Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because my mother was an addict and lost all her kids because of drugs. It may not have been cannabis but that screams a big no no to me.

Plus, I promised my Dad as a kid that I would never try them.

Finally, i've never felt the need to :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burgergetsbored)
    No, it hasn't, not at all. I has no mental problems related to it at all. Maybe, JUST MAYBE slight chance of developing split personality if smoked heavily from a young age. Fair enough if you don't like it, but all these lies from the government about mental problems is just full on lies.
    I wish more people understood it like you did :sad:
    Most people go by the typical "The government says it's bad therefore it must be bad!" mindset, without realising that cannabis use only affects the mental stability of someone if they're already unstable; it cannot create mental problems out of thin air, it just "helps" pre-existing conditions develop faster.
    So therefore you avoid it, like a person with a dodgy liver avoids alcohol and a diabetic avoids eating too many Mars Bars.
    For people without those pre-existing conditions, there's nothing wrong with recreational usage.
    Alcohol and smoking are both more addictive and more damaging than cannabis, yet they are both legal. The government won't tell us why though.
    Smoking cannabis offers no threat of lung cancer either, apparently (although I myself think that fairly dubious unless you're smoking joints with no baccy in them, which IMO is a waste of good ganja).

ReputationRep:
    It may possibly be better than alcohol, but I don't drink either so that argument fails on me. It's also expensive and your satisfying yourself for about a short period of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    I like smoking te weeds, it gives me super powers....

Seriously though, I don't get why people don't smoke...

I know it's bad for your health etc. but im the type of guy that will try most things (within reason) at least once, whether it be smoking weed, wakeboarding, sky diving, playing golf etc because I want to live my life to the full and don't want to be deprived of new experiances...to be honest that would be a terrible waste of a life IMO

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!

I totally understand if you tried it, and hated it, but if you haven't tried it why knock it? Before people say it's bad for you or it's illegal, please stop and ask yourself why you drank when you were under age and still drink now...:rolleyes:

I just want to know why people miss out on this awesome plant
    I hate the smell of it. I don't like the idea of having my perceptions changed especailly since I get alot of natural "highs" I dont like them either but cant control them. It makes you stupid and irratible and stupid and emotional.

The general evil of intoxicants really.

ReputationRep:
    i LOVE the smell of it

BTW, the neg and pos reps I got on my first post, is beast!

what a competitive race lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    It makes you stupid and irratible and stupid and emotional.
    Riiight. I think we all know who has never tried toking

"Stupid" I'm half-tempted to give you, albeit a bit of a harsh way to describe it. I prefer "abstract logic".
    "Irritable" (correct spelling, yo!). D00D... what are you on about?
    Alcohol can make you irritable. And emotional (apparently 9/10 girls are emotional drinkers, but I'm assuming that's a guesstimate as opposed to a factual figure). But cannabis? Nuh-uh man. At least research your drugs before shouting your mouth off.
    It chills you out. You turn into three out of the seven dwarves; happy, hungry, and sleepy.
    I personally see nothing wrong with those effects... it's a natural high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    It may possibly be better than alcohol, but I don't drink either so that argument fails on me. It's also expensive and your satisfying yourself for about a short period of time
    "Better" is subjective. It's definitely better for your health (which I'm assuming is what you meant), but the overall experience is subjective.
    Aaaand it's actually not that expensive. A tenners worth can last me and a mate two days, which is more than £100 worth of alcohol will last me (I used to drink a lot when I went out). Factor in munch, and you're saving yourself between £80-85 quid for one night. The night after, consequently, is free (aside from the munch run) (compared to how long the alcohol effects you).

Oh... and no hangover. Boss, eh?

ReputationRep:
    I can get high without it so whats the point wasting my money on it?

Plus I dont trust dealers, what if they're giving me a bag of someones ashes? Im not wasting my money on that.

ReputationRep:
    I cant stand the smell of cigarettes and weed. I see them in the same category to be honest, rather than weed being a drug/substance. I think if your happy smoking those or any other substances, get on with it, the only time others should intervine or interfere is when they feel threated or harmed. Some things are'nt for all people and some things people do to 'enhance' their status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I wish more people understood it like you did :sad:
    Most people go by the typical "The government says it's bad therefore it must be bad!" mindset, without realising that cannabis use only affects the mental stability of someone if they're already unstable; it cannot create mental problems out of thin air, it just "helps" pre-existing conditions develop faster.
    So therefore you avoid it, like a person with a dodgy liver avoids alcohol and a diabetic avoids eating too many Mars Bars.
    For people without those pre-existing conditions, there's nothing wrong with recreational usage.
    Alcohol and smoking are both more addictive and more damaging than cannabis, yet they are both legal. The government won't tell us why though.
    Smoking cannabis offers no threat of lung cancer either, apparently (although I myself think that fairly dubious unless you're smoking joints with no baccy in them, which IMO is a waste of good ganja).
    This, this is correct.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have a very strong family history of mental illness and addictive behaviour. I'm not exactly mentally great myself either. Need I say more?

Can't afford it either haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithoughtofthis)
    I can get high without it so whats the point wasting my money on it?

Plus I dont trust dealers, what if they're giving me a bag of someones ashes? Im not wasting my money on that.
    Weed and ashes look nothing like each other.

ReputationRep:
    Riiight. I think we all know who has never tried toking

"Stupid" I'm half-tempted to give you, albeit a bit of a harsh way to describe it. I prefer "abstract logic".
    "Irritable" (correct spelling, yo!). D00D... what are you on about?
    Alcohol can make you irritable. And emotional (apparently 9/10 girls are emotional drinkers, but I'm assuming that's a guesstimate as opposed to a factual figure). But cannabis? Nuh-uh man. At least research your drugs before shouting your mouth off.
    It chills you out. You turn into three out of the seven dwarves; happy, hungry, and sleepy.
    I personally see nothing wrong with those effects... it's a natural high.
    The irritable (better? :P) im speaking more in terms of the long term effects when you deal with real life without it. Hardly any research has been done on canabis so we cant be so sure.Most of the effects I think are indirect and not obvious so we tend to dismiss them.These are only theories.I dont know many people who smoke cannabis so i cant make a valid point.
    I think of the emotionalness like people who eat lots of sugar. they cant taste sugar even when theres lots.but me i hardly eat sugar so i even think sugar free tea with a drop of skimmed milk is sweet. so in that way people who have been loaded with endorphins dont feel endorphins in the everyday stuff as much so their sad alot.

i like the way you talk youre friendly i like you x BIG HUG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    The irritable (better? :P) im speaking more in terms of the long term effects when you deal with real life without it.
    That would be dependant on how much you smoke it. You get more of a withdrawal from nicotine than you do cannabis though

Hardly any research has been done on canabis so we cant be so sure. Most of the effects I think are indirect and not obvious so we tend to dismiss them. These are only theories.
    Enough has been done to make sure that it's publicly available to see that both alcohol and smoking, despite being legal, do more damage than cannabis, which is one of my main gripes about it not being decriminalised.

(I'm using these charts a lot recently ).

I dont know many people who smoke cannabis so i cant make a valid point.
    :wavey:

I think of the emotionalness like people who eat lots of sugar. they cant taste sugar even when theres lots.but me i hardly eat sugar so i even think sugar free tea with a drop of skimmed milk is sweet. so in that way people who have been loaded with endorphins dont feel endorphins in the everyday stuff as much so their sad alot.
    I... don't quite know what you're getting at here. I can see your point, but I don't see how it ties in with the discussion.

Seeing as you mentioned endorphins though:
    "A research team has found very high levels of a naturally occurring cannabinoid called anandamide in runners and cyclists who exercised at moderate intensity for an extended period.

Anandamide produces effects similar to those of THC, the psychoactive constituent of marijuana, leading researchers to speculate that "runner's high" may not be caused by endorphins released by the human body – as previously thought — but by a naturally occurring cannabinoid high."

"Anandamide is a weak compound that is quickly metabolized. And runner's high is really a feeling of well being, not a tripping, or LSD high,"

"The endocannabinoid system is not engaged by an elevated heart rate, Dietrich said, but by muscle tissue breaking down. He attributed the evolutionary cause of the system to activities like "running from lions, or searching for food for days. You had to have a system that would allow your body to undergo such stresses."

http://www.rususa.com/news/news.asp-nid-6642

i like the way you talk youre friendly i like you x BIG HUG.
    :hugs:
    No homo...

ReputationRep:
    That would be dependant on how much you smoke it. You get more of a withdrawal from nicotine than you do cannabis though

Enough has been done to make sure that it's publicly available to see that both alcohol and smoking, despite being legal, do more damage than cannabis, which is one of my main gripes about it not being decriminalised.

(I'm using these charts a lot recently ).

:wavey:

I... don't quite know what you're getting at here. I can see your point, but I don't see how it ties in with the discussion.

Seeing as you mentioned endorphins though:
    "A research team has found very high levels of a naturally occurring cannabinoid called anandamide in runners and cyclists who exercised at moderate intensity for an extended period.

Anandamide produces effects similar to those of THC, the psychoactive constituent of marijuana, leading researchers to speculate that "runner's high" may not be caused by endorphins released by the human body – as previously thought — but by a naturally occurring cannabinoid high."

"Anandamide is a weak compound that is quickly metabolized. And runner's high is really a feeling of well being, not a tripping, or LSD high,"

"The endocannabinoid system is not engaged by an elevated heart rate, Dietrich said, but by muscle tissue breaking down. He attributed the evolutionary cause of the system to activities like "running from lions, or searching for food for days. You had to have a system that would allow your body to undergo such stresses."

http://www.rususa.com/news/news.asp-nid-6642

:hugs:
    No homo...
    I dont trust vague charts i need proper numbers from studies! Im not talking about phsyical depndance im talking about psychological dependance.

I agree cigarettes and alcohol and weed are all similar in harm they should all be illegal!

I mean like tolerance to small good feelings. Its just a theory.

The smell and the risk of becoming stupid is enough to throw me off. Also the lack of inhibitions. I dont have enough inhibitions as it is!

What do you mean no homo? Thtupid.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a lifestyle choice and I choose not too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Weed and ashes look nothing like each other.
    I couldn't tell

ReputationRep:
    According to the previous chart, weed is as bad as coffeine(both scoring 8 altogether) I highly doubt that caffeine is as good/bad(dependant on your view) as weed is

ReputationRep:
    It just seems completely pointless to me. Why do I need to get high to have a good time? I am perfectly content not being inebriated. It seems to me that their casual tobacco smoking and casual drinking, but how many people smoke weed without the intention of getting high? Isn't that the purpose? I only drink because I enjoy drinking, not because I want to lose some sensory control and behave like an imbecile. Concession: I have known some brilliant people who smoked weed frequently... however this did end up affect many of their life choices. They gave up high reaching goals for some pretty sad ones because they became apathetic and lost their focus and drive. That's just my experience with it.

ReputationRep:
    You should watch some shows on BBC 3 about drugs. Rather than looking at that Eastender's guy who basically was moaning that its illegal because the government says it is, you should watch a documentary on how drugs work - a professional documentary done by a team of people

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.