Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amber206)
    Why is there no hydrogen bonding between molecules of ethoxyethane? (Jan 2009, MC Q8)

CH3CH2OCH2CH3
    Because no hydrogen atom is directly bonded to either (fluorine, oxygen or nitrogen).

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no hydrogen bonding between molecules of ethoxyethane? (Jan 2009, MC Q8)

CH3CH2OCH2CH3
    Think about the structure, for hydrogen bonding to occur, hydrogen has to be bonded to a more electronegative element I.e. fluorine oxygen or nitrogen. Here in to molecule, hydrogen is only bonded to carbons which have very similar electronegativities. Because of hydrogen not being directly bonded to the oxygen, no hydrogen bonds form hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by own)
    Think about the structure, for hydrogen bonding to occur, hydrogen has to be bonded to a more electronegative element I.e. fluorine oxygen or nitrogen. Here in to molecule, hydrogen is only bonded to carbons which have very similar electronegativities. Because of hydrogen not being directly bonded to the oxygen, no hydrogen bonds form hope that helps
    It can form hydrogen bonds when dissolved in solvents (due to lone pairs on the central oxygen) however it cannot form hydrogen bonds with itself

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has January 2009 CH02 to hand,
    the balancing of the half-equation for the
    reduction of dichromate ions?

The electron number is 6 - why is it not 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    It can form hydrogen bonds when dissolved in solvents (due to lone pairs on the central oxygen) however it cannot form hydrogen bonds with itself
    Yes. I'm not quite sure what your getting at? The question taking about between molecules of ethoxylethane, not solvents.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why I can't figure this out:The following reactions have been used in the chemical industry to make liquid and solid products, allowing any gaseous products to escape into the atmosphere:

A CH3OH(g) + CO(g) --> CH3COOH(l)

B CaCO3(s) --> CaO(s) + CO2(g)

C CH4(g) + 3Cl2(g) --> CHCl3(l) + 3HCl(g)

D CH2CH2(g) + Cl2(g) --> CH2ClCH2
    Cl(l)
    Which reaction causes the most immediate damage to the environment?

ReputationRep:
    Anyones got jan 2013 paper unit 2??????

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the June Unit 1 paper? And if so how did you find it and has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for it?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know this one?? :/

13 When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),
    the thiosulfate ions are oxidized to

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

all of these options are 2-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miri321)
    I don't even know why I can't figure this out:The following reactions have been used in the chemical industry to make liquid and solid products, allowing any gaseous products to escape into the atmosphere:

Cl(l)
    hmmmmm....i think it shud b C as HCL gas is produced which is a steamy fume so obviously the mst immediate effect cud b dat........though i;m little vague abt it...:erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    Did anyone do the June Unit 1 paper? And if so how did you find it and has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for it?
    I did that! it was a retake and i thought it was less harder than jan but still difficult... and ive been looking for the unofficial mark scheme as well... no luck so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lob.dub)
    Anyones got jan 2013 paper unit 2??????
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...212573&page=10

"Weaslemoose" posted two PDF's here.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Miri321)

Cl(l)
    Either B or C.

B produces CO2 but C produces HCl.

They clearly say 'most immediate effect' so I would go with HCl because it could acidify rivers and kill fish. CO2 on the other hand is a greenhouse gas and it takes time before it rises up into the atmosphere and traps heat energy emitted from the earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khurc003)
    I did that! it was a retake and i thought it was less harder than jan but still difficult... and ive been looking for the unofficial mark scheme as well... no luck so far
    Yeah, mine was a retake too as I got a C the first time round. I thought that it was easier than January too. But hopefully the grade boundaries will be at most about 63 for an A! (and that's pushing it...)

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has January 2009 CH02 to hand,
    the balancing of the half-equation for the
    reduction of dichromate ions?

The electron number is 6 - why is it not 12?
    Dichromate has 2 chromiums at +6 and you are reducing it to Cr3+ to go from from 6 to 3 it is a gain of 3 electrons. Because there are 2 Cr's in dichromate you have to reduce both of them. therefore you needing 6 in total which equates to 3 electrons for each of the chromium's. hope that makes sense I'm resiting and doing the later units really helps with the earlier stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    Yeah, mine was a retake too as I got a C the first time round. I thought that it was easier than January too. But hopefully the grade boundaries will be at most about 63 for an A! (and that's pushing it...)
    yh that is pushing it.... lol I managed to scrap a B but right now im sooooo worried about unit 2 though timing is a big issue

ReputationRep:
    Someone pleeeeasee help with this one

When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Either B or C.

B produces CO2 but C produces HCl.

They clearly say 'most immediate effect' so I would go with HCl because it could acidify rivers and kill fish. CO2 on the other hand is a greenhouse gas and it takes time before it rises up into the atmosphere and traps heat energy emitted from the earth.
    Insanely stupid question.... does the atmosphere count as the environment ?

I mean would you consider a factory and the atmosphere as being in the same environment.

Also D won't react with the ozone will it ? only if it had a fluorine atom attached to one of the carbons it would? If so, do we need to know why this is..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Can someone please explain to me why chlorofluorocarbons are no longer used as fire retardants and why we use hydrocarbons and why doesn't it break down in the stratosphere?
    Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Khurc003)
    Someone pleeeeasee help with this one

When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

It's D. It will always be D - it's just one of those 'factoids' you need to learn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.