The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy A2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by millie-rose
I talked about mainly political

That makes me feel a whole lot better :smile: Lol!
Original post by JuliaABlu
I was wondering about that too. Is it possible that it was knowledge & virtue and politics? Anyway that's what I thought it was. I answered it in two parts (although I linked them both together). I did knowledge & virtue for whether Plato's rulers would know what is right and politics on whether the rulers would do what is right. :smile:

Btw what did u include?

It could have been two, yes. I didn't think then. That sounds good :smile: A while ago now so I can't remember all of it lol. But with political how they weren't good rulers, and then like weakness of the will etc. Information seeps out after the exam.
Reply 462
So how did everyone do? I pulled an A* out of the bag somehow. :O I hope you all got what you wanted.
I managed 90% on PHIL3 (109/120) but my (and loads of my classmates) PHIL4 is in the toilet. (59/80). I desperately want that A*! So I'm getting it remarked. We did Plato for Phil4, any other Platonist's had a similar result?
Original post by Dayze
I managed 90% on PHIL3 (109/120) but my (and loads of my classmates) PHIL4 is in the toilet. (59/80). I desperately want that A*! So I'm getting it remarked. We did Plato for Phil4, any other Platonist's had a similar result?

Weird... I got an A in Plato (totally unexpected) and yet somehow a D in PHIL3. Thankfully the A was so high it equalled out to a B grade and I met my university offer... philosophy marking always seems to be so strange.

I'm debating getting the D remarked as I have B & B (from AS), A for Plato and then this random D? Not sure whether to bother though as it all equalled out to a B overall anyway.
Original post by i-love-coffee
Weird... I got an A in Plato (totally unexpected) and yet somehow a D in PHIL3. Thankfully the A was so high it equalled out to a B grade and I met my university offer... philosophy marking always seems to be so strange.

I'm debating getting the D remarked as I have B & B (from AS), A for Plato and then this random D? Not sure whether to bother though as it all equalled out to a B overall anyway.

I got really odd grades back from June too. I was on track for an A* based on class work and AS grades and then got a C and a B in the exam :s-smilie:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
I got really odd grades back from June too. I was on track for an A* based on class work and AS grades and then got a C and a B in the exam :s-smilie:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very strange.. Philosophy marking never seems to be consistent. Maybe go for a remark? Last June I was given a D grade (something completely unpredicted as I was on track for an A), had it re-marked and came back as a B. It's ridiculous really.
Very strange.. Philosophy marking never seems to be consistent. Maybe go for a remark? Last June I was given a D grade (something completely unpredicted as I was on track for an A), had it re-marked and came back as a B. It's ridiculous really.

Could not agree more. I'm lucky in that I don't have a Uni offer to meet, I'm applying next year after taking a year out to earn some dosh, otherwise I don't know how I would have coped. "Please X university, hold my place because the AQA philosophy marking is so completely off-the-wall unpredictable and marker subjective."
I was one UMS point off an A but my university gave me the benefit of the doubt. Handing in the remark form to College tomorrow. Fingers Crossed. So frustrating being so close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dayze
Could not agree more. I'm lucky in that I don't have a Uni offer to meet, I'm applying next year after taking a year out to earn some dosh, otherwise I don't know how I would have coped. "Please X university, hold my place because the AQA philosophy marking is so completely off-the-wall unpredictable and marker subjective."

Where you thinking of applying to :smile:? Haha.. completely marker subjective. And to think, people think Philosophy A Level is 'easy'...
Can't find an active AS thread, so I'll post my results in here :biggrin:

I got 100 ums on philosophy and 77 ums on ethics. Thought I would do better in ethics aswell, that's pissed me off because I did everything I could and I'm blaming my shortcomings on the ethics teacher (srs)

But I have a question... If 80% of the marks is 100 ums, is there any point going above 80% raw marks since you're maxing out at 100 ums.... Do they not account for anything?
Where you thinking of applying to :smile:? Haha.. completely marker subjective. And to think, people think Philosophy A Level is 'easy'...

I've been looking at Government at LSE, Politics at Sheffield, Politics at Durham and I'm not set on the final ones yet. It's interesting that people think Philosophy is an easy subject, they need to realize that we're not simply being marked on what we know, but how we present what we know. We have to build a logical, methodical and coherent argument from start to finish; it's like painting the perfect picture which has to depict potential truths and concepts about the universe we live in.

People should try getting their head around Searle's ontologically irreducible phenomenological mental properties that cannot simply be understood as physical or non-physical.
Original post by ravishingrick69
Can't find an active AS thread, so I'll post my results in here :biggrin:

I got 100 ums on philosophy and 77 ums on ethics. Thought I would do better in ethics aswell, that's pissed me off because I did everything I could and I'm blaming my shortcomings on the ethics teacher (srs)

But I have a question... If 80% of the marks is 100 ums, is there any point going above 80% raw marks since you're maxing out at 100 ums.... Do they not account for anything?

Indeed they do not :biggrin: It's necessary for philosophy though so that they can keep the raw mark grade boundaries low.
Original post by Dayze
Indeed they do not :biggrin: It's necessary for philosophy though so that they can keep the raw mark grade boundaries low.

Hehe
Reply 474
I was getting E's in class and in AS i got a B an E bringing my score up to C. This year i was getting U's in class but somehow managed to pull of a C in unit 3 and D in unit 4 (Nietzsche). Got a C overall and managed to laugh in my teachers face for the fact that i was predicted a U. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone. Yeah, people think philosophy is easy when It really isn't! And the marking is never consistent, it's silly how people mark it who haven't studied the subject. I got a D on unit 3, and an A on Plato. Happy about one not the other, but got into Uni, would like to have it remarked because when you put in effort and think you've done well and they've messes up the marking, grrr :P But yeah, happy overall. :smile:
Original post by Dayze

I got a D on unit 3, and an A on plato. So the opposite
Think there's something up with the marking this year, similar experience to you guys above.

As all through the year and two firm As last year, then a B in Plato which is fine but a low D in Unit 3. Totally unexpected and getting a remark, it just doesn't seem to make any sense especially when the exam felt like it went well.
Original post by zeroandfalling
Think there's something up with the marking this year, similar experience to you guys above.

As all through the year and two firm As last year, then a B in Plato which is fine but a low D in Unit 3. Totally unexpected and getting a remark, it just doesn't seem to make any sense especially when the exam felt like it went well.

Let us know how the re-mark went! I got similar to you! Two strong B's at AS, an A in Plato and then a D in Unit 3!
Has anyone bothered having any philosophy exams re-marked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending