending Community College, or didn't do AP/SAT/ACT?
    I am technically a "mature student" so I can't really determine how many points I have in UCAS as I will have completed 1 yr of Community College by the end of this school year.
    Hey lavendermyst, I am the same as you - well kind of. I'm currently a student in the US and I didn't take AP, but took the ACT. I was offered three places so far for pharmacy! :eek3: I didn't expect to even receive such offers.. I sent my college transcripts off so you might be able to just do that and have no problems!!

Good luck! If you have any questions- fill free to contact me.

ReputationRep:
    Here's who I've applied to:
    University of Essex - Financial Economics - Conditional Offer (I've already met the conditions, just need to graduate)
    UCL - Economics - Acknowledged
    LSE - Accounting & Finance - Acknowledged
    Regents Business School - Global Financial Management - Haven't heard anything.
    Richmond, the American International University in London - Business Administration Finance - Acknowledged.

AP Scores:
    American History - 4
    European History - 5
    Language & Composition - 4
    I'm taking Literature & Composition, Statistics, and American Government this year.
    GPA 3.6
    ACT: 30
    I also took a Principles of Macroeconomics course at my local university and got a A. I'm also taking a dual-enrollement college course program in Physics.

Waiting to hear from UCL and LSE, LSE seems really tough to get into though, so I'm hoping to get into UCL. Anyone get into UCL with comparable scores? Got into Ohio State University for Finance here in the states, waiting to hear from University of Michigan and University of Chicago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowbaby213)
    Hey lavendermyst, I am the same as you - well kind of. I'm currently a student in the US and I didn't take AP, but took the ACT. I was offered three places so far for pharmacy! :eek3: I didn't expect to even receive such offers.. I sent my college transcripts off so you might be able to just do that and have no problems!!

Good luck! If you have any questions- fill free to contact me.
    Thanks! What schools did you apply to? I have recieved one conditional so far from Nottingham Trent.

ReputationRep:
    Just got a conditional for KCL but my offer was three AP tests at 554 by August, so I guess I have to ask them if that means including my scores so far or get 554 on three new AP tests (heres to hoping its not the latter :x )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromelon)
    Just got a conditional for KCL but my offer was three AP tests at 554 by August, so I guess I have to ask them if that means including my scores so far or get 554 on three new AP tests (heres to hoping its not the latter :x )
    I'm pretty sure it is the latter. Almost all scores are based on the AP exams you're taking this year, which corresponds with English A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavendermyst)
    Thanks! What schools did you apply to? I have recieved one conditional so far from Nottingham Trent.
    I have a unconditional from Keele and Reading. Keele wants a 2.7 gpa for this last semester and a 2.5 for Reading. I was so amazed.. cause my GPA has been so much higher. haa. Though I have to send off everything to Nottingham and see if I can gain entry. ha. Though I dunno cause I've never had to take the SATs just the ACT, but I dunno. I assume everything will be okay.

My first choice is Keele though.. it seems.. :woo: as I need to stay as far away my boyfriend and a few guys I know. :eek3:

See!! You received something though. I'm glad you did. Did you have to send off your SAT's or High School transcripts? Are you worried about the age difference as most are going to be eighteen living in the resident halls or are you going to do the flat option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alygoots)
    definitely renewed mine! i am currently a junior but i will be on par with you by the time i have to start applying and all.
    i knew i was not oxbridge bound anyway.
    anyways, congrats on your offers!
    i am glad to hear that!
    where are you thinking of applying?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.