TSR Pagan Society Watch

Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Etoile)
I haven't really narrowed it down very much yet :lol: I do know that Lampeter doesn't offer my course though. Thank you! Were there many people on it when you were there?
Yes there were. About 15 or so regular members and at bigger events we had more.

But please don't pick your uni based upon the pagan soc. Please don't. And Bangor really isn't brilliant. (Oh I could tell you stories... But again, some people love Bangor. Everybody I know hates it... )
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
Yes there were. About 15 or so regular members and at bigger events we had more.

But please don't pick your uni based upon the pagan soc. Please don't. And Bangor really isn't brilliant. (Oh I could tell you stories... But again, some people love Bangor. Everybody I know hates it... )
Oh wow!
Oh, I won't pick it only on that, of course not! But it could be a factor.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh wow!
Oh, I won't pick it only on that, of course not! But it could be a factor.
UCL has one when I was there, but it seemed to have a few fluffies in it when I went.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are many things beyond scientific understanding, for example precisely how children learn to talk, why we blush or what our dreams mean. -[snip]-
Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Also, you're assuming that their even is a meaning and a why.

We already know how and why we blush. How children learn to talk requires going into evolutionary biology (in fact, you can also compare to how other species develop languages in the animal kingdom as an example), evolutionary and cognitive psychology (& science) and neuroscience - but very simply, children mimic their carers as they develop and grow, it's incredibly easy learning languages at an early age and becoming more difficult in adulthood, to get a more detailed idea of how this works (in the brain for instance) see the above mentioned disciplines. As for dreams, why must they have a meaning at all?

Not responding to any of your beliefs, just the claims you made regarding the above and how they're beyond scientific understanding when they're clearly not, because we have some very reasonable explanations for them.

EDIT: Wtf, you're not the person I quoted - it changed Also just realised what this thread is, just to repeat - not responding to any belief system, just the claim that the above three things are beyond scientific understanding. In fact, it's illogical to even claim it in the first place because you can never be certain.
Etoile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
UCL has one when I was there, but it seemed to have a few fluffies in it when I went.
I think there are likely to be fluffies wherever one goes.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Also, you're assuming that their even is a meaning and a why.

We already know how and why we blush. How children learn to talk requires going into evolutionary biology (in fact, you can also compare to how other species develop languages in the animal kingdom as an example), evolutionary and cognitive psychology (& science) and neuroscience - but very simply, children mimic their carers as they develop and grow, it's incredibly easy learning languages at an early age and becoming more difficult in adulthood, to get a more detailed idea of how this works (in the brain for instance) see the above mentioned disciplines. As for dreams, why must they have a meaning at all?

Not responding to any of your beliefs, just the claims you made regarding the above and how they're beyond scientific understanding when they're clearly not, because we have some very reasonable explanations for them.
Of course I'm not sure, because no matter how proven anything is, there could always be new evidence to change things. One should never be sure of anything ^^
I read the blushing thing in an article that said we know the biological reasons (something to do with adrenaline iirc) but not the psychological reasons. Clearly not everything has a why or reason, but with dreams yes, we don't know why we dream about what we do a great deal of the time - why did I dream about going to the supermarket or being pregnant or having a pet tiger? Nobody knows. It would be interesting to know what causes it. Linguistics is a particular area of interest to me; reading even an introductory book on the subject will tell you that scientists don't know what happens in the brain for us to absorb language and that there are several theories about child language acquisition but we don't know if they are right or not.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Of course I'm not sure, because no matter how proven anything is, there could always be new evidence to change things. One should never be sure of anything ^^
Exactly I try to keep an eye on my wording to avoid it.

I read the blushing thing in an article that said we know the biological reasons (something to do with adrenaline iirc) but not the psychological reasons.
Very interesting. How many years ago was this article published, the source, and do you think you could find it again?

Adrenaline is a part of it yes. Actually see this guy's explanation - he's nailed it, it's pretty cool how it works (Note: Keep in mind it's from over 4 years ago) - dates are always relevant in science, especially in this area.

Spoiler:
Show
To begin, let’s first look at the physiology of blushing to see what happens in our bodies that causes the redness in our faces. Basically, an involuntary reaction of our sympathetic nervous system causes the blood vessels in our face to dilate. This increases blood flow to the area, resulting in a color that ranges from light pink to dark red. Because it is involuntary, it is something we cannot control, despite our best efforts.

Now, let’s take a more detailed look. Blushing begins with an emotion—usually one associated with self-consciousness. Our adrenal glands produce adrenaline that binds to the surface of responsive cells. This causes an enzyme called adenylyl cyclase to activate, which, in turn, causes the level of cyclic AMP to increase. Cyclic AMP is a messenger molecule that transmits the adrenaline signal within the cell. This increase in cyclic AMP levels directly causes the dilation of blood vessels.

To exacerbate things is the fact that the areas of our body that blush are different in structure than other areas. Blushing regions such as our cheeks have more capillaries and blood vessels in comparison to other regions of the body. And, the vessels themselves in our cheeks are also wider in diameter and closer to the surface. All these factors combine to enhance the effect of the blood flow into a warm rosy flush.

Despite now knowing what happens, you may still be asking why everyone blushes. Well, sadly, the answer is no one really knows. Very little scientific study has been done, and the few studies that have been conducted are from a psychological perspective.

However, the few findings there are have yielded some interesting facts. For example, it looks as though blushing first appears in children of kindergarten age, when interaction with others produces a social awareness for the first time. Then, through adolescence, blushing reaches its highest level as teenagers go through a period of being very self-conscious. As we get older, blushing seems to dissipate. This happens because adults become less self-conscious with age and experience, and the stimulation of facial blood vessels decreases with age.

In addition to age, various other social factors also contribute to blushing. It appears, for example, that women tend to blush more than men—especially when related to compliments and modesty. Cultural background also plays a part, as those of European descent tend to blush more than those of Asian descent—despite no physiological differences. Even those with very dark skin can blush deeply.

So, the next time you find yourself embarrassed, and feel the heat rising rapidly in your cheeks, try to take comfort in the fact that you have no control over this involuntary reaction—and everyone else goes through the same process at one time or another!

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080403115456AAnSkQc

Clearly not everything has a why or reason, but with dreams yes, we don't know why we dream about what we do a great deal of the time - why did I dream about going to the supermarket or being pregnant or having a pet tiger? Nobody knows. It would be interesting to know what causes it.
Unfortunately I still haven't studied or researched enough of oneirology to provide an explanation of how or why we dream about such things - I've read a few theories in light of both psychology and evolution and why all mammals dream and that it occurs at the REM stage but that's about it - also remember reading once about how we always forget our dreams except if we've woken up during it. Many medications also alter our dreams in bizarre ways (antidepressants as an example). I could probably say that it's due to our conscious experiences when we're awake or what we take in subconsciously - but I suppose if you're interested you could research it when you get time or something.

However, I will never say that nobody knows and that it's beyond scientific understanding. Especially if I have no experience in the relevant field.

Linguistics is a particular area of interest to me; reading even an introductory book on the subject will tell you that scientists don't know what happens in the brain for us to absorb language and that there are several theories about child language acquisition but we don't know if they are right or not.
Interesting again, which book are you referring to and which subject does it come under? How many years ago? I only ask this because I've been keeping up with a lot of recent advancements in the past few years and I'm genuinely curious.

I only refer to spoken language. Reading/Writing is too recent to be considered natural and requires education.

Also just wanna say - then it's clearly not beyond scientific understanding.
Etoile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

That ^ is very well observed :rofl:
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

That ^ is very well observed :rofl:
:rofl:
I hope people don't see me as that! I think I'm seen as more like this though... (4.00)
Spoiler:
Show

Sorry for going off topic... :emo:
JohnC2211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BombshellBabe)
Yeah, I'm gonna be celebrating this Beltane, but some of the Wiccan stuff is a bit too much for me :/ I stick with some basic herbal/candle rituals and I bless my friends
Isn't that like saying, Oh I'm a Muslim but fasting is a bit too much for me? I stick with praying 5 times a day and I shake hands with everyone I meet?

All or nothing. There is no in between with religion.
Pandora.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JohnC2211)
Isn't that like saying, Oh I'm a Muslim but fasting is a bit too much for me? I stick with praying 5 times a day and I shake hands with everyone I meet?

Wicca is just one faith that comes under the 'pagan' umbrella term. So you can be pagan but find the Wiccan stuff a bit too much for your own beliefs.
Hravan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So what are you guys planning to do for Imbolc this year?

I realised a few days ago when reading back through my diaries that this Imbolc is going to be the 5 year anniversary of my self-initiation. I'm actually amazed at how much I've managed to learn in those 5 years...
Etoile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JohnC2211)

What Pandora said. Wicca has a lot of ritual work which some people don't like. Not all pagans are wiccans, and many pagans just like connecting with deity or whatever without all the ceremony and things.

(Original post by Hravan)
So what are you guys planning to do for Imbolc this year?

I realised a few days ago when reading back through my diaries that this Imbolc is going to be the 5 year anniversary of my self-initiation. I'm actually amazed at how much I've managed to learn in those 5 years...
Is it bad that I haven't even thought about it yet?
That's so great!
Alexok
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I see one christian/muslim on here complaining about how paganism etc sounds stupid then...:mute:
YogaintheWoods
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is anyone celebrating Imbolc (Pagan festival on 2nd February), how are you celebrating?
select the right name
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by YogaintheWoods)
Is anyone celebrating Imbolc (Pagan festival on 2nd February), how are you celebrating?
Oops I accidently negged you instead of the quote button. My sincerest apologies!

I'll be celebrating Imbolc by driving to Leicester for an interview for medical school, then driving back...........hmmmph!
The Socktor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I've thought about joining the Church of Satan. But I don't think it really is available in my area...
pandaboo92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pandora.)
:rofl:
I hope people don't see me as that! I think I'm seen as more like this though... (4.00)
Spoiler:
Show

Sorry for going off topic... :emo:
lmfaaaoooo those things in that vid with the meditating, tarot cards and energy is soo me XD hahahahh i've even said 'oh my goddess' before hah XD oh deary, i assure you that i'm not as 'beverly hills' about it lol cus of how she sounds in the vid hehe
Peace and love everyone ^_^ (oh i'm so gettin a download write now) XD hahhaha
Pandora.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:hi:

Anyone around?
Hravan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am chained to this forum, so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (543)
37.79%
No - but I will (112)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.6%

Watched Threads