Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    I will never buy a Kindle as long as I live
    Why not, they're great!

I think the main difference it makes for me is I read more novels than I used to and more classic literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daphodil)
    I have an iPhone 3GS and just downloaded the "iBooks" app for free. You can get loads of books on the iTunes store that are pretty reasonable, and a lot of freebies. Got a few yesterday and it's really handy to have & they're stored on a cool little bookshelf

I have an iPhone anyway, so i'm only suggesting it if you have one too to save a bit of money. But if you don't, stick with the kindle!
    I have the same app on my iphone but find it hard to read it for long periods because of glare. Like you say if you already have an iphone and don't read a huge amount then it's great, if not then definitely get a kindle as ive heard nothing but bad things about Kobos.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the last paper book I read took me 3 months to get through, and the first kindle book I've read took me around 5 days (having also been very busy during the days) I would say so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I do believe that if you order a kindle off of Amazon, you have 30 days in which you can return it and have it, and any e-books you bought, refunded. You could always buy one and try it out.

I have just bought the cheaper kindle, and thought I would hate it as I was very much of the opinion that you can't beat the feel of a book etc. but I actually love mine, it's really nice to read on and the pages look just like that of a book.

The main thing I like about it is that you can choose a book, download it and start reading within seconds, no more waiting for them to come in the post or having to go to the shops to get them.

I've noticed, though, that a lot of e-books are actually more expensive than their paper versions, which is annoying considering it doesn't make much sense, no binding, paper costs etc. but there are ways of downloading books for free, so you can easily get over that.
    it is quite handy that you can return it , i might try that. however its not the feel of the book i don't like about the cheaper kindle i just don't like the look of the buttons haha. just me being picky though really. i have found a few ways of getting free ebooks but apparently they don't work on kindles because they only except kindle format or something:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    I find my Kindle really useful for uni actually, as you can read journal articles from JSTOR & the like on them, saving you both having to print them out, or trying to read them on a computer screen, which strains the eyes. I also read books from the likes of Early English Books Online (I'm a historian), as they're all PDF format, and it's saved me a ton of paper & printer ink already. Just another thing to consider about Kindles/e-readers
    To be honest i don't think i'd really use it for uni as i don't have alot of reading to do anyway because my course if practical based but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    it is quite handy that you can return it , i might try that. however its not the feel of the book i don't like about the cheaper kindle i just don't like the look of the buttons haha. just me being picky though really. i have found a few ways of getting free ebooks but apparently they don't work on kindles because they only except kindle format or something:/
    They accept a few different formats, they're listed on the Amazon website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Kindle...is far superior to the Kobo and iPad if you're just looking for a reading device. The app support for kindle is great too, so you can pick up the books where you left off on your smart phone, PC, iPad, tablet etc
    The kobo has all the same app support as the kindle, i have the kobo app on my phone atm

I liked the feel of the kobo when using it in whsmith but all the shops i've been in to try out the kindle have just had dummies which hasn't helped haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daphodil)
    I have an iPhone 3GS and just downloaded the "iBooks" app for free. You can get loads of books on the iTunes store that are pretty reasonable, and a lot of freebies. Got a few yesterday and it's really handy to have & they're stored on a cool little bookshelf

I have an iPhone anyway, so i'm only suggesting it if you have one too to save a bit of money. But if you don't, stick with the kindle!
    I have the samsung galaxy s2:P but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kog)
    I use my Iphone for reading reading books, personally my mate got a Kindle, but simply gave up on it. He simply wasn't into reading books, therefore he got an iPad, which is more suited to him, as it did more than books and web browsing.

Still, if you only want an ebook reader, and are willing to chip out on a lot of cash for books to read (or find `other` ways of obtaining your books, like i `may` do on my iPhone with the iBooks app) then go for a Kindle, but if you're gonna get it, read two chapters of one book and then realise you cant stand reading, dont bother my mate gave his to his mum in the end.
    I'm definately not going to get it then realise i can't stand reading just a case of which one haha

ReputationRep:
    Kindle is great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    I have the same app on my iphone but find it hard to read it for long periods because of glare. Like you say if you already have an iphone and don't read a huge amount then it's great, if not then definitely get a kindle as ive heard nothing but bad things about Kobos.
    What bad stuff have you heard about kobos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    They accept a few different formats, they're listed on the Amazon website.
    I just looked and i haven't head of any of the formats apart form .TXT haha. Kindles don't except epub which is the format alot of the free books i've found are in

ReputationRep:
    What bad stuff have you heard about kobos?
    Just the things that have all been mentioned already about interface, touch screen not working etc and tbh i tried one the other day and really didn't get on with it at all.

ReputationRep:
    The Kindle is more popular, and reading the reviews on Amazon, most people comparing the Kindle to other ereaders are saying the Kindle is the best, mostly due to the contrast with e-ink technology. £20 more isn't a lot in the long run, especially if you plan on buying the books rather than torrenting them. So if you're leaning more towards buying a Kobo becuase of it don't. E-books are still far too expensive imo. If the words are not being printed onto paper, surely an e-book should be cheaper than a physical copy, not more expensive (which they are in a lot of cases) or at-least the same cost as a physical copy. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I just looked and i haven't head of any of the formats apart form .TXT haha. Kindles don't except epub which is the format alot of the free books i've found are in
    http://calibre-ebook.com/about
    I got given this link by someone on here, haven't tried it out yet, but apparently you can convert e-book formats using it.

ReputationRep:
    With the e-readers its difficult to say really. The kindle is high quality, has a large range of books etc. But I have to say it is really expensive. You will need to read lots for it to be worth the money! I know many people who are really happy with it and it has amazing features.

I work at WHSmiths so I am fairly familiar with the Kobo. Its £70 for the button one and £90 for the touch one. They are not as 'good' as the kindle because they don't have all those fancy features :P However, they are definitely worth it if you don't want to pay all the money for the kindle. They work really well and there are loads of books available. I've had no complaints so far about them. If you want to find out more just go to a WHSmiths store and ask someone and they will advise you

So I'd probably say do a bit more research and then you will be able to decide
    Hope this helps, and feel free to ask me any questions xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    Just the things that have all been mentioned already about interface, touch screen not working etc and tbh i tried one the other day and really didn't get on with it at all.
    I went into the shop thinking i preferred the touch screen but using them i actually preferred the cheaper one, hopefully ill get to a shop where i can actually try out a kindle soon!

Also apparently the kindle fire is coming out in the uk sometimes this month will probs cost alot more though and obviouslywon't be e-ink:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetsAndSugar)
    The Kindle is more popular, and reading the reviews on Amazon, most people comparing the Kindle to other ereaders are saying the Kindle is the best, mostly due to the contrast with e-ink technology. £20 more isn't a lot in the long run, especially if you plan on buying the books rather than torrenting them. So if you're leaning more towards buying a Kobo becuase of it don't. E-books are still far too expensive imo. If the words are not being printed onto paper, surely an e-book should be cheaper than a physical copy, not more expensive (which they are in a lot of cases) or at-least the same cost as a physical copy. :confused:
    Well im not planning on buying the e books and will be torrenting them because yea they are more expensive, also my local library rents out ebooks which is good

ReputationRep:
    As someone has already mentioned, you can download Calibre and convert any form of text format into something suitable for the Kindle, i.e .mobi. It's extremely easy to use, and one of the great things about it is that if, for example, you have a .pdf file with a hyperlinked contents page, it will also convert the hyperlinks onto the .mobi format so you can use them on your kindle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    This. I bought it as it made economic sense, pretty much every book can be found for free on the web.

I find them easier to read than a book as well :yes:
    Really!?
    Where do you find them?
    This is the only thing that has stopped me from buying the kindle...because most of the time the paper version is cheaper than the kindle version.
    Please let me know!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.