Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Eugenics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    Thanks. Yep, we're all insane here at the Russell Group university I study at. Shame I couldn't see what its like at Kingston "University", but I'm afraid I got A*AA at A Level, not CDE so I wouldn't know.
    Haha, sorry I didn't focus on grades while I was working in the industry. :rolleyes:
    But hey, at least now I can say I'll be in a better off position than most of the people coming out of Russell Group unis!

Oh, also: "It's not what you know, but who you know".

(Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Majority of my university friends come from single parent families.
    That sentence really does not reflect anything about anybody. 99% of my sixth form mates went to a uni somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Alt-J are boring as ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reemaisthinking)
    And finally...don't neg the crap outta me- I'm new....Eating meat shouldn't be allowed. There is no rhyme or reason other than human greed of something that 'tastes yummy'. Don't give me that 'it's a source of protein *******s as insects have way more relative protein but I don't see you eating them! The arrogance of humanity of this 'I can so I will' attitude it idiotic. Rearing animals for meat is such a cruel thing- adding to the fact most people couldn't kill anything themselves and those piss poor excuses for meat-eaters who don't like veins or any trace of blood in their meat!! It's MEAT you fools!
    Thank you for reading
    its hard to put my impression of this post. though admittedly, you do raise good points.

your post uses empathy as its main point, which is great, but then the potential flaw with this is the possible empathising with one group of 'beings' and not another (which wouldnt be fair e.g. being able to empathise with one race and not the others). for example look at plants and the recent articles suggesting they being able to communicate with each other. after seeing the face of the animal you eat, you can say we should not eat them. the human like characteristics personified in animals (their face, their tone of voice when hurt/in danger, their movements when hurt/ in danger etc) may engage your sympathy. but what about plants, that have no face, that cannot move, etc? if i cut off the stem of a plant, we do not perceive it as crying or anything, but does that actually mean it isnt? we dont see much of ourselves in these, we do not recognise the fact that we share some attributes like communication (i.e. the link i posted), but does that mean it is okay? does the link engage your sympathy for plants? where is the line drawn between eating this is okay, and eating that is immoral? without trying to sound hippy-ish, does this mean we cannot eat anything? ideals are trumping being realistic, which shouldnt be the case. i think its important to respect what we eat, rather than trying to not kill them. respect as in, dont over purchase food only for it to go off/ left overs to go in the trash, etc. this applies to both meat and plants.

personally, i have no issue with eating meat... the eating of meat is NOT immoral or wrong, look at eating animals who die of natural causes. what i can say is an issue, is how meat is obtained. this whole demand bullcrap means more animals are killed than necessary to try an reap as much profit as possible. and if this demand is miscalculated, you will get a lot of wasted meat. to rephrase, eating meat is not wrong, the way meat is obtained is. this lack of respect

cant tell whether i turn hippyish late at night... wondering how ill feel about this post of mine in the morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    i think its important to respect what we eat
    Excellent. You're just much more articulate than I
    I agree with what you've said, and I think there have been laws and promoted awareness of the over-farming of animals, so perhaps we're getting there..slowly.
    ...You're issues with plants worried me more than I like to admit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    People hating on Michael Gove are generally quite dumb.
    Democracy is stupid, most people are too dumb to be given choices.
    Kind of agree with these two points, it annoys me that people just hate change whatever it may be to education or any or other department. I get the impression it must be impossible to alter anything because everyone will just hate it and jump on the hate bandwagon no matter how minor or insignificant the change may be.

One of the reasons i disagree with UKIP is the fact they will give binding referendums to the public on local issues providing 5% of the public want it. This is linked in with the fact that i don't want the public to decide on whether we stay in or leave the European Union because they are ignorant of the situation and will have been brainwashed into someone else's view of the EU by the media such as DailyMail which obviously has the most readership because people are idiots.

On another note, i am against gay marriage although if it did pass i personally wouldn't care that much because it wont really effect me, then again that probably sounds hypocritical i know but oh well.

I also am in favor of capital punishment in some cases e.g. murder where guilt is proven beyond all doubt.

Just to counteract these views, i am pro-euthanasia and pro-abortion.

ReputationRep:
    Jaffa Cakes are all right. Not great, just all right.

Burn me now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reemaisthinking)
    Excellent. You're just much more articulate than I
    I agree with what you've said, and I think there have been laws and promoted awareness of the over-farming of animals, so perhaps we're getting there..slowly.
    ...You're issues with plants worried me more than I like to admit.
    it just highlights the issue between idealistic thinking and being realistic i guess
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    A lot of vegetarians - ones like yourself, who are so because of their dislike of the idea of breeding animals for food, etc...- still eat sea food and fish, which always confuses me.
    There's a name for these people which begins with P. I have to agree - I've never understood this either. I did used to know someone who claimed they were vegetarian and ate chicken. How is that different to me saying I'm a meat eater; but I don't eat certain meats because of their taste and texture?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of vegetarians - ones like yourself, who are so because of their dislike of the idea of breeding animals for food, etc...- still eat sea food and fish, which always confuses me.
    I agree that this seems very hypocritical.

However, although I am not vegetarian, I don't think I could eat dog. So I guess that is also a double-standard.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that there isn't a God is far more comforting than the idea that there is one. There are ethical justifications for eating meat beyond 'it tastes nice.' The Big Bang Theory (not the show, the actual theory ) borders on nonsensical. Our generation's music is not crap (well, not entirely) - on the contrary, with electronic and dance music we've tapped into something incredible. Fanfiction is brilliant. I actually like Elementary (Sherlock fans, bring the lynch kit). Celebrations is the best chocolate box out there (wouldn't seem very controversial, but you'd be surprised how many 'OMG' reactions I've got). Siblings are not obligated to love each other. Gay people should be allowed to adopt. Life is fundamentally good. Gender is not binary. I agree with capital punishment in certain cases - and it should be a possible sentence for serial rapists as well as murderers/terrorists etc. Teenagers are often some of the most intelligent, rational, incredible people I have ever met. My 'faith in humanity' is in positive numbers.

ReputationRep:
    After reading this thread, I genuinely find it quite scary how many fascists we apparently have on tsr.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1. Population needs curbing in the UK, wouldn't mind any of the following to be put in place to achieve this:
    - Licence to have a children based on the parent's socioeconomical situation
    - 2-3 children per couple
    - Compulsory vasectomies after 2-3 children

2. Nandos is horrible.

3. I dislike the southern states of America.

4. I dislike the northern British accents. Nopenopenope.

5. Voting should be compulsory like the census. Fines for those who choose not to vote. Spoiling papers is still okay.

6. People with no idea of design or a creative flare should be banned from making posters etc.

7. Comic Sans should be banned from Earth.

8. I think that a few things that the current gov't are doing is actually good for the UK.

9. HS2 is bad and the existing railway network should be entirely upgraded with the money allocated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    doctor who is absolutely rubbish
    And hugely overrated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InternetGangster)
    How would you enforce this test then?

Well, you can't really enforce it, which is why it'll never happen. Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Despise the people praising thatchers death, disrespectful as how would you like it if people say celebrated your mums death? The young people have not experienced her works therefore shouldn't pass such a judgement.

Snap backs, those sodding 3d glasses, anything with OBEY on it. Indie kids in general annoy me as they have become mainstream.

Anyone who posts more than 3 pointless Facebook statuses a day should be punished. e.g "I love my girlfriend so much" or my favorite "No one talk to me". Die.

Twitter will hopefully suffer the same fate as Bebo.

Online dating websites make people less sociable as it encourages them to sit with their nose pressed up against the monitor all day.

Old people should drive faster.

People who give excuses for being fat (medical grounds obviously ok)

Smoking and weight related illnesses taken off the NHS, waste of money and would allow more staff to be hired.

Glee+Made In Chelsea+TOWIE and all the other poop should be banned for encouraging people to act like complete t****.

ReputationRep:
    Sport should be less encouraged, and should not be compulsory in schools as it encourages bullying and violence and makes intelligence seem less important in becoming successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The*****Of96)
    Sport should be less encouraged, and should not be compulsory in schools as it encourages bullying and violence and makes intelligence seem less important in becoming successful.
    therefore leading to even more obese children as people get less and less exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)
    therefore leading to even more obese children as people get less and less exercise
    TBH the problem with PE is bully pe teachers every school has them
    and being forced to do things that u dont feel comftable like jumping over thoes "horses" i wasnt conviced they were safe especially with the yoga mats my school liked to call crash mats to land on if you fall head first , and they dont cater to each persons individual needs for example my lower school never taught us how to play things like basketball and rounders when i went to middle school you were expected to know they would be nasty if you asked for help and if you did the wrong thing then the kids would turn on you
    also our PE teachers would get angry if we were to walk around the school feild or take a rest they just expected us to be able to run the lenght of half a football pitch (not every kid is able to do that!

ReputationRep:
    Dump the whole cast of TOWIE and Made In Chelsea on same isolated island with nothing but some botox

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.