Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    If you don't want to resit + don't want to take it to A2 and think you can get good grades in your other subjects don't bother wasting time on it. I got an E in one of my AS subjects and still got all of my offers and got A*AA this year without worrying about resitting a relatively irrelevant subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for replying! That's definitely made me feel more relieved. ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urban Ace)
    Had BBBE at AS level and emerged as a beautiful butterfly with A*A*AB at A2
    Wow congratulations. Can an E become a B without retaking?

ReputationRep:
    has any one done as resits with a2 and how hard was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user1150)
    got CDDE, first year, retook AS + DONE A2 in second year, got AAB at AS and ACC overall

How did you manage the workload from a2 with the resits i have 5 exams to resit im planning doing some in a2 and some in the 3rd year. Btw i got AEU
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worsdee)
    I got ACDE or 'ACED' at AS. Spent all of this year with teachers telling me I wasn't good enough and that I should aim low to avoid disappointment. Having got a low C in Economics and despite writing about 3 A grade essays a week my ***hole teacher finally agreed to predict me an A but said it was very unlikely I would get it (said it was 1/5). I worked hard and came out with AAC, whilst it wasn't AAB my first choice uni let me in anyway. The best part was i nailed 100 UMS in ***hole teachers module and got 3 marks off an A*. I can tell anyone who was in my position there is no sweeter feeling than looking into his eyes and knowing that you were the bigger man. It was the worst year of my life but I can honestly say that if you put the hours in it is absolutely worth it.
    Wow hats off to you i didnt do well at as i was disappointed because i worked hard but i think i know where i went wrong and nerves got the better of me. But now im focused on the solution not the problem. I just hope when i go back the teacher dont say i won't do any better in resits. AS level was pretty bad for me too. can i ask what u got into at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fading_away97)
    has any one done as resits with a2 and how hard was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did four AS resits in total, so I had 11 exams. Of course it's tough but it's not impossible.
    Just start revising early and be really really organised through out the year. You could start revising for your AS resits as early as now, there's nothing stopping you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo7777)
    I did four AS resits in total, so I had 11 exams. Of course it's tough but it's not impossible.
    Just start revising early and be really really organised through out the year. You could start revising for your AS resits as early as now, there's nothing stopping you
    Thanks for the reply. I will start revising now!))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many hours did you do a day? I just want to know, I know its about how efficient but hard work also plays a good role in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)
    Wow, bravo!
    Mind me asking which subjects did you do with chemistry? Trying to get Cs in maths and physics up to at least Bs but because all modules were Cs and Ds I'm not sure how good an idea it is to resit all of the 6 maths and two physics. Will be doing A2 physics and chemistry with them, maybe the resits will help, maybe not. When you resat did you do loads or pick a few? Any advice on managing resits shall be awesome, I get work more, start earlier, time study better. Anything else?
    Thanks And no worries! I did biology and physics, and maths at AS (dropped purely because I didn't enjoy it!). I only have knowledge of the OCR boards for physics and chemistry but they're definitely tougher at A2. Content-wise for physics I found it ok but the exams were something else. I found A2 chem content to be challenging in unit 5 and the exam was difficult. In AS I resat two exams in the summer and didn't find the extra workload a problem. In A2 I only resat one (thankfully I was in the position where only one was needed!).

I'd advise you maybe to look at your lowest scoring units and consider resitting those (or chunkier units where you could pick up a lot more UMS by resitting). I wouldn't take on too many. I have a friend who got four Cs at AS. She wanted to go to an ABB uni so she resat almost every exam at A2. While she did perform better in the resits, her A2 exams suffered as a result and she came out with three Cs this year and was rejected from her firm. So I wouldn't take on too much. Only you know how many you can handle But be warned that A2 chem and physics are tough and you'll need to dedicate a decent chunk of time to them. I can't speak for maths at A2 but judging from exam reactions from my friends this year, they were also challenging exams.

As for managing them, split time well. Don't spend too much time on resits and not enough on A2 units. I split mine evenly between both but towards the end, spent a lot more time on the A2 units. The resits should be slightly easier as you've covered the content before so it'll be a case of revising it and nailing the bits you're really stuck on. Don't waste time on the stuff you already know. Briefly refresh your memory then move on.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andaxay)
    Thanks And no worries! I did biology and physics, and maths at AS (dropped purely because I didn't enjoy it!). I only have knowledge of the OCR boards for physics and chemistry but they're definitely tougher at A2. Content-wise for physics I found it ok but the exams were something else. I found A2 chem content to be challenging in unit 5 and the exam was difficult. In AS I resat two exams in the summer and didn't find the extra workload a problem. In A2 I only resat one (thankfully I was in the position where only one was needed!).

I'd advise you maybe to look at your lowest scoring units and consider resitting those (or chunkier units where you could pick up a lot more UMS by resitting). I wouldn't take on too many. I have a friend who got four Cs at AS. She wanted to go to an ABB uni so she resat almost every exam at A2. While she did perform better in the resits, her A2 exams suffered as a result and she came out with three Cs this year and was rejected from her firm. So I wouldn't take on too much. Only you know how many you can handle But be warned that A2 chem and physics are tough and you'll need to dedicate a decent chunk of time to them. I can't speak for maths at A2 but judging from exam reactions from my friends this year, they were also challenging exams.

As for managing them, split time well. Don't spend too much time on resits and not enough on A2 units. I split mine evenly between both but towards the end, spent a lot more time on the A2 units. The resits should be slightly easier as you've covered the content before so it'll be a case of revising it and nailing the bits you're really stuck on. Don't waste time on the stuff you already know. Briefly refresh your memory then move on.

Good luck
    Hey i didnt do too well in physics ocr AS any tips for resiting exams and A2 content aswell. How is a2 different from AS apart from difficulty is there more stuff to memorise or understand ?

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage the workload from a2 with the resits i have 5 exams to resit im planning doing some in a2 and some in the 3rd year. Btw i got AEU
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    obviously I couldn't handle it that's why I got two C's

ReputationRep:
    Received very bad AS results - EEUU in Maths, Psychology, Economics and Computing - Unfortunately didn't put in enough hours. How do I retake the whole year. If the current school is not allowing to continue, will I be able to do it with a different school? Not sure how to go on from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by space1)
    Received very bad AS results - EEUU in Maths, Psychology, Economics and Computing - Unfortunately didn't put in enough hours. How do I retake the whole year. If the current school is not allowing to continue, will I be able to do it with a different school? Not sure how to go on from here.
    A guy I know flopped his AS exams and had to retake the year at another college. Our one didn't allow AS year retakes unless it was for medical reasons. I suggest a fresh start somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.
    hey can I just ask how did you go about improving those grades drastically like when did u start revision for AS and A2 ?!? Did u revise as completely before u went back to school in September ?!?!? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.
    Hey I got BDDU (Psychology, Biology, Chemistry and Maths). I'm gonna drop maths and i'm going to retake my unit 1 exams in biology and chemistry since I got an E and U in them hence why I got Ds overall which weren't far from a C.

How did you balance revising for AS and A2 exams ?? Do you have any tips or advice as i'm really unsure on how I can do this ?

ReputationRep:

How did u do it? Im in need of help.

ReputationRep:
    Can that still work for a2 students starting from this September? Apparently they can't do january re sit modules for AS exams

ReputationRep:
    Hey i didnt do too well in physics ocr AS any tips for resiting exams and A2 content aswell. How is a2 different from AS apart from difficulty is there more stuff to memorise or understand ?
    Hallo, sorry for the late reply. Apparently AS was really hard this year for OCR so don't get too disheartened! Depending on what you got and how far you were off your desired grade, it wouldn't be impossible to resit both written exams. It depends whether you feel you can handle the workload - it's a whole year essentially so doing both could be difficult. Maybe look at your lowest-scoring one and see if you could get that higher to boost your grade as much as possible?

Content-wise at A2, there is a similar amount of stuff so there's no "extra" work as such, but the content can get quite tricky. I had bits that I understood straight away and bits that I struggled like hell with (looking at you, electromagnetic induction), so I felt like I had to put more work in to understand some of the stuff this year. The exams are harder, definitely. Compared to AS I found them a big step-up. The ISAs are around the same level of difficulty, I didn't feel they were too hard, though I scored lower than I was hoping to so don't write them off. Worth putting the effort in for them. Unit 5 can feel stupidly big and overwhelming but once you break it down it's not too bad.

Maybe chat to your teacher about resits but if you weren't far off where you wanted to be, I'd only advise resitting the lowest-scoring unit (or the one which will give you a large UMS increase) because doing both might be a bit much work-wise. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    How did you stay organised when revising for AS and A2 exams ??

Do you have any advice or tips ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    Hi there, some one last year in my college pulled a B up to an A* in Psychology, so I hope that gives you some motivation
    Do you have to drop an one as level at a2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.