Edexcel chemistry 1 Watch

amani-puresapphire
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FallenPetal)
Multiple choice is a minefield of trick questions. And dw, it's only one mark.
Haha one mark + all the other stupid mistakes i made in the rest of the paper. Reading the rest of the thread i conclude that i am screwed. I guess the only thing to do is to focus on unit 2.
woozeybear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could always try old spec. then I guess, though they may have changed their minds as to whether it is acceptable or not.

And ye, I am well familiar with the 50/50 sods law in exams
Lol it's why I hateeeee multiple choice questions! Now I try and work it out before I look at the answers lol. And hmm..I'm fine :p: I only know the recent past papers cos I took all of them and revised from them 2 days ago lol
SK-mar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by lpmad)
which question? about the peaks m/z?
If im on about the one you are then i put Ca 2+ for that...
FallenPetal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by woozeybear)
Lol it's why I hateeeee multiple choice questions! Now I try and work it out before I look at the answers lol. And hmm..I'm fine :p: I only know the recent past papers cos I took all of them and revised from them 2 days ago lol
I know on the practice papers I always would drop 2-3 just due to stupid mistakes . But this time I took time to go through the multiple choice and check for error, so hopefully it won't be bad?

Yeah! Amen to freeexampapers.org!
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SK-mar)
I drew two of the monomer units and had single bonds between them ,

so: -[CHC6H5-CH2-CHC6H5-CH2]-n

i hope this is right
I did it without the brackets and n hmm I guess you should have the brackets..I don't know! also got confused with that peak one so I made it up and wrote one peak loool oh dear
SK-mar
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilylikeeee)
For the limestone building question, my teacher [who is also an examiner] said it was about the gases being made in car exhausts and let out into the air, dissolving into rain and falling as acid rain which then neutrilises the limestone..
I think I got the first two points, but don't remember seeing this in my syllabus!
I spoke to my teacher after and he didnt mention anything about the acid rain neutralising it, but more so dissolving it (maybe your thinking of that as the same thing in which case fine lol). Oh and i think the gases were referring to the burning of fuels which is part of the organic side. i said burning certain fuels in industry but which can release these but forgot to mention cars
amani-puresapphire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think for stating its an exothermic reaction (which you did by putting the sign there) then you can get 1 mark.
Lets hope so. I've become the student who is always one mark from a higher grade. So the extra mark could make a difference.
amani-puresapphire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does anyone know how many peaks there were all together?
SK-mar
Rep:
?
I did it without the brackets and n hmm I guess you should have the brackets..I don't know! also got confused with that peak one so I made it up and wrote one peak loool oh dear
I genuinly dont know whether you need the brackets or not, tbh i think they will give the mark for both. Cos the question stated draw the structural formula of two monomer units of this alkene. So you should probably just draw the two like you did, cos putting the brackets and the n shows its a repeating unit but i really dont know lol. ANDDD for the peak one i think i got 3.... one for the larger isotope, one for the smaller and one inbetween but i wasnt sure on that either lol:p:
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know on the practice papers I always would drop 2-3 just due to stupid mistakes . But this time I took time to go through the multiple choice and check for error, so hopefully it won't be bad?

Yeah! Amen to freeexampapers.org!
Lol :p: I'd always drop more on the multiple choice than on section B I read that ionisation energy graph question so wronggg lol I thought it was the ionisation energies of group 2 and 3 instead of period 2 and 3 :facepalm: i realised at the question asking which is group 3?
SK-mar
Rep:
?
(Original post by amani-puresapphire)
Does anyone know how many peaks there were all together?
think its 3 but someone needs to back me up on that haha
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I genuinly dont know whether you need the brackets or not, tbh i think they will give the mark for both. Cos the question stated draw the structural formula of two monomer units of this alkene. So you should probably just draw the two like you did, cos putting the brackets and the n shows its a repeating unit but i really dont know lol. ANDDD for the peak one i think i got 3.... one for the larger isotope, one for the smaller and one inbetween but i wasnt sure on that either lol:p:
Lol hopefully they do! And yeah I didn't understand a word in the question my mind just went blank so I was like err..1 because it's the er..M+ peak (made it up last minute they will be able to tell!)

just realised..I think that's unit 4 but it's not even the right context or whatever! Lolll
FallenPetal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha one mark + all the other stupid mistakes i made in the rest of the paper. Reading the rest of the thread i conclude that i am screwed. I guess the only thing to do is to focus on unit 2.
Are you in year 12?

It's alright! When I first retook chem.1 I did no revision and got a D. Now I'm in year 13 and to prepare I read through my old revision guide once every few days in the week leading up to the exam and did all 3 of the past papers for that unit. It's much easier to do after another year of studying chem (and if you do do chem in year 13, take loads of time over the synthesis bit. It makes any organic question a doddle.)

I just wish there actually were past papers for Unit 5 You young'uns have it easy.
amani-puresapphire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you're right. I hate finishing early because i end up doubting everything i initially wrote and start changing things. I wrote 3 crossed it out, wrote 5, crossed it out again and settled on 5. Okay goodbye and good luck all, this thread is making me depressed
lpmad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ye its 3 cause you can have a 79 and 79 peak 79 81 peak and a 81 81 peak...
amani-puresapphire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you in year 12?

It's alright! When I first retook chem.1 I did no revision and got a D. Now I'm in year 13 and to prepare I read through my old revision guide once every few days in the week leading up to the exam and did all 3 of the past papers for that unit. It's much easier to do after another year of studying chem (and if you do do chem in year 13, take loads of time over the synthesis bit. It makes any organic question a doddle.)

I just wish there actually were past papers for Unit 5 You young'uns have it easy.
Yes im in year 12 but two years younger than everyone in my year :tongue: And what you;re saying makes sense. My sister retook and said the same thing.
FallenPetal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol :p: I'd always drop more on the multiple choice than on section B I read that ionisation energy graph question so wronggg lol I thought it was the ionisation energies of group 2 and 3 instead of period 2 and 3 :facepalm: i realised at the question asking which is group 3?
It's pointless spending loads of time on multiple anyways. They are only worth about a mark each

I did all the questions I was certain I could do in section B+C, then went back to A.

I hated the energy graph. I started to get a headache while I was doing it Though I think looking through this thread I got it right, so it was probably worth it
SK-mar
Rep:
?
Lol hopefully they do! And yeah I didn't understand a word in the question my mind just went blank so I was like err..1 because it's the er..M+ peak (made it up last minute they will be able to tell!)
Ha I wouldnt worry you never guess what i had a mind blank on, 'what is an isotope' question..... i thought oh ill come back to it and remember, never did though!! haha....oh well ....after the exam someone told me and i will now never forget what an isotope is!!
FallenPetal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes im in year 12 but two years younger than everyone in my year :tongue:
Oooer. Then you're probably fine. What did you get originally for unit 1?
TheSingingMute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There was a question about doing a dot-cross diagram of some ion cant remem which, wht people do? I ended up drawing circles around the element symbol, one circles for every orbital. Page ended up lookin like a f.ing warp hole at the end =/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.95%
Leave (239)
20.05%

Watched Threads