The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway 2013 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Got an offer for geography on wednesday through the post with no conditions on it. It said these would be displayed on track shortly. My track still hasn't been updated anyone know why? Had this too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 461
Original post by Inverse
Offer for Computer Science today.

I got mine a while ago. But hey! Looks like we could be in the same classes :biggrin:
Reply 462
Original post by Griyu
I got mine a while ago. But hey! Looks like we could be in the same classes :biggrin:

Hey there, possibly! :tongue: I sent my UCAS off very recently though, they replied within 3 days. :eek:
Reply 463
Original post by Inverse
Hey there, possibly! :tongue: I sent my UCAS off very recently though, they replied within 3 days. :eek:

That's awesome! What are you choices?
Reply 464
Original post by winningjojo
Got an offer for geography on wednesday through the post with no conditions on it. It said these would be displayed on track shortly. My track still hasn't been updated anyone know why? Had this too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have probably misunderstood your letter. If the letter said you have been invited to "read geography" this does NOT mean they have offered you a place, it means you are invited to an open day for geography but they have not decided on whether to offer you a place or not yet. They will update track as soon as they have decided but that won't be until after 2nd of January once they re open.
Reply 465
Original post by Griyu
That's awesome! What are you choices?

Kings, Soton, QMUL and RHUL, what about you?
Reply 466
Original post by Inverse
Kings, Soton, QMUL and RHUL, what about you?

I've got 4 of my offers, just waiting on Cambridge.

Queen Mary,
RHUL,
Loughborough,
Southampton.

I think I'll have RHUL as my insurance.
Reply 467
Original post by Griyu
I've got 4 of my offers, just waiting on Cambridge.

Queen Mary,
RHUL,
Loughborough,
Southampton.

I think I'll have RHUL as my insurance.

Ah right. I'm glad I didn't apply for Camb. because I've heard that they teach CS in a very archaic, highly mathematical and less practical way than other institutions. They seem to be quite behind. RHUL will probably be my insurance too.

I'm still waiting on other offers since I sent my UCAS very recently, but I'm torn over Southampton or King's, I'd much rather live in London, and King's is ranked lower than it should be because of its research scores. (In an undergrad CS degree research isn't important, employment prospects are way more important)

I've talked to a student doing CS at Soton though and they advised me that Imperial is the best university for the course.
Reply 468
Original post by Inverse
Ah right. I'm glad I didn't apply for Camb. because I've heard that they teach CS in a very archaic, highly mathematical and less practical way than other institutions. They seem to be quite behind. RHUL will probably be my insurance too.

I'm still waiting on other offers since I sent my UCAS very recently, but I'm torn over Southampton or King's, I'd much rather live in London, and King's is ranked lower than it should be because of its research scores. (In an undergrad CS degree research isn't important, employment prospects are way more important)

I've talked to a student doing CS at Soton though and they advised me that Imperial is the best university for the course.

Imperial and Cambridge have a very similar course.
Both graduates with a good grade(2.1 or higher) are more likely to get employed. If you see the course spec it's exactly the same.

In Cambridge, you can be a little more free and pick modules, i.e you could do more math. In Imperial the options you are given are more CS based.

Either way, both universities have a strong background. You're likely to do well in any institute if you put your mind to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done! had the same thing with mine, it took a couple of weeks to be updated onto track, mine was for ABB for BA geography : )
Original post by mickeymouse890
well done! had the same thing with mine, it took a couple of weeks to be updated onto track, mine was for ABB for BA geography : )

That's good to hear may see you there in September then :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 471
Waiting for confirmation of BA Geography, got my letter on the 17th.

"Having considered your UCAS application form, we are delighted to offer you a place to read Geography. You will shortly be receiving confirmation of your offer from the College's registry."

Still waiting for UCAS to update :> ashfafhaif

Probably going to end up firming Holloway, as Lancaster offered me something out of this galaxy.
Original post by acedlol

"Having considered your UCAS application form, we are delighted to offer you a place to read Geography. You will shortly be receiving confirmation of your offer from the College's registry."

Probably going to end up firming Holloway, as Lancaster offered me something out of this galaxy.

Ah be ambitious!!! What did Lancaster offer you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 473
Ah be ambitious!!! What did Lancaster offer you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They want me to get an A (Maths) A (Psychology), not caring about my Geography grade. As I'm a gap year student intending to finish everything in January, I only have to take 1 exam per subject, and I'm aiming for a B in Maths and a B in Psychology, with the * in Geography.

Ill phone them up on results day in March and ask for an unconditional (I'll meet the requirements), if they say no, I'll just firm Holloway instead. Thats if Holloway don't offer something outta this world also :colondollar:
Original post by acedlol
They want me to get an A (Maths) A (Psychology), not caring about my Geography grade. As I'm a gap year student intending to finish everything in January, I only have to take 1 exam per subject, and I'm aiming for a B in Maths and a B in Psychology, with the * in Geography.

Ill phone them up on results day in March and ask for an unconditional (I'll meet the requirements), if they say no, I'll just firm Holloway instead. Thats if Holloway don't offer something outta this world also :colondollar:

Gosh A in maths sounds hard :tongue: hate how places don't consider geog grades! (in a geog applicant and even some of my courses couldn't care less about my geog grade!!) AAB sorta offer then? I'm sure you could pull it off!! Good plan to ring them in march though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 475
Original post by acedlol

Heya. This letter doesn't mean you have been offered a place at all! All it means is that you are invited to an open day. This letter has nothing to do with them offering you a place!
Original post by Megan.S
Heya. This letter doesn't mean you have been offered a place at all! All it means is that you are invited to an open day. This letter has nothing to do with them offering you a place!

How do you know? I got same letter saying they would love to offer me a place and that it'd be put up on track soon (it hasn't but then the letter came 2 days before Xmas) geography doesn't require an interview or anything so I don't see why this isn't taken as an offer? :/ I've been invited to open days for all my other options but had offers beforehand........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 477
Original post by Megan.S

For other unis like UCL, you would be correct. However I find it hard to believe that anyone would get rejected after receiving a confirmation letter with that language used. :<<<<<<<<<
Reply 478
How do you know? I got same letter saying they would love to offer me a place and that it'd be put up on track soon (it hasn't but then the letter came 2 days before Xmas) geography doesn't require an interview or anything so I don't see why this isn't taken as an offer? :/ I've been invited to open days for all my other options but had offers beforehand........

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I rang up and spoke to the admissions guy! He said its just an offer to look further into the course for geography but that it doesn't mean they will offer you a place and that that decision is entirety different! I received that letter a few weeks ago now but on the last day before Xmas I received an email from rh asking for a copy of my results as they were looking through applications that day. They sent me a letter to "read" geography before they had even looked at my full application! I'm not saying you won't get an offer because I bet you will, I'm sure your application was brilliant but I just didn't want anyone to be confused like I was! Good luck though, I'm applying for geography too :smile:
Original post by Megan.S
Because I rang up and spoke to the admissions guy! He said its just an offer to look further into the course for geography but that it doesn't mean they will offer you a place and that that decision is entirety different! I received that letter a few weeks ago now but on the last day before Xmas I received an email from rh asking for a copy of my results as they were looking through applications that day. They sent me a letter to "read" geography before they had even looked at my full application! I'm not saying you won't get an offer because I bet you will, I'm sure your application was brilliant but I just didn't want anyone to be confused like I was! Good luck though, I'm applying for geography too :smile:

Oh that's a bit confusing of them then to send out a letter like that.... Are you going for ba or bsc? I haven't heard anything more from them but as I say the letter came just before Christmas and the way it was written was that I had an offer.... Quite bad for them to send that out and still not to have read your application it's probably because of the "we'll aim to respond within four weeks" thing they say on the email when you first apply that they send all those letters out then! That's kinda disappointing all the same though! I was thinking of going to the open day thingy on the 6th march because I have a few others further afield in feb. you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending