Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Hammer)
    Yes they can and there is the appropriate medication for aiding the T4 to T3 conversion process. However people seem too keen on pointing to thyroid instability.
    Hahahaha you have no idea about the medication clearly. 'aiding the T4 to T3 conversion' :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prescilla)
    Do you know that there are diseases that make people overweight? I have known few persons who used to be chubby and they thought that it was their fault (one reason is that people like you complain that fat people are lazy and they eat unhealthily). One had hypothyroidism and other girl's pcos caused hyperinsulinemia. I'm not saying that every fat person has a disease behind their fatness but some do! And many of them live with them for many years before realising that something is wrong. Some people never know because they think it's normal to gain weight really easily.

But about the girl in the picture, I don't think that she is curvy. She is really chubby. If someone is curvy, she has wide hips, big boobs and small waist. I hate it too how people say that fat or curvy (now I don't mean that they are the same thing) women are real women. So if you don't have bigger cup size than D, you are not a real woman? So I'm not a real woman even though I have nice curvy ass and hips but I don't have enormous boobs? But yeah, I think that "real woman" could lose 15-20 pounds. It really makes a difference in appearance and in her health. She has a pretty face so I believe she would be gorgeous.
    But in the absolute majority of cases it's just plain and simple eating too much and exercising too little. Rarer cases like the ones you've described are the exception to the rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amuroray)
    How hard isit Just to go to the gym?

Fat people make me laugh.
    Ummm, gyms are usually expensive and overcrowded. Furthermore someone who is overweight/disabled etc will probably feel even more self concious.

That said, if a guy had the same amount of excess flesh, the media and society will not be so kind. When was the last time anyone described an overweight man as 'bubbly' or 'curvy'?

ReputationRep:
    She has a wonderful face, but I understand where you are coming from. There is no way the media can scream at us for our rising obesity levels if this is the kind of body they want women to aspire to; I dont support size zero models at all because that's unhealthy but cant they get women who dont have extremes in their BMI maybe we shouldnt all aim to be "skinny" or "curvy" but simply healthy then we'll all get along fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Hahahaha you have no idea about the medication clearly. 'aiding the T4 to T3 conversion' :rofl:
    Yes I know very little about the intricacies of the endocrine system in regards to hyperthyroid treatment and I am not going to pretend that I do. A large chunk of hyperthyroid sufferers cannot convert t4 into t3 efficiently. However last I checked the most common drug treatment used was essentially synthetic t4, am I wrong? This doesnt change anything and the 2% accounts for people who have an overactive and inactive thyroid so the chances of it being the cause of someones excess weight is even less than suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    Ummm, gyms are usually expensive and overcrowded. Furthermore someone who is overweight/disabled etc will probably feel even more self concious.

That said, if a guy had the same amount of excess flesh, the media and society will not be so kind. When was the last time anyone described an overweight man as 'bubbly' or 'curvy'?
    No they arent. Average uni/council gym is £8-10 a month, how is this expensive. Avoiding the crowd? Simply go in the afternoon or late evening. Otherwise just find a sport or physical activity to partake in.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about fat people in general, not our age group. If you think 1 in 50 is rare you clearly don't know that many people.
    And I said its alot more understandable if someone is middle aged, caring for a family and overweight. However a large chunk of overweight are not even in their thirties.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know very little about the intricacies of the endocrine system in regards to hyperthyroid treatment and I am not going to pretend that I do. A large chunk of hyperthyroid sufferers cannot convert t4 into t3 efficiently. However last I checked the most common drug treatment used was essentially synthetic t4, am I wrong? This doesnt change anything and the 2% accounts for people who have an overactive and inactive thyroid so the chances of it being the cause of someones excess weight is even less than suggested
    It isn't the conversion that is normally the issue. Just a thyroid not doing its job properly (Most T3 is made from T4 in the body)

You have the treatment right though.

No obviously this far from the majority of fat people. The point is to make you think before you chastise others. Obviously it has failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    But in the absolute majority of cases it's just plain and simple eating too much and exercising too little. Rarer cases like the ones you've described are the exception to the rule.
    Yes I'm not denying this and I realise that this is the main reason why people are fat. I was just commenting that other post which said almost that all fat people are always eating unhealthily and not exercising enough. There are few cases like I described and people shouldn't forget those. They are not lying if the test says they have some disease. These people still should exercise and eat healthily, I'm not denying it either.

ReputationRep:
    saying images of thin girls isn't good for teenage girls but this is? i'm not saying it's healthy to see a very thin girl, but by putting images of 'real women' in the media it's like saying that being overweight is ok, which in reality ( no matter harsh this may sound) it's not. i'm not saying it makes you a bad person or anything, but leading an unhealthy lifestyle to become overweight (i know there are exceptions) definitely shouldn't be pulicised as the more healthy alternative to a thin girl.

plus fat chicks aren't hot unless you're into BBW :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't the conversion that is normally the issue. Just a thyroid not doing its job properly (Most T3 is made from T4 in the body)

You have the treatment right though.

No obviously this far from the majority of fat people. The point is to make you think before you chastise others. Obviously it has failed.
    Now thats just being pedantic, that is essentially what I was saying

ReputationRep:
    Now thats just being pedantic, that is essentially what I was saying
    I am known for my pedantry, but then this is part of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    You make a fair point, but do you really think the media is helping the problem by doing the opposite and encouraging girls to be unfit and overweight like that model?
    I don't think it's fair to assume that the woman in the photo is unfit; outward appearances aside, she might actually be very healthy. I see plenty of larger women at the gym, and they're often doing just as much exercise as the slimmer girls are. No, she obviously isn't a slim girl, but I don't really think she's overweight either. My reasoning for this is because although I'm not overweight, I do put on weight very easily and I can sympathise with any woman in a similar position; for some women, it's just so difficult to keep weight off. That's coming from someone whose favourite food is celery

But I do agree with you; the media rarely promote girls with average figures. You're either a stick, or you're fat. What about us girls with size 8/10/12/14 figures?

Incidentally, I heard that size 14 is the average figure for a woman in the UK. What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    ****ing media putting the idea in fatties' heads that this = curvy

this is what a 'real woman' actually is by today's standards.

sad.

"plus size model"?

lmao what a joke

I get what you mean man. There's all these facebook groups that say that curvy girls are better than slim girls and all the overweight girls join it.
    I have no issue with the woman in the picture being happy with how she looks (good for her) butwhen people call themselves healthy when they are actually overweight, I do have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Who does it matter? I cba to quote what you said to that other girl (it was a bit rude btw!), but how is her weight or her boyfriends preferences affecting your life? That's right, it's not. So why do you care so much? :s

The only objection I have is fat people using the word 'curvy' as you can be slim and curvy. The model in the OP isn't huge, but she's certainly a bit chunky, and I wouldn't call her 'curvy'.
    Because this idiotic thinking should not be accepted. It means guys have to look for a woman in a country filled with fatties, fatties who are depressed & bored. And another side of the argument is why should I have to pay for these peoples anti-depressants because of their own idiocy? And the model is not "a bit chunky", she's flat out fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Because this idiotic thinking should not be accepted. It means guys have to look for a woman in a country filled with fatties, fatties who are depressed & bored. And another side of the argument is why should I have to pay for these peoples anti-depressants because of their own idiocy? And the model is not "a bit chunky", she's flat out fat.
    Why are you so angry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt)
    Because being large is going to ruin my whole life, obviously.

There's no need to be so bloody rude, alright? Calm the hell down.

So I wouldn't want to be on the arm of a celebrity, so what? That doesn't rock my boat, so now I'm a freak? I'm sorry that I don't conform to your narrow version of humanity. Just because I'd rather stay out of Hollywood doesn't make me a freak.

I never said that good guys can't be good looking. Not once have I said or insinuated that, so get your facts right before you come on the internet and deal out a load of crap. My point is that ugly people, fat people, any people can be good people, and that matters more than size IMO.

I am honest with myself, I know that I'm fat. But the thing you people can't seem to understand is that it isn't my main priority to be thin, I'm sorry if that's not okay with you, but it's not, alright?

Passing my exams, learning to drive, saving for uni, getting to work on time, meeting with my friends, going out with my boyfriend, THESE are more important things than being thin.

Don't you come on here an assume that I'm a **** up because I'm fat. I've dealt with it, so get the **** over it.

Good luck in becoming a nice person.
    Considering the physical and mental implications of being fat (much higher chance of depression), yeah, being fat is going to cause you problems. To say otherwise is going against what doctors say :o:
    I'm not being rude, I'm being honest. If you think the truth is rude, that just highlights your own problems and insecurities.
    The fact that you like fat people DOES make you a freak. This is not a case of conforming, this is a case of what is natural, so don't try to make it out as if you're some enlightened person when in fact it's just that you're fuelled by insecurities.

Please explain the logic to me that a fat person can be a nice person. Not including those who are fat due to medical reasons, fat people are:

- Gluttonous (simply eat too much)
    - Selfish/Hedonistic/Decadent (Put personal pleasure before health)
    - Lazy (Eat too much for the amount of exercise they do)

Which one of those are good qualities?

So a main priority of yours is not to be healthy? For someone to care so little about their own health certainly is not good. What's the point of the rest of those things if you look in the mirror and realise you don't like what you see (which you, won't due to nature) whilst feeling lethargic etc?
    But the fact that you say "thin" instead of healthy shows that you are approaching it from all the wrong angles and are pretending it's all aesthetic rather than important due to the health implications. Not to mention how will you feel when you look back later on and realise you threw away a large part of your youth for food?

No one who has thought it through decides to be fat as there are no advantages to it, just disadvantages. So yes, I will come on here and be honest with you because clearly no one in your life is which is going to help no one. You can't "deal" with being fat because it is a CHOICE you have made, not some disability you are unable to solve.

I am a nice person. You are just an insecure girl burying your head in the sand. Honestly, if you don't sort your weight out, you will regret it whether it's in 6 months or 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Why are you so angry?
    Angry? That's simply the unedited truth. I don't beat around the bush, I say it as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the girl in the OP is fat. She has an attractive face, no doubt about it - but she's fat there is no denying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prescilla)
    Do you know that there are diseases that make people overweight? I have known few persons who used to be chubby and they thought that it was their fault (one reason is that people like you complain that fat people are lazy and they eat unhealthily). One had hypothyroidism and other girl's pcos caused hyperinsulinemia. I'm not saying that every fat person has a disease behind their fatness but some do! And many of them live with them for many years before realising that something is wrong. Some people never know because they think it's normal to gain weight really easily.

But about the girl in the picture, I don't think that she is curvy. She is really chubby. If someone is curvy, she has wide hips, big boobs and small waist. I hate it too how people say that fat or curvy (now I don't mean that they are the same thing) women are real women. So if you don't have bigger cup size than D, you are not a real woman? So I'm not a real woman even though I have nice curvy ass and hips but I don't have enormous boobs? But yeah, I think that "real woman" could lose 15-20 pounds. It really makes a difference in appearance and in her health. She has a pretty face so I believe she would be gorgeous.
    Disease? DISEASE?

It's not a disease

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.