Turn on thread page Beta

HoC Meet - Saturday 7th August - Marble Arch 1pm watch

• View Poll Results: When shall we get our meet on?
    Weekend 3/4th July
    15.79%
    Weekend 10/11th July
    23.68%
    Weekend 17/18th July
    15.79%
    Weekend 24/25th July
    13.16%
    Weekend 31st Jul/1st Aug
    15.79%
    Weekend 7/8th Aug
    42.11%
    Weekend 14/15th Aug
    31.58%
    Weekend 21/22nd Aug
    34.21%
    Weekend 28/29th August
    23.68%
    Weekday Early/Mid July
    18.42%
    Weekday Mid/Late July
    15.79%
    Weekday Early/Mid August
    21.05%
    Weekday Mid/Late August
    21.05%
    Bank Holiday 30th August
    36.84%
    Not Interested
    26.32%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    I get to Euston at 12.23, so if anyone else is arriving there, or at King's Cross and doesn't know London all that well, let me know and I'll meet you.
    I shall be at Housmans around the corner at about then. I need to pick something up.

(Original post by Adorno)
    I shall be at Housmans around the corner at about then. I need to pick something up.
    Cool, might as well see each other and get along to Marble Arch then! I'll PM you my number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Cool, might as well see each other and get along to Marble Arch then! I'll PM you my number.
    I may have a very perplexed Grant with me - I say perplexed as I'm not sure what kind of effect going to Housmans would have on him

I may have a very perplexed Grant with me - I say perplexed as I'm not sure what kind of effect going to Housmans would have on him
    Might be a life changing experience, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming via waterloo, what's the nearest tube station to marble arch is there one at marble arch itself?

ReputationRep:
    Marble Arch on the Central Line.

So Jubilee (grey) to Bond Street and then Central (red) to Marble Arch.

ReputationRep:
    I'm heading to Liverpool street, will probably end up in a pub before the meet so if anyones's around... er... London (?) come say hi early.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I will be at Padington if I come, probably the only one it looks like so will also probably hit a pub as well as nobody wanted to feck about for a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I will be at Padington if I come, probably the only one it looks like so will also probably hit a pub as well as nobody wanted to feck about for a while
    Grant and I'll be coming to Paddington...

ReputationRep:
    I'll be at King's Cross but I'll only be passing through really, hope to stay at the meet for an hour or so.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Grant and I'll be coming to Paddington...
    I see, what kind of time? I was planning to go to the large waterstones but I've never been to Housmans [that I recall] so I may tag along if that's ok :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I see, what kind of time? I was planning to go to the large waterstones but I've never been to Housmans [that I recall] so I may tag along if that's ok :holmes:
    Half eleven. The better waterstones, in my view, is that by Russell Square because this has a secondhand section. I'll literally be picking something up from Housmans and then will be at liberty to do other things.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Half eleven. The better waterstones, in my view, is that by Russell Square because this has a secondhand section. I'll literally be picking something up from Housmans and then will be at liberty to do other things.
    I can't say I've been to that one, and I didn't know any had secondhand sections so that sounds good tbh. What are you picking up out of interest [assuming you don't mind me asking]?

ReputationRep:
    Just googled Housmans. I am genuinely scared, I stopped reading after not for profit :p: They even have a page on why not to use Amazon. Literally ALL of my books are from amazon or college.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be there. The Bureau of Bureaucracy requires a lot of man hours to get anything done and I will be there for some time.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I've been to that one, and I didn't know any had secondhand sections so that sounds good tbh. What are you picking up out of interest [assuming you don't mind me asking]?
    Some old Labour Party material that I'm collecting for a future project. I have a streak in me that tends to try and track down things that are in private hands to try and rescue them for future use. Having strong connections with the South Wales Miners' Library I have kind of inherited this from earlier generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    Just googled Housmans. I am genuinely scared, I stopped reading after not for profit :p: They even have a page on why not to use Amazon. Literally ALL of my books are from amazon or college.
    I wouldn't worry, it's the kind of place that you'll find books that make you think about the world that's all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some old Labour Party material that I'm collecting for a future project. I have a streak in me that tends to try and track down things that are in private hands to try and rescue them for future use. Having strong connections with the South Wales Miners' Library I have kind of inherited this from earlier generations.
    I see, fair enough. I wish there were some good second hand book shops where I live. Your collection must be large with such a streak.

You seems like the kind of person that has many books. You could have a room for them when you're older, with an arm chair and a drinks cabinet or something.

Will you donate your collected materials when you die to a library or something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tucker672)
    You're 17 right? What shall you do if you are asked for ID to enter places?

ReputationRep:
    I see, fair enough. I wish there were some good second hand book shops where I live. Your collection must be large with such a streak.
    I've a few things of some worth though hardly more than £50 for the rarest thing. But it's not the monetary value that's of interest to me - almost everything I've picked up has been from charity shops or judicious hunts on Amazon and other second-hand websites so that I only end up spending a few pounds on something. The most I spent, willingly, was £25 on a 1937 copy of the Road to Wigan Pier just because it was my birthday and I had some money that way. But yeah, I guess I live in an area where second hand books are of some quality and I know what I'm looking for.

You seems like the kind of person that has many books. You could have a room for them when you're older, with an arm chair and a drinks cabinet or something.
    I do but we've always had lots of books in my house. I have one that has been handed down to me that was a prize from one of my scottish ancestors who died at a very young age, it's over 100 years old and was written by an old fellow of Oriel College. A History of the British Empire to about 1905. Quaint really.

Will you donate your collected materials when you die to a library or something?
    Absolutely. The preservation of the written knowledge of South Wales is extremely important to me and that includes primary material that I can salvage.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.