Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretence)
    tbh the 99 ppl who share it dont all cook at the same time.
    it does get cramped occasionally, but generally te fact that theres only 2 kitchens means that every1 get 2 meet up with every1 (who comes out of their room) ^^
    lol now u mention it that does seem like a good point did u come from pembridge? only cuz unlike some of the other halls they didnt have a quick tour video around the hall... would u def recommend it??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    I hadn't realised that you can only put down each hall once, and I only found out yesterday that the Eastside and Southside halls are categorised as that and not individually. Is it possible to simply fill up 3/5 choices as I'm only interested in these and possibly Beit if it were a push. Thanks.
    I hope so because only 3 halls actually fit within my price range .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e)
    Avoid Pembridge. It is old and there are only two kitchens to be shared by 130 people.
    Yeah you're right. Even after the recent rennovation it's still just two kitchens to a whopping 99 people :eek: I'm not up for there being loads of people around when I just want to go cook a bite to eat. THat's very off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_At)
    lol now u mention it that does seem like a good point did u come from pembridge? only cuz unlike some of the other halls they didnt have a quick tour video around the hall... would u def recommend it??
    yes although if u live on 3rd floor, it is a trek to a kitchen as there are no lifts.

imo its a huuge journey to uni (im ridiculously lazy), depends if u like cycling/walking through hyde park. ^

otherwise its defo recommended ^^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Yeah you're right. Even after the recent rennovation it's still just two kitchens to a whopping 99 people :eek: I'm not up for there being loads of people around when I just want to go cook a bite to eat. THat's very off-putting.
    seriously not every1 cooks, theres mcdonalds, kfc like 2 mins away. internationals stay in their rooms and cook at really awkward times to avoid seeing people.

the kitchen should defo not be a main concern...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcfch)
    You get 5 choices, but you can't put down one hall more than once. Not sure about the weeks qs...
    Wow. I really didn't know that.

I had this in mind:

1: Garden - triple
    2: Garden - small twin
    3: Garden - standard twin
    4: Fisher - triple
    5: Fisher - twin

.............Poo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Alex-92)
    Wow. I really didn't know that.

I had this in mind:

1: Garden - triple
    2: Garden - small twin
    3: Garden - standard twin
    4: Fisher - triple
    5: Fisher - twin

............Poo.
    I had almost exactly the same rooms in mind (except for bernard sunley triple instead of garden standard twin). Bum. I'm struggling to find anything else within my price range though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I had almost exactly the same rooms in mind (except for bernard sunley triple instead of garden standard twin). Bum. I'm struggling to find anything else within my price range though :/
    Do we have to put down 5 choices? I can only think of Garden, Fisher and Bernard Sunley as possible halls.

ReputationRep:
    Wow my thread is still going strong! Even though I'm not actually gonna go to Imperial now. I love how it has just turned into a general thread about accomodation

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to put down 5 choices? I can only think of Garden, Fisher and Bernard Sunley as possible halls.
    You really should try to find the best of the rest and put them as your 4th and 5th.. you're unlikely to get your top choice so you'd hate to get the worst possible hall just because you didn't use all 5 choices. I don't actually know whether or not you have to use them.. you just should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernovae)
    Wow my thread is still going strong! Even though I'm not actually gonna go to Imperial now. I love how it has just turned into a general thread about accomodation
    I was recently in North Yorkshire for holiday and I don't remember knowing anyone at Imperial who come from North Yorkshire. Not many people come from that part of the country and study at Imperial, so it's unfortunate that you are not going. Not that I am familiar with that part of the country.

The A65 is incredibly pretty. The Cavendish Pavilion in Bolton Abbey is quite English. Which is the south-most town that is considered part of North Yorkshire? Otley?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by taheki)
    You really should try to find the best of the rest and put them as your 4th and 5th.. you're unlikely to get your top choice so you'd hate to get the worst possible hall just because you didn't use all 5 choices. I don't actually know whether or not you have to use them.. you just should.
    You don't get to put them in order of preference I think. Although it's logical to fill out all 5, if there's no where else within your price range, then what can you do? I think you can put on the form that price is more important to you. Ugh. Will just have to see when the email comes this month.

Not sure. I'm also in the situation where Garden, Fisher and Bernard Sunley are the only ones which fit within my price range.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. I'm also in the situation where Garden, Fisher and Bernard Sunley are the only ones which fit within my price range.
    I'll just have to wait until the email pops through this month, and see what I can do. It just sucks because i'm not from an extremely poor background, but i'm one of nine children so cannot be given any funding support from my parents. Yet i'm put in a category in student finance where I recieve almost the bare minimum amount of financial support. Being in London doesn't help either.

Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    You don't get to put them in order of preference I think. Although it's logical to fill out all 5, if there's no where else within your price range, then what can you do? I think you can put on the form that price is more important to you. Ugh. Will just have to see when the email comes this month.

Yeah you do get to choose 1 of 2 preferences: Room type or Price. All I'm saying is that surely of all the ones that don't suit you, there are likely to be some that are worse than others. Try to fill your last spaces with the best of the worst.

I think you might be right in that you can't order them in terms of preference.. it didn't give any indication either way when I filled mine in last year. However I did place them in choice order for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretence)
    seriously not every1 cooks, theres mcdonalds, kfc like 2 mins away. internationals stay in their rooms and cook at really awkward times to avoid seeing people.

the kitchen should defo not be a main concern...
    It's a good point, but I don't intend to get any takeways or eat out (except on rare occasions) so I'll be using the kitchen everyday, even if just to stick something in the oven.

I might be joining those shy internationals in cooking at awkward hours tbh :erm: If I want to chat to people there are common rooms and the SU etc.. I go to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat, not to get distracted by people.

I still might apply to Pembridge if I can't find anything else though. Definitely going for Weeks and Wilson at least! Weeks would be my first choice by far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by taheki)
    Yeah you do get to choose 1 of 2 preferences: Room type or Price. All I'm saying is that surely of all the ones that don't suit you, there are likely to be some that are worse than others. Try to fill your last spaces with the best of the worst.

I think you might be right in that you can't order them in terms of preference.. it didn't give any indication either way when I filled mine in last year. However I did place them in choice order for the sake of it.
    Ah ok. So I could put 2 slightly more expensive halls, but then say that my preference is price, and then I'm more likely to get my cheaper options.

I'll just have to wait until the email pops through this month, and see what I can do. It just sucks because i'm not from an extremely poor background, but i'm one of nine children so cannot be given any funding support from my parents. Yet i'm put in a category in student finance where I recieve almost the bare minimum amount of financial support. Being in London doesn't help either.

Sigh.
    Wow. One of nine! Yeah, I can see where the problem is! I couldn't imagine being in such a big family. I just have one sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e)
    I was recently in North Yorkshire for holiday and I don't remember knowing anyone at Imperial who come from North Yorkshire. Not many people come from that part of the country and study at Imperial, so it's unfortunate that you are not going. Not that I am familiar with that part of the country.

The A65 is incredibly pretty. The Cavendish Pavilion in Bolton Abbey is quite English. Which is the south-most town that is considered part of North Yorkshire? Otley?
    Yeah, I actually know very few people who have applied/gone to Imperial, which surprises me considering how many people I know who have applied/gone to Oxbridge.
    I'm pretty sure I've been to Bolton Abbey, but Im not quite sure as there are lots of Abbeys around here! Haha I wouldn't know abut the Southern-most town - I live pretty much in the north of North Yorkshire, right on the border with Cleveland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    I hadn't realised that you can only put down each hall once, and I only found out yesterday that the Eastside and Southside halls are categorised as that and not individually. Is it possible to simply fill up 3/5 choices as I'm only interested in these and possibly Beit if it were a push. Thanks.
    Ok, im not 100% sure but I think you have to put down 5 choices. I seem to remember trying to put down 4 but it wouldnt let me submit the form. So pick 5 just in case!

ReputationRep:
    if I apply for one of the halls closer to the engineering departments does that mean that the majority of people in my halls will be engineers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tahabutt)
    if I apply for one of the halls closer to the engineering departments does that mean that the majority of people in my halls will be engineers?
    AFAIK all the departments apart from Medicine are based in the main South Kensington campus, so there won't be any halls that are specifically close to the Engineering department.

This is Imperial after all. The only people that go there are engineers, scientists and medics, so I assure you that you won't have any trouble finding engineers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.