Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really starting to hate this. None of my mates seem to understand the amount of work I have to do, it's really getting on my nerves and causing a few arguments which I really don't need :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I'm really starting to hate this. None of my mates seem to understand the amount of work I have to do, it's really getting on my nerves and causing a few arguments which I really don't need :-(
    I feel the same. My best friends mum died last week and I've barely been able to see her not to mention the fact that I barely get to see my own family any more! I am starting to have doubts about my commitment to the PGCE year/teaching.
    Hopefully when I get this assignment in on Monday i'll feel less like I'm gonna crack up!

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling about people not understanding the amount of work you have to do. But that seems to be the attitude towards teachers in general doesn't it?

In a weird way I'm kind of lucky that I moved so far away from everyone, they leave me to it if that makes sense.

We'll all have moments where we feel more positive than negative and vice versa- just try and keep some of those positives stored up in your head! Maybe it's worth keeping a diary just to write down the things that went well? I'm considering it, I felt really good after my observation on Friday but already got my defences back up about next week!

ReputationRep:
    In the training year there are hills of happiness and valleys of despair. It seems like some of you are in the valleys right now, but you'll get out again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    In the training year there are hills of happiness and valleys of despair. It seems like some of you are in the valleys right now, but you'll get out again!
    And then you start on the long trek through NQT Valley :rolleyes: haha, I can't wait until I have RQT hill in sight!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to give virtual hugs to all of you. I was a subject mentor for two universities for about 8 years and I know what you're going through. It does get better, honestly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    And then you start on the long trek through NQT Valley :rolleyes: haha, I can't wait until I have RQT hill in sight!
    My NQT year was amazing! I did have the ITT year from hell though so anything would have been better :p:

No seriously, Teach First have actually plotted the way people feel throughout the year, and November is traditionally a tough time. It gets better towards Christmas then horrible after Christmas again. Then after Feb half term goes up and up and up with a few dips around exam/reports time. This was definitely consistent with my experience and I'd imagine it's similar on other training schemes as well. I got put on an improvement plan in November because I was basically falling apart, then after Christmas I had some days where I went to school on 0 hours sleep and threw up after certain lessons :dong:

But now all is good so I have kind of forgotten all the crappy times!

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine November is a difficult time because it's the first time for many that you stand up and give it a go. I've just finished my first week of my placement and after two lessons I spent the best part of yesterday morning feeling utterly miserable as I felt like I wasn't good enough. Clearly I was getting ahead of myself, but I really feel like I'm in the deep end and there are so many things I just don't know yet or can do well, and it's such a big step to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenren22)
    I can imagine November is a difficult time because it's the first time for many that you stand up and give it a go. I've just finished my first week of my placement and after two lessons I spent the best part of yesterday morning feeling utterly miserable as I felt like I wasn't good enough. Clearly I was getting ahead of myself, but I really feel like I'm in the deep end and there are so many things I just don't know yet or can do well, and it's such a big step to take.
    When you say two lessons how much of them did you do? I felt like that after my first 10 minute episode (which I ended up extending to about 25 minutes so no wonder) but it's not all been bad since then- you really will get more used to it

We were given some advice about those days where you just feel absolutely awful, and that was to just have a good look at a class of 14 year olds while they're working quietly, have a look at their mismatched partially-adult appearances and remind yourself that they're just kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    My NQT year was amazing! I did have the ITT year from hell though so anything would have been better :p:

No seriously, Teach First have actually plotted the way people feel throughout the year, and November is traditionally a tough time. It gets better towards Christmas then horrible after Christmas again. Then after Feb half term goes up and up and up with a few dips around exam/reports time. This was definitely consistent with my experience and I'd imagine it's similar on other training schemes as well. I got put on an improvement plan in November because I was basically falling apart, then after Christmas I had some days where I went to school on 0 hours sleep and threw up after certain lessons :dong:

But now all is good so I have kind of forgotten all the crappy times!
    Yeah we've seen the "graph of feelings" for an NQT too, and generally says that just after Christmas is the worst time. I do think there are differences depending on schools though.

For example you say Feb is reports time, I've already done one set of reports and more coming up in next couple of weeks; whereas at the same time my Yr11s are going onto controlled assessment which means I don't really have to plan the lessons so that's a weight off my shoulders.

Then at the same time I have my masters going on, which isn't taken into account for the NQT graph of terror ha!

It's not so bad to be fair, I'm enjoying it, it's just that I am constantly busy and until August 2013 I will always have something to do what with that masters looming over my head. But next year should be better what with my super awesome planning that I am currently doing (which is why I have no time whatsoever!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Yeah we've seen the "graph of feelings" for an NQT too, and generally says that just after Christmas is the worst time. I do think there are differences depending on schools though.

For example you say Feb is reports time, I've already done one set of reports and more coming up in next couple of weeks; whereas at the same time my Yr11s are going onto controlled assessment which means I don't really have to plan the lessons so that's a weight off my shoulders.

Then at the same time I have my masters going on, which isn't taken into account for the NQT graph of terror ha!

It's not so bad to be fair, I'm enjoying it, it's just that I am constantly busy and until August 2013 I will always have something to do what with that masters looming over my head. But next year should be better what with my super awesome planning that I am currently doing (which is why I have no time whatsoever!).
    Hehe graph of feelings! It's good that your school spreads out the reports though. In my training year reports were spread out but then in my NQT year they changed it to all being in one go and it was a complete nightmare. I just didn't have the time to dedicate to writing a really good report for each kid and it was a massive shame because I think a good, personalised report is important thing.

And yeah, a Masters is a whole different ball game. I had to quit mine because a) I was just too beat after ITT to do it b) if I do a Masters I want it to be on something I'm really passionate about, I don't want to have to think up a dissertation title on the spot because someone told me I had to.

Anyway, this should really be in the NQT thread :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Darcie*)
    I feel the same. My best friends mum died last week and I've barely been able to see her not to mention the fact that I barely get to see my own family any more! I am starting to have doubts about my commitment to the PGCE year/teaching.
    Hopefully when I get this assignment in on Monday i'll feel less like I'm gonna crack up!
    Oh no that's horrible, poor thing. Must be really hard for you not being able to see her

I haven't finished all my planning for the next two or three days yet and I'm meant to be meeting a mate in an hour. He's going to murder me if I cancel but I kind of want to get one more lesson done. At least I'm fine for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    First day went really well! I'm in a nursery/reception class and the school are lovely! Looking forward to getting stuck in!

ReputationRep:
    glad it went well balloon_parade

...anybody want 2 year 8 classes and a year 9 class? Free to good home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    glad it went well balloon_parade

...anybody want 2 year 8 classes and a year 9 class? Free to good home...
    I have double year 8, year 7 and year 9 tomorrow, swap you?

I have nothing useful to add to this thread except I am so stressed and worried it's crazy. I have just spent hours and hours planning this double y8 class (I haven't even touched y7 planning yet, I'll have to do it in my free) and it's all a load of crap. I am just the worst at planning, all my lessons are horrendously dull. Urgh =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    I have double year 8, year 7 and year 9 tomorrow, swap you?

I have nothing useful to add to this thread except I am so stressed and worried it's crazy. I have just spent hours and hours planning this double y8 class (I haven't even touched y7 planning yet, I'll have to do it in my free) and it's all a load of crap. I am just the worst at planning, all my lessons are horrendously dull. Urgh =/
    I am sure they arent that bad Sounds like youve put a lot of thought into planning, ive been assured by teachers that it does take less time as you get used to it

Best advice I can give is to really deleve into the resources of your department and you will find some hidden gems which havent been used in a while! I know its time consuming but I found a couple of board games that teachers had produced a couple of years ago which I now plan to use with my year 10 class- far more interesting then learning about site from me or a textbook....

**** day... utterly horrid. Period 5 was a train wreck - my fault, not theirs (Yr 8). What was quite sweet, mind, was that 7 of them stayed behind with questions.

Debriefed, evaluation written, line drawn underneath. Off to the pub.

Will do better.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rainy)
      **** day... utterly horrid. Period 5 was a train wreck - my fault, not theirs (Yr 8). What was quite sweet, mind, was that 7 of them stayed behind with questions.

Debriefed, evaluation written, line drawn underneath. Off to the pub.

Will do better
      Can only say in comfort, yes, you will. I've spent a lot of time consoling PGCE students in my time, and it always gets better. Unfortunately, the one thing in teaching that really makes a difference is confidence, and that's sometimes the hardest thing to acquire. All that stands between you and them is your belief that you are in control. Once you have that, you can start to actually teach them something. Teaching is a massive bluffing act. If you can act confident, you've got it made.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
      Can only say in comfort, yes, you will. I've spent a lot of time consoling PGCE students in my time, and it always gets better. Unfortunately, the one thing in teaching that really makes a difference is confidence, and that's sometimes the hardest thing to acquire. All that stands between you and them is your belief that you are in control. Once you have that, you can start to actually teach them something. Teaching is a massive bluffing act. If you can act confident, you've got it made.
      Are you my mentor?? This is exactly what mine told me today, and I've actually been worried that having little confidence is quite worrying at this point, purely because I believe it goes against my personality. I'm taking baby steps and getting behind with things purely because I don't have the confidence to ask and/or get things done, and it just causes more worrying.

I need to work on behaviour management, which stems from my lack of confidence. Will it get better? I'm not sure, because each and every time some aspect of my confidence holds me back, whether that's raising my voice, keeping children on track, or the teaching itself.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jenren22)
      Are you my mentor?? This is exactly what mine told me today, and I've actually been worried that having little confidence is quite worrying at this point, purely because I believe it goes against my personality. I'm taking baby steps and getting behind with things purely because I don't have the confidence to ask and/or get things done, and it just causes more worrying.

I need to work on behaviour management, which stems from my lack of confidence. Will it get better? I'm not sure, because each and every time some aspect of my confidence holds me back, whether that's raising my voice, keeping children on track, or the teaching itself.
      No, I'm not a mentor any more! I did it for about 8 years and then gave it up when I moved schools, but it's the kind of things all mentors say, because it's true. Everybody needs to work on behaviour management - it's not a skill many people are born with. You will learn it, honestly, and everybody does it diferently. The problem is that at the start all students go in radiating fear like gazelles in a class of leopards and kids smell it. The day you've got it cracked is the day you walk in and KNOW that you have the right to be there, the right to be in charge and the right to tell them to stfu and demand that it happens. It'll come!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.