ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    We have to pay for fonts, so it can be a bit of a bloody nightmare, as stuff always is when there's money involved. It's something we might be able to sort out though. Maybe.
    What do you mean by this? Isn't there an option to change the font of the forum built into the basic forum software? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Private messages annoy me now. Before I could send a message with something like:

Title: Hi

Text text text

I'd get a reply, with the following

Text text text
    Text text text

And now it's more like

Text

And the reply is more like

Title: RE: Hi

Text
    Text

This then continues to say RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Hi

Which is pretty damn annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    We have to pay for fonts, so it can be a bit of a bloody nightmare, as stuff always is when there's money involved. It's something we might be able to sort out though. Maybe.
    Do you have to pay for a licence to use fonts if you don't specify a font? (So the browser decides)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Fonts are protected by intellectual property law. The 'good' fonts need a license to be used for profit.
    Oh, okay - I'm looking at it from the wrong angle. I didn't realise that was an issue. Thanks.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Do you have to pay for a licence to use fonts if you don't specify a font? (So the browser decides)
    We have to pay if we serve the font ourselves (i.e. it's not one installed on your PC). Which if you want any styled font, is more or less a necessity. Still, fonts are fairly cheap compared to most of the costs of running a site like this. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    We have to pay if we serve the font ourselves (i.e. it's not one installed on your PC). Which if you want any styled font, is more or less a necessity. Still, fonts are fairly cheap compared to most of the costs of running a site like this. :yep:
    Arial and Verdana *are* fonts that come with the browser/OS though, are they not?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Arial and Verdana *are* fonts that come with the browser/OS though, are they not?
    Yes, but the font we use for the thread titles is not Arial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Yes, but the font we use for the thread titles is not Arial.
    Ah, that would explain it then - thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    So.....you paid for a font that doesn't distinguish between i's and l's. Seriously? Did you get 3 quotes and pick the cheapest or something?

I have another question: Do you have to pay for any background colour other than white? Is that why we still have the expanse of white?

Edit: I just noticed that i's look like i's again. :awesome: However the t's look funny. I'm not sure if they always looked that squished or if they changed at the same time the i's came back. Fire the font committee - they're useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piko_Piko)
    I's are still L's in the thread titles. How long would it take to use a different font for those anyway? Is there a committee that decides the new font? Do they only meet by the light of a blue moon? Can they be bribed to speed up the process?
    This is driving me round the twist. (Or, you know, twlst.) It's not like it's even an obscure letter to appear in thread titles, given that most users of the site are at or applying to Unlverslty...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Piko_Piko)
    So.....you paid for a font that doesn't distinguish between i's and l's. Seriously? Did you get 3 quotes and pick the cheapest or something?

I have another question: Do you have to pay for any background colour other than white? Is that why we still have the expanse of white?

Edit: I just noticed that i's look like i's again. :awesome: However the t's look funny. I'm not sure if they always looked that squished or if they changed at the same time the i's came back. Fire the font committee - they're useless.
    We actually bought the font and started using it for other stuff first, then discovered later that the web font has that glitch at certain sizes. We may end up using a slight variation of the font, or it could be we'll adjust the text sizes so the glitch doesn't appear. It's not an unsalvageable issue.

ReputationRep:
    They have made the light green gems brighter now haha
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    They have made the light green gems brighter now haha
    Yeah, that was always the intention. We changed the colour part way through development but didn't get a chance to implement the change before first launch, but we have done now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Yeah, that was always the intention. We changed the colour part way through development but didn't get a chance to implement the change before first launch, but we have done now.
    Oh that's good.

Also the issue with every post looking like it's been negged, has that been sorted too? Cause I can't tell just by looking if they sorted it as I became used to it after a few days.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Oh that's good.

Also the issue with every post looking like it's been negged, has that been sorted too? Cause I can't tell just by looking if they sorted it as I became used to it after a few days.
    Yeah, that other issues was sorted last week when we adjusted the colours on the thumbs for unrated posts.

ReputationRep:
    This new layout... what... why.... I don't understand.

I go to the home page, and there is no option to log in. I find a way to login (I got a random popup after like 10 pages asking if I wanted to) and now I cant access my user profile- wheres the button gone!

I am logged in but cant find any way to access my user settings (sig/past posts/messages etc). I don't know when this layout changed, but its totally unintuitive. I shall just wander off whilst banging my head off the wall now.

Aha! I can make a post and after that click my name to access my profile, success!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Alexgadgetman)
    This new layout... what... why.... I don't understand.

I go to the home page, and there is no option to log in. I find a way to login (I got a random popup after like 10 pages asking if I wanted to) and now I cant access my user profile- wheres the button gone!

I am logged in but cant find any way to access my user settings (sig/past posts/messages etc). I don't know when this layout changed, but its totally unintuitive. I shall just wander off whilst banging my head off the wall now.

Aha! I can make a post and after that click my name to access my profile, success!
    something doesn't quite sound right here as the links should all be there in the green bar at the very top of the site or in drop downs from it, as they have been for many months.

Could you try clearing the cache on your browser to see if that fixes things, or if not, post up a screen shot of the top of the page and say which browser you're using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    something doesn't quite sound right here as the links should all be there in the green bar at the very top of the site or in drop downs from it, as they have been for many months.

Could you try clearing the cache on your browser to see if that fixes things, or if not, post up a screen shot of the top of the page and say which browser you're using.
    Ah they appeared after a clear everything on the browser, I am not sure why they weren't there at the start... at least those familiar buttons have now returned to me

ReputationRep:
    I can finally click spoiler buttons on my phone :party: huzzah!

Thanks to whomever is responsible! :grin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I go to the TSR homepage the list of threads is now automatically on 'Most Popular' instead of 'Latest Discussions' is this a problem on my end or is it an update?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.