Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abananapeel)
    can anyone describe transcription and translation in a 5 marks answer? I mess up and put too much detail whuch takes up too much time.

Also translation as a 3 marks answer.
    DNA strands unzip
    One strand (antisense) is used as template for transcription
    Free nucleotides
    Complementary base pairing
    Hydrogen bonding
    RNA polymerase/DNA helicase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abananapeel)
    can anyone describe transcription and translation in a 5 marks answer? I mess up and put too much detail whuch takes up too much time.

Also translation as a 3 marks answer.
    1. transcription in nucleus and translation in cyptoplasm
    2. Transcrtioption si where DNA unwinds and the antisense starnd acts as a template
    3. Complemtary base pairing occours as free mononucleotides line up by it, it is helped by RNA polymerase
    4. Trans;ation occours wiht ribosomes, there are 2 sites P site and the A site
    5. TRNa bcarries the amino aid and decodes MRNA with the an anticodon thats complementary to the first codon. the amino acids joined by peptide bonds
    6. this keeps going until you reach a stop codon, here the poluypeptide chain moves awa
    This is all helped by the enzyme petidyl transferase

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone sumerize the stages of sucession from when it goes from a pioneer species to a climax comunity?

ReputationRep:
    I feel so unprepared for this exam aswell i worked so hard in january for this unit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDictator)
    I feel so unprepared for this exam aswell i worked so hard in january for this unit
    I know the feeling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDictator)
    Yeah I feel the same way...

ReputationRep:
    Are Edexcel exams meant to be any harder/easier in June? Any difference in question type like more maths questions? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyfish)
    Are Edexcel exams meant to be any harder/easier in June? Any difference in question type like more maths questions? :P
    Thats an interesting question will be interesting to know the answers

ReputationRep:
    Got a large mug of coffee next to me. These next two days will be hell :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sravya)
    Can anyone sumerize the stages of sucession from when it goes from a pioneer species to a climax comunity?
    Sucession is a process by whicg communities of animals and plants colonise an area & over time are replaced bu other varied communities this occurs by:
    There are two types of sucession primary and secondary:
    1 primary starts from bare rock, where the first plants appear are known as pioneer species such as lichens, algae and mosses. They attach to the rock and penetate it helping it to break it into grains, and trap organic material.
    The inorganic rock and organic humus starts the formation of soil.
    The soul allows other species such as grass and ferns to establish root systems; the humus formed when they die and decay increases organic matter and soil depth, so more water, nutrients are reatined and become suitable for plant roots. Larger plants can grow and species diversity increases. A climax community is reached where biodiveristy and range of species are constant.
    Do you want me to go through secondary succession?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaChiffre)
    Sucession is a process by whicg communities of animals and plants colonise an area & over time are replaced bu other varied communities this occurs by:
    There are two types of sucession primary and secondary:
    1 primary starts from bare rock, where the first plants appear are known as pioneer species such as lichens, algae and mosses. They attach to the rock and penetate it helping it to break it into grains, and trap organic material.
    The inorganic rock and organic humus starts the formation of soil.
    The soul allows other species such as grass and ferns to establish root systems; the humus formed when they die and decay increases organic matter and soil depth, so more water, nutrients are reatined and become suitable for plant roots. Larger plants can grow and species diversity increases. A climax community is reached where biodiveristy and range of species are constant.
    Do you want me to go through secondary succession?
    Yes please and thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyfish)
    the retake exams are usually harder :/

ReputationRep:
    right im off to bed. Good night everyone and good luck i hope the exam is to everyone's tastes

ReputationRep:
    what is the difference between forensic entomology and the stage of succession??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sravya)
    Yes please and thanks
    No problem
    Secondary succession:
    The evolution of an ecosystem from existing soil that is clear of vegetation, due to fires, floods or human disturbances. Therefore soil is already formed and contains seeds, plants, nutrients etc. So there will be a higher number of plants already present. Therefore succesion occurs much faster and the rate ag which is reaches climax community depends on rainfall, temperature and soil fertility.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please summarise antibiotic resistance for me? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwhatman)
    can anyone please summarise antibiotic resistance for me? thanks
    Becomes resistant - passes it on. If mutation occurs (which it does usually in bacteria) the antibiotic won't work. Therefore new drugs are needed

Did that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HQazi)
    Becomes resistant - passes it on. If mutation occurs (which it does usually in bacteria) the antibiotic won't work. Therefore new drugs are needed

Did that help?
    hah i guess a bit , i thought there were more steps than that, but thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwhatman)
    hah i guess a bit , i thought there were more steps than that, but thanks anyways
    Sorry
    Goodluck for tomorrow, I'm gonna try and sleep now

ReputationRep:
    Goodluck to all tomorrow! Night!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.