The Student Room Group

The "What Film Is This?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Okay I'm annoyed atm. Just remembered a film ending and I can't remember what it is at all.

The ending is similar to that of The Mist (2007). The ending is basically a guy and girl in a room. He thinks they're going to torture her to death so she asks him to kill her and he does, but the film ends with him being rescued and distraught that he killed her. I think they were cops/detectives/agents.

Anyone have any idea what film I'm talking about?
Reply 461
Original post by Raheem786
Hi, please quote me if you reply as I'll completely forget to check :smile:

The film stars a ?scientist? teacher and is kidnapped. She is kept in a room, possibly near a beach. She tangles with wires to get a phone call to try and call someone which I think she successfully does. Then something happens at a beach?Maybe she strangles someone? to escape?

Raheem

That sounds like Cellular. Not a 100% sure though.
A horror movie where kids end up inside the tv and then communicate with their parents through the tv and/or paintings around the house trying to get out again...

Someone mentioned this yesterday but couldn't remember the name...

Think I've seen the Simpson's episode based on it though...
Thriller / Horror film.

Revolves around a ghost of a woman who lurks on a building balcony.

Protagonist moves into said house, and as events unfold, comes across a mysterious telephone line which leads to a secret room.

I think the protagonist has several visions or flashbacks regarding the past of the house, possibly something involving a baby or a child that used to live in the house.

Showed on Channel 5 many, MANY years ago. The film preview part (bit before film starts and before the ad breaks) was of the protagonist in a car, screaming, due to an approaching train.

The film ends with the protagonist moving out of the house, and as she leaves, she looks up to the roof of the house and sees the ghost woman on the balcony.

Literally, if anyone gets this, I will cry, as I have been trying to find this film for ages.
Reply 464
Original post by Motorbiker
A horror movie where kids end up inside the tv and then communicate with their parents through the tv and/or paintings around the house trying to get out again...

Someone mentioned this yesterday but couldn't remember the name...

Think I've seen the Simpson's episode based on it though...

Sounds like Poltergeist.

Original post by jamboogy
Thriller / Horror film.

Protagonist moves into said house, and as events unfold, comes across a mysterious telephone line which leads to a secret room.

I think the protagonist has several visions or flashbacks regarding the past of the house, possibly something involving a baby or a child that used to live in the house.

Showed on Channel 5 many, MANY years ago. The film preview part (bit before film starts and before the ad breaks) was of the protagonist in a car, screaming, due to an approaching train.

The film ends with the protagonist moving out of the house, and as she leaves, she looks up to the roof of the house and sees the ghost woman on the balcony.

Literally, if anyone gets this, I will cry, as I have been trying to find this film for ages.

Any other info? Sounded a bit like Dark Water but don't think it is.
Original post by Deshi
Any other info? Sounded a bit like Dark Water but don't think it is.

That's honestly all that I can remember. Although, if it helps, the ghost woman on the balcony is dressed in a maid type outfit. I think :s-smilie:.
Reply 466
That's honestly all that I can remember. Although, if it helps, the ghost woman on the balcony is dressed in a maid type outfit. I think :s-smilie:.

Was it definitely an apartment and not a house? Did the protagonist live on her own? How old do you think it is, 2000 onwards? :holmes:
Original post by Deshi
Was it definitely an apartment and not a house? Did the protagonist live on her own? How old do you think it is, 2000 onwards? :holmes:

It was definitely in a house, a pretty massive one.

With regards to the protagonist, I think she lived at the house with her partner, although I am not too sure I'm afraid.

Definitely a 90s film.
Reply 468
It was definitely in a house, a pretty massive one.

With regards to the protagonist, I think she lived at the house with her partner, although I am not too sure I'm afraid.

Definitely a 90s film.

The ending of the film rings a bell :holmes:
Reply 469
Thriller / Horror film.

It's not The Grudge, is it? (I believe there are several versions of it...)
Original post by Abiraleft
It's not The Grudge, is it? (I believe there are several versions of it...)

No, definitely not.
Reply 471
Original post by BritGirl
Can you identify this film I watched years ago.......?

It was about this mermaid who got taken out of the sea and she looked and acted like a normal person. She met this bloke and one day while they were in town (I have no idea how she was walking), her fin accidently rolled out onto the floor beneath her coat and everyone around was obviously shocked. Next thing I remember she got captured and was put in a water tank in a science lab or something and I'm not sure about this but I think the man turned out to be a mermaid too. She was treated like an experiment and I think she fell in love with the man/ the man was looking after her. I think it was all American actors.

Lol I know it sounds lame :redface:

Splash!
Romantic comedy with Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, John Candy
Reply 472
Original post by wkl8
I'm looking for the title of an 80s 'ish british tv movie about the IRA
The main guy had curly hair, maybe lanky and was basically a nice guy but was shot to death at the end by police.

Wouldn't be The Crying Game would it?
The EXACT thread that I need!!

I watched a film recently where the couple say 'like you' because their not at the 'love you' stage yet.

WHAT FILM IS THIS?! please help, so frustrating not knowing!
Reply 474
Original post by Raheem786
A few months ago I watched a film where 2 (I think soldiers) are captured by terrorist and in a secluded location one soldier is forced to beat another one to death with a stick. What's the name of the movie? (If replying, please quote this, otherwise ill forget)

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

black hawk down
green zone
the kingdom
body of lies

Any of those?
Fairly old film I watched with my parents. Guy goes from America to Scotland to buy land for an oil refinery but falls in love with the place. Sees the Northern Lights etc :smile: was a brilliant film! Then he goes back to America and he really missed it and the last scene is him ringing through to a red phone box in the town in Scotland...
Reply 476
Original post by dudleyian
Fairly old film I watched with my parents. Guy goes from America to Scotland to buy land for an oil refinery but falls in love with the place. Sees the Northern Lights etc :smile: was a brilliant film! Then he goes back to America and he really missed it and the last scene is him ringing through to a red phone box in the town in Scotland...

Could be Local Hero (1983).
I watched this movie a while ago late at night on Film 4 but don't remember the name.

It's a really low budget looking british film about a teenage boy(who seems a bit mentally handicapped) who gets bullied in school. He makes friends with this girl and they hang out in the woods together a lot. There are a lot of scenes of them in the woods, both morning and night. They develop a strange relationship, I can't remember if they sleep together.

There is a scene where the girl is in her room with one of her teachers(he might be a priest, I can't remember) and he comes onto her and kinda forces her to have sex with him.

I think in the end the boy dies.

It's a very low budget artsy film with a lot of hand held camerawork. The scenes of them in the woods at night look incredibly grainy. It's not a very visually stunning film.

Does the plot sound familiar? Anyone know what this film is called? It was shown on film 4 quite late at night sometime this year perhaps.

I really wanna remember the name :biggrin:
There was a film called Submarine shown on film4 which is about a relationship between a boy and a girl amongst other things and it's a great film. If i'm right it was adapted from a book.
Original post by henrychinaski
There was a film called Submarine shown on film4 which is about a relationship between a boy and a girl amongst other things and it's a great film. If i'm right it was adapted from a book.

It's not Submarine unfortunately :/ this film is much much more low budget than that. The camera quality was fairly poor aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest