timothyburr
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Ahhh yes, A-level physics was sooo serious. Our Teacher was crap, we asked her a question and she'd say "It's because of the left hand rule" and we were all like "What!?!??!?! Magnetic field lines came BEFORE the left hand rule! and it just so happens that the left hand rule works for mangetic field lines NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!"

She was an idiot... sigh still got an A though lol
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's what irritates me about Physics and other science A-Levels - If Maths was a compulsory subject to a high enough level, it would make life much easier for people with a decent ability in the subject - rather than just assuming the left hand rule works by luck and that it is the reason for manetic fields causing phenomen as they do, actually being able to teach that it is a vector product would increase people's understanding no end... anyhow - every thread in this forum seems to degenerate into a thread about Physics?!
tuppatopbrer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by //Mike)
That's what irritates me about Physics and other science A-Levels - If Maths was a compulsory subject to a high enough level, it would make life much easier for people with a decent ability in the subject - rather than just assuming the left hand rule works by luck and that it is the reason for manetic fields causing phenomen as they do, actually being able to teach that it is a vector product would increase people's understanding no end... anyhow - every thread in this forum seems to degenerate into a thread about Physics?!
Agreed about the vector product malarky, people in my class seriously thought that Fleming worked it out using his hands and fingers.
ashy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tuppatopbrer)
Agreed about the vector product malarky, people in my class seriously thought that Fleming worked it out using his hands and fingers.
people, people - fingers generate magnetic fields! It's the obvious answer! only left hand ones though, right hand fingers just are the exception :p:

There i've just made a whole new law of physics

"When the thumb and first 2 fingers of the left hand are pointed in each of the 3 dimensions, magnetic field lines are produced." - they'll be printing it in heinemann textbooks soon :p:
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, right hand fingers generate electricity.... All the World's energy crisis solved, just like that.
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
genius. who needs renewable fuels when you have right hand fingers.
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Indeed - sad don't you think that I have come back from the pub to chat about physics. Judging by reputation, I have the feeling that I'll fit in quite well at IC :-/.
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For some bizarre reason I think pubs and physics will be fairly common at IC, although for freshers' week i sincerely hope not!
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh I can just imagine it - revising in the pub. Oh dear. I think I am going to go to the pub as soon as I arrive to be honest, I'm sure someone will want to join me.
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol if there's a pub involved, i'm there. actually revising in a pub is a good idea, you won't learn anything but you might actually have fun doing it.
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, I'm not sure I can be bothered with all this 'Mingle' *******s - either the hall will have something organised or I will go to the pub.

For some reason I can't see the Librarian allowing us to smuggle bottles of vodka into the library when revising, so the pub it is.
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm I'd say the mingle stuff is worth doing, there'll be no better time to meet loads of new people, when everyone's in the same position - new and nervous lol - so I'll be going. If there's nout at the Union though, the pub definitely deserves a thought.

Hmm suppose it would be possible to smuggle vodka in those really small aeroplane style bottles and leave them in there. Put them behind books that no one will ever read like "mein kampf" or something :p:
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ahh, Mein Kampf - I remember we used to tease a German girl in my year about that when we were in year 9... So immature. We used to tease her about Anne Frank as well. Oh dear.

I didn't realise the library stocked humanities books - if they do, then as you say, hardly anyone will read them...

To be honest, I'm sure they aren't quite so authoritarian as to stop people drinking water, so it would be pretty easy to smuggle it in .
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol the diary of anne frank always amused me:

day 1: hid
day 2: hid
day 3: hid
day 4: hid

etc lol

hmm yeah I actually hadn't realised that, vodka looks like water (i'm smart enough to get into IC but not smart enough to realise that water looks the same as vodka!) Could start getting cheeky and take in vodka and coke in coke bottles, vodka and red bull etc; could get quite a bar going!

doesn't vodka mean "little water" in russian, vod-ka?
//Mike
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Perhaps you could run some sort of under cover tuck shop from within...
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's doable
cpflives
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy2005)
lol the diary of anne frank always amused me:

dude you cracked me up with that.

i remember hardly any of my physics a level - talking physics is gona b hard.....
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cpflives)
dude you cracked me up with that.

i remember hardly any of my physics a level - talking physics is gona b hard.....
lol feel free to rep me for it, I won't mind :p:

phys a level is the kind of thing you'll forget when you don't need it, but will come flooding back horribly when you do :eek:
tuppatopbrer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol Shameless promotion.
The Caretaker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy2005)

etc lol
you forgot day 3246526.7 (approx:p: ): got found. bummer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (9)
7.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.62%
No, but maybe I will look into it (28)
24.78%
No and I wouldn't consider it (64)
56.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise