Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Probably to do with FFP, but the offer was on the table. Even Wenger has confirmed that he turned it down.
    Its a nice story that he turned down more money because "the little boy inside him said to go to United" and all that but there is absolutely nothing to support it (Wenger if he actually said that which I never saw was probably trying to mug off City/appease Arsenal fans by making RVP seem more noble either way I don't really care what he has to say about it hes always trying to maniuplate and mislead the media) and Mancini's antics implie City never bid so at best City felt out his agent and he said no which is different to saying no when money is actually on the table

ReputationRep:
    The club has lodged an appeal against Olivier Giroud's red card against Fulham on Saturday - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...oud-s-red-card

I'd rather have the appeal turned down. I'd like to see either Poldi or Theo leading the line.

Would anyone else like to AOC play through the middle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Team I'd like to see on Saturday (with Giroud still suspended):

Chesney (had a good game on Saturday)

Sagna Mert Kosc Monreal

Arteta Jack/Ramsey

AOC

Walcott Poldi Santi

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oxtail chamberlin is a solid player.

Bakery Sandwhich is a good player too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    The club has lodged an appeal against Olivier Giroud's red card against Fulham on Saturday - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...oud-s-red-card

I'd rather have the appeal turned down. I'd like to see either Poldi or Theo leading the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, completely agree. I know Giroud tries hard, and he comes across as a decent bloke, but I just do not rate him. At the end of the day, a guy of his size should at least offer some physicality and be bullying centre backs but he doesn't even do that. Want to see Poldi given a go through the middle. He's a lethal finisher, and that's what we need. He's more suited to a counter attacking game, and with our defence looking more solid recently, I think we can afford to sit back (a little, not too much) and then try and break and score on the counter vs United.

ReputationRep:
    As bad as Giroud is up front, I'd rather have him than Poldi. Seriously why does everyone think Poldi wil come good in th centre. He's just gonna go more into his microcosm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    As bad as Giroud is up front, I'd rather have him than Poldi. Seriously why does everyone think Poldi wil come good in th centre. He's just gonna go more into his microcosm.
    I don't Giroud is that bad tbh. C'mon, this is his first season, and he has 17 goals. That's pretty impressive. But I feel that Poldi deserves a chance up front. We're lacking a lethal finisher, and if given the opportunity, I'm sure Poldi won't disappoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Giroud has missed 1 or two sitters in every game he has started.
    Giroud is good on defensive corners and great at heading it out.
    I want the ox to start, giroud to start and podolski left to start.
    Cazorla Ramsey and rosicky midfield
    Sagna kos, mert, gibbs usual places,
    either keeper is fine.

Wilshere gervinho and walcott subbed if we're losing.
    Walcott is beyond reason. He baffles me how he plays, one team can make him look like a headless chicken and others make him look LETHAL. It would be nice to see him ruin evra tho if he starts. Perhaps if we put gervinho on the right and podolski left to start. Then Ox and walcott, they seem to do well when they come on as substitutes because they add so much pace into our attack especially against tired teams.

ReputationRep:
    I don't Giroud is that bad tbh. C'mon, this is his first season, and he has 17 goals. That's pretty impressive. But I feel that Poldi deserves a chance up front. We're lacking a lethal finisher, and if given the opportunity, I'm sure Poldi won't disappoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then you've got to change your formation. Correct me if I'm wrong but when you play 4-3-3, your striker should be a target man who can win alot of the aerial changes, use his strength well and finish. Now against Everton who are a big and physical side I think Giroud won most if not nearly all the aerial battles and in recent games, has used his strength well and tbh I don't think we should criticise his finishing either since he hasn't really had any clear cut chances and let's not forget his 17 goals this season. If you put Podolski (who has really poor positioning) upfront you will have pretty much three small twigs in your attack.

Giroud ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone saying they've seen Giroud has used his strength well... I haven't seen it. I see him fall over a lot. Haven't seen him physically bully a single centre half this season. Yes he may win a few knock on headers, and its important he does that, but that's not the same as physically imposing himself, in the way somone like Fellaini or Drogba does. He misses a lot of sitters. As a lone striker he has to finish the chances he gets. He's got 17 goals, all credit to him, but in a team like ours, you're always going to get opportunities, and he misses far too many. If you look at the goals he's scored, a lot of them were scored when we were already in a winning position. Look at it this way, he has scored 17% of our league goals, despite us having the second most number of goals in the whole PL, and he's played as a lone striker for 33/34 of those games. Plus, he's gone missing in far too many of the big matches for me. Terrible misses both home and away vs Chelski come to mind. The only thing he can be is a squad player, never a starting striker. I really want him to do well, don't get me wrong. He comes as someone giving it his all and he's got a great chant, but I just do not think he's anywhere near good enough.

All those criticising Podolski's ability to be CF are basing it on one (admittedly very poor) game at the beginning of the season. Giroud has had as many, if not more, useless games as good ones at centre forward, so I really don't see why Podolski isn't afforded the same leeway. He's got a bit of directness and a ridiculous left foot. If we work with that end in mind, it could be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Everyone saying they've seen Giroud has used his strength well... I haven't seen it. I see him fall over a lot. Haven't seen him physically bully a single centre half this season. Yes he may win a few knock on headers, and its important he does that, but that's not the same as physically imposing himself, in the way somone like Fellaini or Drogba does. He misses a lot of sitters. As a lone striker he has to finish the chances he gets. He's got 17 goals, all credit to him, but in a team like ours, you're always going to get opportunities, and he misses far too many. If you look at the goals he's scored, a lot of them were scored when we were already in a winning position. Look at it this way, he has scored 17% of our league goals, despite us having the second most number of goals in the whole PL, and he's played as a lone striker for 33/34 of those games. Plus, he's gone missing in far too many of the big matches for me. Terrible misses both home and away vs Chelski come to mind. The only thing he can be is a squad player, never a starting striker. I really want him to do well, don't get me wrong. He comes as someone giving it his all and he's got a great chant, but I just do not think he's anywhere near good enough.

All those criticising Podolski's ability to be CF are basing it on one (admittedly very poor) game at the beginning of the season. Giroud has had as many, if not more, useless games as good ones at centre forward, so I really don't see why Podolski isn't afforded the same leeway. He's got a bit of directness and a ridiculous left foot. If we work with that end in mind, it could be great.
    Agree people think hes got ariel power and strength because hes quite big but hes a ponce hes moaned at the ref and done that hand flick more than hes won headers or dominated defenders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Agree people think hes got ariel power and strength because hes quite big but hes a ponce hes moaned at the ref and done that hand flick more than hes won headers or dominated defenders
    Yeh didn't want to say it because a lot of people on this thread evidently rate him but I think he's a massive wuss. Always does that stupid hands on his head thing while looking mildly constipated as he blasts yet another shot over the bar. He's far too soft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    He's too nice when he plays, I never see that aggression in his play

ReputationRep:
    Giroud would be a monster if he knew how to use his size and strength. His lack of aggression is quite annoying. The view that he's not good enough technically is BS, look at what Drogba did at Chelsea, aggression and willpower means so much, Giroud doesn't have it.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No thanks. Chamberlain is a good player and I want him to start against Utd (on the right if Rosicky is AM or on the left if Cazorla plays AM) but I don't wan't him to play centrally. When you say 'middle' I assume you mean at the tip of the midfield trio and imo he isn't ready for that responsibility. The AM/playmaker in our system is the fulcrum of our attack and Oxlade doesn't (currently) possess the passing ability to play that position. He is better when he is on the wing so he can be direct, running at defenders and so creating space for other players.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh didn't want to say it because a lot of people on this thread evidently rate him but I think he's a massive wuss. Always does that stupid hands on his head thing while looking mildly constipated as he blasts yet another shot over the bar. He's far too soft.
    I think people like the idea of him and he looks the part but he don't play it what so ever, also a lot of what he does off the ball moaning at the ref etc won't be televised so unless you are there you will miss it

To be fair to him, he did the physical act quite well against Fulham, I thought (and in a couple of other games this season - Stoke away springs to mind). I do agree, though, that he hasn't done it consistently or well enough over the course of the season, and in that respect he's disappointed (I used to have the same criticism of Adebayor and Bendtner). Even more than his underused physicality, though, I tend to get a bit frustrated by Giroud's first touch: I think he has very good movement off the ball, so it's often very annoying to see good work go to waste because of a poor first touch and a bit of hesitancy on the ball. I would tend to agree that he'd be better as a backup player, and I maintain that that was what he was brought in to be (or that's what he seemed to think anyway).

With all due respect, I reckon a lot of people had seen Podolski play before he joined Arsenal. :p: I do like the qualities Podolski puts on the plate and I was excited when he joined, but I do struggle to see him being really effective up front for us; both due to the way we're set up (particularly our midfield; people have commented on the fracture between our midfield and out attack, in terms of the former being geared towards a possessive game and the latter to a more counter-attacking style - putting Podolski up front would serve to accentuate that discrepancy, I think) and in terms of how other teams tend to set up against us (you have to remember that Koln were a side stuck in relegation battles in the couple of seasons Poldi was there, so he'd generally have had much more space on the counter against more adventurous opposition). Plus, there's the issue of match-fitness, which Podolski doesn't exactly have in abundance at the moment. I don't think he's a better player, but I'd prefer to see Walcott up front if Giroud is suspended, purely because he's in better shape currently (Podolski hasn't had a lot of game-time recently and he's returning from an injury).

ReputationRep:
    RVP

ReputationRep:
    Van persie scores in like 90 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really make a difference for us in terms of the difficulty of our match if man u win today.. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/203664.html

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.