People applying for Sheffield Hallam Uni 2014 Watch

LaurenQ95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BronwynMoorhouse)
Does anyone have any idea why The Forge has got two starting contract dates?! One the 13th and one on the 18th?
this could mean that it has an early arrival date, which would be the 13th, thats what i would have thought anyways
willy96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Phreaktwo)
Got an unconditional offer to study Hospitality Business Management. About 70% sure i'll be coming to SHU but ive had 4 other offers at different uni's so ive got other open days to attend before I make my final decision.

It's looking like Victoria Halls is the place to be alongside Trigon and the forge.
I'm doing the same course and I've applied to Victoria halls and Trigon too hahaha Sheffield definitely seems like the place for me
millsidd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone know how you can request to shar halls with a friend? trying to find out how...
lipslikemorphine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by millsidd)
Anyone know how you can request to share halls with a friend? trying to find out how...
I'm pretty sure you can't request to be in the same place as someone and guaranteed it. You can apply for the same building but i think thats as far as it goes.
helerrrn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lh193)
I applied for 4 different types of events courses that covered the arts events - Kent, BIMM, Bournemouth and sheffield, and I definitely thought sheffield was the best because it is still quite business based so you do get more experience whereas a lot of the courses I found were to specific, but then obviously it depends what you want to do. Tutors were really lovely on the open day and Sheffield itself is brilliant for arts events with a lot going on in the city. Having the option of a years placement is what did it for me. and the uni is very much about employability and they are teaching you for the job. Accommodation is pretty reasonable for what you get and there are some really nice options like Victoria Halls. Where have you put for your top choice?
It's most likely going to be Bournemouth, as I do business and management already so wanted something based solely on events (I hold an offer for Business and Events Management at UWE, but disliked the course content), mainly as even 'events' is quite broad for me (hold an offer for Music and Live Event Management which is eventually the field I am aiming for). But yeah, I met the course tutors at Bournemouth and was really impressed, also the years work placement is compulsory so it means everyone will be back for the final year at the same time! And the accommodation is the best I've seen, it's so lovely and most of it is owned by BU, it is a tad expensive though because it's in the south. (Victoria Halls don't have any accommodation in Bournemouth but I saw them in Cardiff). Also the BU course is accredited and Sheffields isnt, according to unistats I looked at but both uni's had good employment rates though, which is reassuring :-)
lh193
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by helerrrn)
It's most likely going to be Bournemouth, as I do business and management already so wanted something based solely on events (I hold an offer for Business and Events Management at UWE, but disliked the course content), mainly as even 'events' is quite broad for me (hold an offer for Music and Live Event Management which is eventually the field I am aiming for). But yeah, I met the course tutors at Bournemouth and was really impressed, also the years work placement is compulsory so it means everyone will be back for the final year at the same time! And the accommodation is the best I've seen, it's so lovely and most of it is owned by BU, it is a tad expensive though because it's in the south. (Victoria Halls don't have any accommodation in Bournemouth but I saw them in Cardiff). Also the BU course is accredited and Sheffields isnt, according to unistats I looked at but both uni's had good employment rates though, which is reassuring :-)
I looked at the arts uni in bournemouth and thought the course was too specific (but I did like the idea of creating your own promotional material as i'm keen on graphic design which was originally what I planned on doing at Uni). I'd like to go into music and arts festivals but want to keep my options open for weddings, etc because it's such a competitive industry and I'm sure I'll change what I want to do by the time I come out of Uni. I generally didn't like Bournemouth as a place though. I already live on the coast in Norfolk and it just reminded me too much of home. I want somewhere different and Sheffield is a different world compared to the little village I live in haha.
Phreaktwo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by willy96)
I'm doing the same course and I've applied to Victoria halls and Trigon too hahaha Sheffield definitely seems like the place for me
****ing sweet! I've confirmed my place now so I just need to get accommodation out the way! Did you go to the open day on Saturday?
helerrrn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lh193)
I looked at the arts uni in bournemouth and thought the course was too specific (but I did like the idea of creating your own promotional material as i'm keen on graphic design which was originally what I planned on doing at Uni). I'd like to go into music and arts festivals but want to keep my options open for weddings, etc because it's such a competitive industry and I'm sure I'll change what I want to do by the time I come out of Uni. I generally didn't like Bournemouth as a place though. I already live on the coast in Norfolk and it just reminded me too much of home. I want somewhere different and Sheffield is a different world compared to the little village I live in haha.
I totally get you, only I am the opposite haha! I've grown up in Birmingham, only about 3 miles from the dead centre of it, and being in the Midlands we are so far from any beach! Probably why I liked Bournemouth so much.
willy96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Phreaktwo)
****ing sweet! I've confirmed my place now so I just need to get accommodation out the way! Did you go to the open day on Saturday?
I wasn't able to but might go to the one in March still not 100% though. If I were you put Victoria Halls as your first accommodation it seems to be the favorite for most people and is really close to night clubs and city centre.
andyroob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by millsidd)
Anyone know how you can request to shar halls with a friend? trying to find out how...
(Original post by lipslikemorphine)
I'm pretty sure you can't request to be in the same place as someone and guaranteed it. You can apply for the same building but i think thats as far as it goes.
They don't guarantee it but if BOTH of you put in the notes when you apply that you want to be together then they'll try and accommodate you. you may want to avoid one of the oversubscribed halls in favour of somewhere less popular. I can say from experience that Pearl House and The Courtyard- although aren't as posh as Victoria Halls- are perfectly comfortable, cheap and really close to the uni.
GabbiFacc
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by laurenjr)
Ive put the forge as my first. Fell in love when i had my viewing
The photos make it look really nice but have been unable to view it as it wasn't open on the open days to view. When did you view it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mogzy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RyanT96)
Computer Science here hopefully. Interview today (5th), anyone else?
I'm doing Games Software Development haha, good luck for your interview
SlimSnaithy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, yeah I'm be starting in September Studying Accounting and Financial Management. What are you hoping to study?
BronwynMoorhouse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LaurenQ95)
this could mean that it has an early arrival date, which would be the 13th, thats what i would have thought anyways
Ah right thank you so much
lucy2901
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to study primary education at Sheffield Hallam! Gonna apply at the forge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gracee1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Confirmed my offer to do Criminology and Psychology at Shef Hallam, applied for Victoria Hall and The Forge!
WillWilson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone chosen The Forge for their accommodation?
lucy2901
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I'm going to be applying there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mogzy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone else applying for Victoria and/or Central Quay?
DocWats
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WillWilson)
Anyone chosen The Forge for their accommodation?
I did and made my second choice for Victoria Halls because a mate of mine recommended it, hope its decent anyway not had the chance to go to any open days cause' of work. Are you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 27 Oct '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads