Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Cos it's basically free money. The SLC won't ever get it back anyway, as I am working abroad. MUGZ!
    Pretty sure they still take it if you're abroad, they have some working abroad form you have to fill in if you go for more than 3 months!

ReputationRep:
    £50 a week ):

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out how much you'll be spending a week? Does this include predicting when we'll be going out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forumfinder)
    How do you work out how much you'll be spending a week? Does this include predicting when we'll be going out?
    Do this

( The total you'll be getting from your grants + savings etc. ) - the cost of your halls then whatever you get you then divide by 40 (40 academic weeks) and that's your budget per week, say you have £70 you're in a good spot food per week I reckon would cost around £30-40 not too sure but the rest is spending! but be wise xd! I sadly have £50 to spend on food so I reckon I'll get £10-20 to spend on what a like a week

ReputationRep:
    Staying in catered so I don't really need to worry about food, i'm lucky my parents are forking out for accommodation and are going to give me £400 a month though with the remainder from each month saved for deposits next year etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceey_bear)
    the costs are ridiculous! for some reason there's an image that if you have money your life runs smoothly. when really everyone faces the same issues!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know exactly! I'm very fortunate to have my parents to pay £5700 on my accommodation and give me £300 a month ++ for living even if they have a lot on their plate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    However much my parents decide to give me. My accommodation is £6000+ and I get the minimum loan and no grant. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saberahmed786)
    after rent it will be £110 a week...god, it's gonna be tough living off pot noodles and beans on toast
    With 110pw I don't think you have to worry about pot noodles and beans!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im interested in how people will manage to live on less than 10 quid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmatovey)
    How much money will you be living off when you go to uni? (Or how much do you live off if you're already there)
    I got £100 for food, travel, going out bits and pieces. but not accommodation . Im in halls self catering.
    trying to get upto £120 pw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    That is a ridiculous amount for accommodation, unless its catered I guess. If you don't have the money, find one thing cheaper - and most accommodation is cheaper!
    It is catered. And en suite. I wanted the shared facilities hall, but it is only £10 less per week. That is the only other hall of residence on my campus and that is catered too. I asked to go in there, but they put everyone on my course in the same halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxKiaraxx)
    However much my parents decide to give me. My accommodation is £6000+ and I get the minimum loan and no grant. :/
    ;o 6000 + !? you don't happen to be studying in london xd? or it could be en suite/catered halls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Im interested in how people will manage to live on less than 10 quid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you actually can live off a £10 a week it's hard but possible here's how I'm guessing

For breakfast weetabix with milk that should cost around £3 for the week of breakfast, for lunch butter pasta which would cost like £2 and then for dinner you'll have £5 to spend on vegetables etc. to steam cook some food, and if you have a bit grab a few nuts etc. and you would be living for £10 AND eating pretty healthy like so : 3 !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpforjoy)
    I got £100 for food, travel, going out bits and pieces. but not accommodation . Im in halls self catering.
    trying to get upto £120 pw
    £100 is PLENTY of money ^^ you're going to enjoy the year nicely, and not have to worry 'too' much, say you can spend £50 on food easily and have £50 just for nights out, you're sorted mate!

ReputationRep:
    -£20 so far considering I need an extra £1200 to cover my accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol_Fish)
    ;o 6000 + !? you don't happen to be studying in london xd? or it could be en suite/catered halls!
    Yep, I'll be in London. It's en-suite but self catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxKiaraxx)
    Yep, I'll be in London. It's en-suite but self catered.
    That's very pricy! XD I seem to be ripped of manchester en suite self catered for 5500 ): but can't wait ! Still have so much to pack and I'm moving in 2 days xd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    This has to be Warwick or Oxbridge?
    Edinburgh, I'm an English applicant.

ReputationRep:
    excluding rent about £150 a week from my part time job & a pension thing i get + savings. Not taken any loans out as i don't think i need it & i don't want to get myself into debt unless i have to!

ReputationRep:
    After rent, about £90 per week. I'll be keeping to a budget of £50 per week though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.