Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's crazy how we've all been told probably 100 compliments for every 1 negative comment, but it's the negative comments that we remember and that haunt us! Stay positive guys!

I had Bell's palsy for roughly 3 months so school was horrific, people I thought were my friends tormenting me "haha only half your face works" etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told of by my parents for aiming higher than I have any hope of achieving because I didn't find one of my friends attractive. Apparently I need to look at myself before I claim anyone isn't attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I have been called names for as long as I can remember.

From around the age of five up to the present day, people say "Oh look at him he's so dark, I wouldn't be able to see him in the dark" and comments like "You're mum must be an ape because how can you be so dark skinned". This knocked my confidence a lot, I mean it makes you not want to be you.

In Year 7 and 8, I was bullied physically. I would be dragged, pushed, punched, kicked, and I've even had things stolen off of me. I don't know why they used to do it, I was just really, really quiet and I just didn't fight back. They would say things like "Oi, gay boy come here" or "Oi, monkey come here". Then they would say things about me and my family, probably would steal my drink. I used to have an Oasis bottle with me and they would steal it and drink it, then after that they might leave some left and throw that on me, or they would just steal the bottle, open the lid and throw it really high in the air.

When we had PE I would change and go and do the subject, however our school teachers were **** and people used to come into the changing rooms and take peoples things. I have had countless amounts of wallets, shirts and ties replaced. They would hide my things somewhere and make me search for it.

I have had to replace blazers, shirts and jumpers because they would sometimes push me to the ground and my clothes would rip after constant abuse. I would have stains on my clothes near enough everyday, but my parents asked me why are the clothes dirty, it's not muddy today? and I used to say I fell over.

And then to top it all off, I have been bullied about my mental health problem. Have been called nutter, psycho, killer, rapist, and I've even had people saying move away, I think you'll do something to me. It just shows how considerate people are.

I think this has happened because of me. I mean if I wasn't the way I am this would never happen. These bullies took everything I really wanted; academic success and a good life. I was academically excelling all my peers in Year 7/6, gradually the bullying took its toll and I just gave up on everything. I hated my school from day one, and, unfortunately, my childhood has been horrible.

I've been so close to picking up the bottle. The only thing that is stopping me from doing so, is the fact that my uncles and my dad were alcoholics and that I know what will happen if I just constantly drink.

ReputationRep:
    I am a male and I have long hair, mostly nothing serious, like a joke comment or something, if someone says something too negative then I just have to fix em up, sometimes it gets messy.

ReputationRep:
    yes i have, because i'm asian (even though i don't have slit eyes), during grade school when i was super fat and ugly, and during junior high. people said that im ugly and black (an indonesian term for saying that someone is tanned - tanned skin is generally unfavorable here)

oh well. :beard: but i dont get insulted about my looks anymore since high school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelybrummie)
    I have been called names for as long as I can remember.

From around the age of five up to the present day, people say "Oh look at him he's so dark, I wouldn't be able to see him in the dark" and comments like "You're mum must be an ape because how can you be so dark skinned". This knocked my confidence a lot, I mean it makes you not want to be you.

In Year 7 and 8, I was bullied physically. I would be dragged, pushed, punched, kicked, and I've even had things stolen off of me. I don't know why they used to do it, I was just really, really quiet and I just didn't fight back. They would say things like "Oi, gay boy come here" or "Oi, monkey come here". Then they would say things about me and my family, probably would steal my drink. I used to have an Oasis bottle with me and they would steal it and drink it, then after that they might leave some left and throw that on me, or they would just steal the bottle, open the lid and throw it really high in the air.

When we had PE I would change and go and do the subject, however our school teachers were **** and people used to come into the changing rooms and take peoples things. I have had countless amounts of wallets, shirts and ties replaced. They would hide my things somewhere and make me search for it.

I have had to replace blazers, shirts and jumpers because they would sometimes push me to the ground and my clothes would rip after constant abuse. I would have stains on my clothes near enough everyday, but my parents asked me why are the clothes dirty, it's not muddy today? and I used to say I fell over.

And then to top it all off, I have been bullied about my mental health problem. Have been called nutter, psycho, killer, rapist, and I've even had people saying move away, I think you'll do something to me. It just shows how considerate people are.

I think this has happened because of me. I mean if I wasn't the way I am this would never happen. These bullies took everything I really wanted; academic success and a good life. I was academically excelling all my peers in Year 7/6, gradually the bullying took its toll and I just gave up on everything. I hated my school from day one, and, unfortunately, my childhood has been horrible.

I've been so close to picking up the bottle. The only thing that is stopping me from doing so, is the fact that my uncles and my dad were alcoholics and that I know what will happen if I just constantly drink.
    Wow. Even my bullying doesn't live up to that. I don't know how anyone can cope with that. Some people especially children can be filled with such hate and abusive comments, its unbelievable. So sad to hear. Please don't give up because you would be letting them win. I'm sure your beautiful inside & outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peju)
    Wow. Even my bullying doesn't live up to that. I don't know how anyone can cope with that. Some people especially children can be filled with such hate and abusive comments, its unbelievable. So sad to hear. Please don't give up because you would be letting them win. I'm sure your beautiful inside & outside.
    I really didn't know, and still don't know how I coped with it. I guess one big thing that helped me was seclusion, then again that made it worse.

I think the bullying is one big reason for why I have got my mental health problems, either that or it has severely aggravated it.

The teachers weren't helpful at all, I have been beaten up a few times at school. Once was really bad, a 5/6 boys grabbed and repetitively punched me, kicked me, head butted me until my whole face was red with blood. A few of my teeth were broken too, my teeth were that bad that I couldn't eat soft foods. I could only have soup. The teachers made up a lie that they would give them rubbish grades, which is impossible. I was only in Year 7, the boys who done this were in Year 11. I'm pretty sure what those boys did to me

Nearly all of the bullying was from people that you know weren't going to do anything with their lives. They pretty much ruined my whole school life, I really hated that school and I never wanted to stay there. I remember telling my mum for a good 2 or 3 years to take me out of that school.

It's like for the whole of my life I've never, ever had someone say what you said. It's like I'm not wanted, and have never been wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had anyone try to genuinely insult me. I've never been called ugly, or anything like that. At least not to my face, who knows what's gone on behind my back

I have, however, had people try to make jokes with me about being skinny. You know, that whole "you need to get some meat on your bones!" or "eat something!" business. I know they were never trying to make me feel bad, but it still always irritated me because I can't do anything about it.

Edit: Just gone through this thread, it's truly disgusting how nasty some people can be. To everyone who's being bullied, just be thankful that no matter what they say/do to you, you can never be as awful as they are. You will always have the higher ground.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called ugly, and that I have a big nose but it has never bothered me.

I'm just sickened reading some of the bullying other people have got. It's disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie97)
    Used to get called/abused regularly for being ginger in the first years of high school but now I just get abuse from passing cars such as "ginger sl*g", which doesn't bother me much anymore. It's not like I'm particularly ugly apart from a bit of a big nose, it's literally just because I'm ginger.
    I've also over heard some people talking about me once last year in school in the toilets and one of them said "she's really nice" and the other girl replied with "yeah but she's ginger" and they both laughed their heads off. That shook me up a but for a while but I think people have grown out of the whole ginger problem now that I'm 16... hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm ginger I personally never had any trouble concerning my hair, but I know a few other ginger kids that were in my year did. Don't worry about it, especially as a girl, your hair is going to get you a lot of attention in the future

ReputationRep:
    Got told I "looked like a man" by a jealous ex!! haha :L I didnt take it to heart because I know she has a few issues of her own.

Also I have got quite a big nose but i dont really care, I like the rest of my body just fine, even if it probably isnt everyones cup of tea :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People have tried to insult me, people have complimented me, take neither to heart. Learn to take the piss out of yourself, then when anybody else tries to just say to them is that really the best you can do, then go on to slaughter their stupidity with verbal venom.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think everybody has at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelybrummie)
    if you're the person in your avatar, how could they call you ugly? you look quite normal.

ReputationRep:
    I got called ugly by some pessimistic bint on here, and I've been called ugly so many times IRL I could e rich if I had a penny each time. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar to realise that everyone gets insulted, has faults and that they are often exaggerated words.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic. Ok so maybe this wasnt an insult as it was an anonymous activity but made me feel insulted. Its kind of worse than an insult as I couldnt put it down to nastiness/being victimised lol.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.
    Not really I am my own worst critic I hate how I look lol I insult myself on a regular basis then cry LOL

ReputationRep:
    Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar to realise that everyone gets insulted, has faults and that they are often exaggerated words.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic. Ok so maybe this wasnt an insult as it was an anonymous activity but made me feel insulted. Its kind of worse than an insult as I couldnt put it down to nastiness/being victimised lol.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.
    Which college project was that? That's a flippin terrible idea and the teacher should have been called out on it.

The 30 year old just said that because his ego was hurt.

A guy asked me out once and then called me specky four eyes when I said no. I hadn't heard that since I was about 10.

ReputationRep:
    At secondary school mainly year 9 to 11 I was called ugly, fat a lot. Even one time I was called a gypsy because of the colour of my eyes. This has really hurt my confidence and I'm at uni now, I've never had a boyfriend so I believe all these things are true what bullies have said about me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's a story:

I was called gummy by a guy.

I got my gums cut.

Then dated the guy like a year later. :lol:

I think everyone has been insulted at some point about their looks. I've been told that I look like a horse and that my forehead is big. Someone will always have something bad to say.

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I was a kid I broke my nose and now I have a very noticeably crooked nose and when I was in year 9 (after I got glasses) someone told me that I looked better with my glasses on because it covered up my nose and then he proceeded to call me names and throw stuff at me.

My sister also made fun of my nose all the time when I was a kid and now when people point it out I feel really ugly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.