Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    In terms of our references - I've been aware for a while that we now need two, one being academic, the other personal. I will get the academic one from uni, obviously, but don't know about the personal one. I've been on the UCAS website, and it just says it should be someone from work OR someone who can comment on how you would be suited to teaching. So who could you ask if you didn't have a job? I would assume you couldn't ask friends or family, so I don't know?

I do have a job, but I really don't want to ask my boss. She's really unreliable with things, and she will most likely shout at me for asking her to do it, because that's what she's like. She's also not very good with computers which makes me worry she wouldn't be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was planning on using a teacher at the school I volunteer at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballroombabe)
    Hi everyone! I'll be applying for my PGCE in secondary History for the 2014 cycle I'm thinking of apply to Reading and Exeter and maybe York as well Anyone else doing the same?
    Yes but applying for Cardiff and maybe Swansea Met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    People tend to use someone from work experience.
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    I was planning on using a teacher at the school I volunteer at.
    Yeah I was considering that until it said that it has to be the headteacher if you are getting someone for your work experience. I hadn't said a word to the headteacher at any of my schools so I find it a bit strange! Also, the main place I did my work exp at has burnt down recently. I feel kinda bad contacting the head about a reference at a time like this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, am I right to think that the application process has changed from being on GTTR to being on the UCAS site this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandardUsername)
    Hey guys, am I right to think that the application process has changed from being on GTTR to being on the UCAS site this time?
    Yep, it is changing, hopefully will update their page later this month!

As for references, Head teacher makes sense, because your placement should technically be based upon their go ahead. If you can't do this, perhaps find a professional family friend, or go for your manager...

I finally got through to the head of my nearest high school and I'm meeting him on Friday to discuss observing and volunteering, which I'm quite excited
    about. From what I have heard, they are quite short staffed, and I got the impression on the phone that the head was keen to take me up on my offer!

ReputationRep:
    Stop talking about interviews, making me far too nervous! Wish i had one for my undergrad now!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was considering that until it said that it has to be the headteacher if you are getting someone for your work experience. I hadn't said a word to the headteacher at any of my schools so I find it a bit strange! Also, the main place I did my work exp at has burnt down recently. I feel kinda bad contacting the head about a reference at a time like this.
    Although it would be the head it might be more appropriate for a teacher who knows you to actually fill in the reference. For example, the head of my unis education department sends out all references, but the person who actually writes them is the tutor who knows you. So you could ask the teacher to write you a reference and say it will have to come through the head, then just ask the head of it's ok to put her as a reference, and that the teacher has already agreed to write said reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Although it would be the head it might be more appropriate for a teacher who knows you to actually fill in the reference. For example, the head of my unis education department sends out all references, but the person who actually writes them is the tutor who knows you. So you could ask the teacher to write you a reference and say it will have to come through the head, then just ask the head of it's ok to put her as a reference, and that the teacher has already agreed to write said reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I see what you mean. Still it's a bit awkward really because I have been at two schools, and like I said I don't want to bother one at the moment, and the other I only went to for two days and I don't think she got to know me very well. I guess I will end up asking my boss, but oh well. Doesn't matter. I might ask the place I was at for two days, or do you think that is sort of asking too much?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it has to be a headteacher? If it does then I'm screwed for my second reference as I don't have anyone else who would do it (if it can't be the teacher I work for)

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it has to be a headteacher? If it does then I'm screwed for my second reference as I don't have anyone else who would do it (if it can't be the teacher I work for)
    I'm just going off what I read on here.

"If either reference comes from a school in which the applicant has worked or done observation it should come from the Headteacher." :dontknow:

Like someone above has said, you might be best asking the teacher to write it but telling the teacher it needs to go through the head. I may end up doing that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going off what I read on here.

"If either reference comes from a school in which the applicant has worked or done observation it should come from the Headteacher." :dontknow:

Like someone above has said, you might be best asking the teacher to write it but telling the teacher it needs to go through the head. I may end up doing that.
    I must have skimmed over that bit! I can't imagine many headteachers actually writing references!

I think your idea could work though. I'll have to check when I go back!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you mean. Still it's a bit awkward really because I have been at two schools, and like I said I don't want to bother one at the moment, and the other I only went to for two days and I don't think she got to know me very well. I guess I will end up asking my boss, but oh well. Doesn't matter. I might ask the place I was at for two days, or do you think that is sort of asking too much?
    I'd probably go for the other school tbh. I can completely understand you feel bad asking when they've just had such an awful incident. But I'm sure they wouldn't want you losing out on a place because you were too worried to ask for a reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I must have skimmed over that bit! I can't imagine many headteachers actually writing references!

I think your idea could work though. I'll have to check when I go back!
    Yeah it's a bit stupid tbh. Since the referee gets sent an e-mail, I guess you would have to put the headteacher's e-mail down, and then hope the headteacher will understand that you want the other teacher who knows you better to fill it out.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I'd probably go for the other school tbh. I can completely understand you feel bad asking when they've just had such an awful incident. But I'm sure they wouldn't want you losing out on a place because you were too worried to ask for a reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've ended up e-mailing the teacher I did two days with. As few as it was, she seemed to be really eager to help me with my application, so I thought there was no harm in asking her. I did put that I understand if she feels she can't do it after only two days. If so then I will maybe try the other school. They are opening again on Monday (at another school though) so hopefully things will start straightening out.

Feeling a bit bummed out at the moment with these applications. I was planning on getting some extra days before I went back to uni, so like now, but I have been ill for ages so unable to organise anything I only have seven days at the moment, so fingers crossed I can squeeze in some more. I wanted 14, but at this rate I'd be happy with 10.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a bit stupid tbh. Since the referee gets sent an e-mail, I guess you would have to put the headteacher's e-mail down, and then hope the headteacher will understand that you want the other teacher who knows you better to fill it out.

I've ended up e-mailing the teacher I did two days with. As few as it was, she seemed to be really eager to help me with my application, so I thought there was no harm in asking her. I did put that I understand if she feels she can't do it after only two days. If so then I will maybe try the other school. They are opening again on Monday (at another school though) so hopefully things will start straightening out.

Feeling a bit bummed out at the moment with these applications. I was planning on getting some extra days before I went back to uni, so like now, but I have been ill for ages so unable to organise anything I only have seven days at the moment, so fingers crossed I can squeeze in some more. I wanted 14, but at this rate I'd be happy with 10.
    Do you live somewhere different for uni? If so you might find it easier to find stuff in your uni town than at home, so could work out well!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Do you live somewhere different for uni? If so you might find it easier to find stuff in your uni town than at home, so could work out well!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I commute so I've been looking all around my area. Did have a few places lined up, but one was the place that burnt down, another told me I could defo go and signed me up for a CRB then ignored me since :/ , then there is one more but I don't want to e-mail her about it until I'm better, otherwise I'll just be messing them around if I need to cancel.

How many days do you have at the moment? You may have already mentioned but I forget

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys! Just wanting to join this thread as I'll be applying for this as soon as I get back to uni, so wanting people to talk to about the process, as it seems very confusing! Am I right in thinking that UCAS opens applications on 1st November? What should I be doing in the meantime to prepare for doing my application?

ReputationRep:
    No, I commute so I've been looking all around my area. Did have a few places lined up, but one was the place that burnt down, another told me I could defo go and signed me up for a CRB then ignored me since :/ , then there is one more but I don't want to e-mail her about it until I'm better, otherwise I'll just be messing them around if I need to cancel.

How many days do you have at the moment? You may have already mentioned but I forget
    I am an NQT! Did a PGCE and finished this summer, still looking for a job so spending my time on TSR instead lol.

Before I applied I had my year 10 work experience in a Nursery but that was a while back! In the year before I applied I had I think about 22 days - about 1/4 reception, 1/4 KS2 and 1/2 KS1. I applied for a 3-7 PGCE. (Did 2 days at easter, 2 weeks after I finished my year of uni and 2 weeks before I started back... 2 different schools).

So a bit more than you but really still not that much. It's so much more important to use it well! Remember you can always arrange more in advance and put that you have it arranged on your application.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing_shoes92)
    Hi there guys! Just wanting to join this thread as I'll be applying for this as soon as I get back to uni, so wanting people to talk to about the process, as it seems very confusing! Am I right in thinking that UCAS opens applications on 1st November? What should I be doing in the meantime to prepare for doing my application?
    Yup that's right.
    Writing your personal statement, doing my additional experience you can. Gathering all your certificates etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just managed to get myself a week of work experience for next week! Would it be a disadvantage that it's at a Scottish secondary school? I'm visiting my boyfriend in Scotland for a week and thought I should do something productive during the day since he works full time. I'm hoping to teach maths, and since the curriculum is incredibly similar here and in Scotland, that will still count, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Yup that's right.
    Writing your personal statement, doing my additional experience you can. Gathering all your certificates etc.
    Thanks, how many characters is the personal statement allowed to be?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.