Higher Maths :: Post-Exam Discussion :: 2010 :: Did you make it out alive? Watch

Poll: How did you find it?
Very hard. Thank god for appeals/resits! :( (34)
20.36%
Not too sure, and I don't want to think about it. :indiff: (68)
40.72%
Very easy! :thumbsup: (27)
16.17%
I don't care if I failed [i]or[/i] passed, maths is finally done with! :talkhand: :dancing: (8)
4.79%
Shoot me now. :bawling: (30)
17.96%
Laura^^
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RizzyI)
I think it was roughly the same. Paper one was easy last year as well as this year but both paper 2's were pretty damn solid. If I had to choose, I'd probably say that this year was slightly harder (not being biased or anything, just imo) :p:
Agreed. Paper 2 completely killed my buzz from Paper 1 -- I though I was in there with an A. I guess not.
Lulope
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stefany-a)
did anyone use vector technique to find the ratio for section B ?
and for the shaded area question I found the area between 9 and 0, then found the area between 9 and 4.5 and toke it away from the area between 9 and 0 - do you guys think I got 0 marks for that question ?
I think that's a perfectly valid method. It's what I did anyway. And you definitley wont get 0 marks. You knew to integrate which gets you a mark.

(Original post by Livesindreams)
x
I've gone over what you said earlier so if you don't want to see don't but I reckon it might reassure you. I'd estimate you've only lost 7 marks in all those questions.

In Q21a) I got the wrong midpoint, but I kept working through and got the answer to be 6x+11y=152. Would I get any marks at all? (3)
We've been told it's a carried through error so you lose one mark when you originally make the mistake and then if you work it through with your mistake correctly you don't loose any marks so providing you did the rest using the right method - (2)

21c) I guessed it to be BT:TQ = 2:1. But because I got the wrong midpoint and so wrong value of Q I would have lost the marks, but I did show how I would have got it if I had the right point. So again any marks? (2)
Not totally sure what you mean but think you mean you only did it wrong because of your incorrect midpoint? If so, as you were already penalised for that (2)

23b) I couldn't get what x and y were, yeah I know silly mistakes. So I made up some values, x=4 and y=1. And then got sinb=1/root17 and cosb=4/root17. So any marks there? (4)
Was this the one where part a asked for the values? If so, another carried through error and so (4)

c)i) Because of my mistake in b, I messed this one up as well. And got sin(a-b)= 10/root15root17 (2)
ii) Got sin(b-a)= -10/root15root17, so again, any marks in these questions? (2)
Providing you got this wrong because of your earlier mistake and did the correct method. (4)

2b)ii) I put down that the min/max for cos= 0. Again stupid mistake, but carried it through like you normally would and got max=67.4 and min= 247.4. (2)
Not sure about this but I reckon you'd just lose a mark for your mistake and then they carry it through. (1)

3b) I wrote down the radius of the larger circle as root72 and the centre of it to be (-7,-2) (6)
Don't get what you mean about this sorry. Can't work out how many you'd get.

5b) For some reason, I gave the equation and extra x and so made it;
A(x)=x(12x-2x^3) = 12x^2-2x^4. But I worked this out normally and got the max value to be root3. (6)
If you did what I think then they'd just count that as copying the question down wrong so another carried through error (5)

6c) I screwed this up badly, but I knew to integrate but used A and 0 as the limits, to get 47/3 units^2. (I made my A=5)(7)
This doesn't sound quite so good. You'd get a mark for knowing to integrate and integrating correctly at least. And if you got A wrong in a previous part you'd get a mark for the limits in this question too. (3)

NOTE: I'm presuming you've done everything right for your numbers which I'm sure you will have.
spacepirate-James
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Humbug. You know for the integration question?

I wrote 45 as my final answer.... because I misread my calculator.
stefany-a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lulope)
I think that's a perfectly valid method. It's what I did anyway. And you definitley wont get 0 marks. You knew to integrate which gets you a mark.
I am sooo gload someone else did this too, when I told my friends thats what I did they looked at me as I had lost it but yeah me teacher said i'll at least get a couple of marks for that question
Lulope
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stefany-a)
I am sooo gload someone else did this too, when I told my friends thats what I did they looked at me as I had lost it but yeah me teacher said i'll at least get a couple of marks for that question
We've been told it's fine to do that in class before. From the sounds of things it was just as good a method as the 'normal' one. It sounds kinda confusing.
Aquadrive
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would appreciate it very much if someone took a quick look.
Part a and b correct.

Area A = shaded part
Area B = non-shaded part

I calculated the total area wrong which meant my final answer [Area A] was obviuosly wrong. I should have integrated as '1/3(x^2/2').
How many marks would be given to my working for part c?

(I found the other method interesting - sub x=9 into y=1/3 etc)
Pharm Boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RizzyI)
Yeah but remember that people here are generally pretty bright. The SQA are marking this exam and setting boundaries compared to the rest of the opoulation. So there are people that have done brilliant to absolutely terrible. And trust me, if you even made an account here then you are instantly NOT in the terrible category. :p:
Yeah I'm deffo bearing that in mind! Same as last year, totally thought I failed everything judging by everyone here.. and it turns out I didn't xD

good luck in any other exams!
happy26.x
Report 8 years ago
I put G and H the wrong way round..

I seemed to think repeated solutions did not make it a tangent.. :|

How many marks would be lost for doing this??

I got both sets of coordinates right, and I made the to equations equal to each other and found the x values.
xStaceyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i thought paper 1 was so easy so i just knew paper to would be difficult.
the last question was a joke!
it took my teacher ages to get it and she has studied in depth maths her whole life.
pretty sure ive got at least a B though.
hoping for an A :/
xxxx
xStaceyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

if your answers are correct I got 98/120 - a very comfortable A
if pass mark for an A is 70%, 84 marks are needed for an A so i have room to lose 12 more if ive marked it incorrectly...
hopefully should be fine cause i was very conservative.
thank youuu (L) :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xStaceyy)
if pass mark for an A is 70%, 84 marks are needed for an A so i have room to lose 12 more if ive marked it incorrectly...
The exam is out of 130 ... you can check the previous grade boundaries on the SQA website. For maths they are usually slightly higher than 70%
xStaceyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by theblackswan)
The exam is out of 130 ... you can check the previous grade boundaries on the SQA website. For maths they are usually slightly higher than 70%
oh crap, so it is...
so basically i might have SCRAPED an A and no more...
well, heres hoping the boundaries are lowered, eh?
cheers for bursting my bubble though :p:
justasmalltowngirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
oh crap, so it is...
so basically i might have SCRAPED an A and no more...
well, heres hoping the boundaries are lowered, eh?
cheers for bursting my bubble though :p:
Last year was it not 93 for an A? im sure you'll get it.
xStaceyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by justasmalltowngirl)
Last year was it not 93 for an A? im sure you'll get it.
yeah 93 last year, 106 for band 1, i just checked.
fingers crossed
xxx
RizzyI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If it's 93 for an A last yera then I think II could pull it off. I'm ranging my marks between 98-104...
LuhLah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Those aren't mine, someone else made 'em. I bombed the paper.
jamie0210
Report 8 years ago
rht can someone tell me, see for 21(b) on paper 1 to verify that T lies on BQ i just found the gradient between B and T and then B and Q and it was the same, is this wrong ?
C274
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by theblackswan)
Yes definitely agree with this, paper 1 there is too much time and paper 2 there is too little

what's advanced higher like? and how did it go today?
Brilliant if you put the work in. I didn't and the exam was terrible.
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jamie0210)
rht can someone tell me, see for 21(b) on paper 1 to verify that T lies on BQ i just found the gradient between B and T and then B and Q and it was the same, is this wrong ?
Without looking at the question, that sounds fine.
jamie0210
Report 8 years ago
thts a relief thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?