The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She has a wonderful face, but I understand where you are coming from. There is no way the media can scream at us for our rising obesity levels if this is the kind of body they want women to aspire to; I dont support size zero models at all because that's unhealthy but cant they get women who dont have extremes in their BMI maybe we shouldnt all aim to be "skinny" or "curvy" but simply healthy then we'll all get along fine
Original post by crazylemon
Hahahaha you have no idea about the medication clearly. 'aiding the T4 to T3 conversion' :rofl:

Yes I know very little about the intricacies of the endocrine system in regards to hyperthyroid treatment and I am not going to pretend that I do. A large chunk of hyperthyroid sufferers cannot convert t4 into t3 efficiently. However last I checked the most common drug treatment used was essentially synthetic t4, am I wrong? This doesnt change anything and the 2% accounts for people who have an overactive and inactive thyroid so the chances of it being the cause of someones excess weight is even less than suggested
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Ummm, gyms are usually expensive and overcrowded. Furthermore someone who is overweight/disabled etc will probably feel even more self concious.

That said, if a guy had the same amount of excess flesh, the media and society will not be so kind. When was the last time anyone described an overweight man as 'bubbly' or 'curvy'?

No they arent. Average uni/council gym is £8-10 a month, how is this expensive. Avoiding the crowd? Simply go in the afternoon or late evening. Otherwise just find a sport or physical activity to partake in.
I was talking about fat people in general, not our age group. If you think 1 in 50 is rare you clearly don't know that many people.

And I said its alot more understandable if someone is middle aged, caring for a family and overweight. However a large chunk of overweight are not even in their thirties.
Original post by Justin Hammer
Yes I know very little about the intricacies of the endocrine system in regards to hyperthyroid treatment and I am not going to pretend that I do. A large chunk of hyperthyroid sufferers cannot convert t4 into t3 efficiently. However last I checked the most common drug treatment used was essentially synthetic t4, am I wrong? This doesnt change anything and the 2% accounts for people who have an overactive and inactive thyroid so the chances of it being the cause of someones excess weight is even less than suggested

It isn't the conversion that is normally the issue. Just a thyroid not doing its job properly (Most T3 is made from T4 in the body)

You have the treatment right though.

No obviously this far from the majority of fat people. The point is to make you think before you chastise others. Obviously it has failed.
Original post by Magnanimity
But in the absolute majority of cases it's just plain and simple eating too much and exercising too little. Rarer cases like the ones you've described are the exception to the rule.

Yes I'm not denying this and I realise that this is the main reason why people are fat. I was just commenting that other post which said almost that all fat people are always eating unhealthily and not exercising enough. There are few cases like I described and people shouldn't forget those. They are not lying if the test says they have some disease. These people still should exercise and eat healthily, I'm not denying it either.
saying images of thin girls isn't good for teenage girls but this is? i'm not saying it's healthy to see a very thin girl, but by putting images of 'real women' in the media it's like saying that being overweight is ok, which in reality ( no matter harsh this may sound) it's not. i'm not saying it makes you a bad person or anything, but leading an unhealthy lifestyle to become overweight (i know there are exceptions) definitely shouldn't be pulicised as the more healthy alternative to a thin girl.

plus fat chicks aren't hot unless you're into BBW :sexface:
It isn't the conversion that is normally the issue. Just a thyroid not doing its job properly (Most T3 is made from T4 in the body)

You have the treatment right though.

No obviously this far from the majority of fat people. The point is to make you think before you chastise others. Obviously it has failed.

Now thats just being pedantic, that is essentially what I was saying
Original post by Justin Hammer
Now thats just being pedantic, that is essentially what I was saying

I am known for my pedantry, but then this is part of my degree.
Original post by Jimbo1234
You make a fair point, but do you really think the media is helping the problem by doing the opposite and encouraging girls to be unfit and overweight like that model?

I don't think it's fair to assume that the woman in the photo is unfit; outward appearances aside, she might actually be very healthy. I see plenty of larger women at the gym, and they're often doing just as much exercise as the slimmer girls are. No, she obviously isn't a slim girl, but I don't really think she's overweight either. My reasoning for this is because although I'm not overweight, I do put on weight very easily and I can sympathise with any woman in a similar position; for some women, it's just so difficult to keep weight off. That's coming from someone whose favourite food is celery :tongue:

But I do agree with you; the media rarely promote girls with average figures. You're either a stick, or you're fat. What about us girls with size 8/10/12/14 figures?

Incidentally, I heard that size 14 is the average figure for a woman in the UK. What are your thoughts on this?
Original post by basketofsnakes

Original post by basketofsnakes
****ing media putting the idea in fatties' heads that this = curvy

this is what a 'real woman' actually is by today's standards.

sad.

"plus size model"?

lmao what a joke

I get what you mean man. There's all these facebook groups that say that curvy girls are better than slim girls and all the overweight girls join it.
I have no issue with the woman in the picture being happy with how she looks (good for her) butwhen people call themselves healthy when they are actually overweight, I do have a problem.
Reply 471
Why are you so angry?
Yes, the girl in the OP is fat. She has an attractive face, no doubt about it - but she's fat there is no denying that.
Reply 473
Original post by prescilla
Do you know that there are diseases that make people overweight? I have known few persons who used to be chubby and they thought that it was their fault (one reason is that people like you complain that fat people are lazy and they eat unhealthily). One had hypothyroidism and other girl's pcos caused hyperinsulinemia. I'm not saying that every fat person has a disease behind their fatness but some do! And many of them live with them for many years before realising that something is wrong. Some people never know because they think it's normal to gain weight really easily.

But about the girl in the picture, I don't think that she is curvy. She is really chubby. If someone is curvy, she has wide hips, big boobs and small waist. I hate it too how people say that fat or curvy (now I don't mean that they are the same thing) women are real women. So if you don't have bigger cup size than D, you are not a real woman? So I'm not a real woman even though I have nice curvy ass and hips but I don't have enormous boobs? But yeah, I think that "real woman" could lose 15-20 pounds. It really makes a difference in appearance and in her health. She has a pretty face so I believe she would be gorgeous.

Disease? DISEASE?

It's not a disease
(edited 13 years ago)
Displacement imo
Reply 475
Why?
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Jimbo, you're wasting my time.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't care less to be on their arms really. Not my cup of tea. Stop assuming things about me, you barely know me.

Please don't assume that my boyfriend is not hot because he's with a fatty Jimbo. Call me all you want m'lovie, but lay off him, yeah? He's a good guy, thankfully. Unlike some eh, Jimbo?

Anyway, don't bother quoting me again. You're wasting my time. A good troll is funny at first Jimbo, but you need to learn your limits. You promise to know when to shut up, and I'll keep my portion sizes small, yeah?

Ha, not your cup of tea.....you mean you could only wish, but then the truth hurts too much so you go into denial.
Your bf is not hot as he is fat. Fat is never hot as is shown by every person who is renown for being beautiful. He might be a good guy, but he will be a far cry from being physically attractive.
Anyway, I can see the truth is starting to dig in and make you uncomfortable so I will understand it if you do not reply. :rolleyes:

Original post by StressReliever
Sorry, but 3 is not 14% body fat and neither are the pussycat dolls/VS models. 14% body fat (for a woman) is more akin to your example of 'muscular'. It's extremely lean and defined.

This is also 14% body fat:

Spoiler

Ah yeah, I know sub 20% body fat will make you look very toned. I was simply trying to tell the person that the human body does not need much body fat on it to be healthy as they thought it did.

Original post by Beth Angharad
I don't think it's fair to assume that the woman in the photo is unfit; outward appearances aside, she might actually be very healthy. I see plenty of larger women at the gym, and they're often doing just as much exercise as the slimmer girls are. No, she obviously isn't a slim girl, but I don't really think she's overweight either. My reasoning for this is because although I'm not overweight, I do put on weight very easily and I can sympathise with any woman in a similar position; for some women, it's just so difficult to keep weight off. That's coming from someone whose favourite food is celery :tongue:

But I do agree with you; the media rarely promote girls with average figures. You're either a stick, or you're fat. What about us girls with size 8/10/12/14 figures?

Incidentally, I heard that size 14 is the average figure for a woman in the UK. What are your thoughts on this?

For someone to have that much fat would make me believe that she does very little exercise and therefore is unfit.

As for people keeping off weight, it all depends on dedication, motivation, and life style. If you have a proper diet and exercise regime then it will be easy to control your weight. However if you slip up on one of these things then it is very easy to gain those extra pounds.

Size 14 in the UK is disgusting sadly. Now I say this as the average height for women in the UK is only 5ft 4' meaning the average British girl is a dumpy little blob.
And why?
What reason do they have when they live in such a developed country bar their own short comings making them unattractive in every way.
Reply 477
In the same way that anorexia and over-skinny models shouldn't be promoted, neither should over-weight women, as you've shown.
I really doubt I will regret it, tbh.

I say 'thin' because this thread wasn't about health. From the OP, this thread was about what size is socially acceptable for women. THIS is the topic I'm discussing.

I never said I liked fat people, darling. Stop putting words into my mouth. Nor do I not like fat people. I do not care about a persons size, because contrary to your close minded views, a persons looks do not indicate their entire personality.

Thank you for assuming I am insecure. It's lovely to know that you've taken all this time to get to know me. Go you.

You have just said that fat people cannot be nice people, and therefore I refuse to waste my time with you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234
Ha, not your cup of tea.....you mean you could only wish, but then the truth hurts too much so you go into denial.
Your bf is not hot as he is fat. Fat is never hot as is shown by every person who is renown for being beautiful. He might be a good guy, but he will be a far cry from being physically attractive.
Anyway, I can see the truth is starting to dig in and make you uncomfortable so I will understand it if you do not reply. :rolleyes:

Don't patronise me Jimbo.

I'M fat, not my bf. Learn to read.

I can see that I have no desire to speak to you, so I will understand it if you do not reply :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending