Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    A lot of post ccts cannot find consultant jobs, and if you do get a consultant job youll be in your mid 30s after having gone through grueling training and work hours.

Every single doctor told me if i was interested in making money whilst having a similar job, dentistry is a much better choice
    Yup. All of that is true.

Dentists have much better hours, the job is far less difficult, you need to learn and do less stuff (not a 6 year degree), and you probably get paid more for your time when compared to medics (up to consultancy post). That is unless you're not a very good dentist.

Like I said its not the best paid job. My mate is on 65K and he'll be 22 next year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All Taken)
    Doctor salary stuff
    Doctors can earn £100k, sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. Some people though are finding it hard to credit bad8oy's belief that being a doctor will lead to earning £100k by 32 though.

8 years of salary increment as a consultant to hit that figure, 8 years minimum after medical school to become a consultant. Unless he graduated medical school at 16 he's going to be a bit past 32 if/when he reaches the 100k mark.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. All of that is true.

Dentists have much better hours, the job is far less difficult, you need to learn less stuff (not a 6 year degree) and you probably get paid more for your time when compared to medics (up to consultancy post). That is unless you're not a very good dentist.

Like I said its not the best paid job. My mate is on 65K and he'll be 22 next year :rolleyes:
    Dentistry and medicine are both 5 year degrees and require the same grades lol.
    The job isn't always less difficult, infact, a 25 year old dentist has far more responsibility than a 25 year old doctor. Junior doctors have consultants controlling their work, dentists don't have this.
    Dentists are sued 3x more than a doctor and dentists are self employed = no patients, no money.

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry and medicine are both 5 year degrees and require the same grades lol.
    True. So? I didn't claim you didn't require the same grades/studied for the same amount of time? I said dentists learn less stuff, although I should have been specific and said- medics learn about more biochemical and physiological systems than the human mouth, it's internal constructs, and the surgical and anaesthetic techniques which could be employed to it.

This is simply a statement of fact. It doesn't mean any more than the point I'm making.

EDIT: I only said 6 years because I myself am on a 6 year course, however I should have been sensitive to those medics on 5 year courses. I forget it can be done in 4 (with precedent degree on hand as a graduate course).

The job isn't always less difficult, infact, a 25 year old dentist has far more responsibility than a 25 year old doctor. Junior doctors have consultants controlling their work, dentists don't have this.
    It is more difficult purely in the respect that you are worked longer and harder. Doesn't predicate that it is technically more challenging, although I could happily argue that it is.

Your point about responsibility is subjective, especially seeing as junior medics have killed human beings due to incompetence, an occurrence which I've not been made hugely aware of in dentistry (yes there's risk of infection, but death is rare).

Dentists are sued 3x more than a doctor and dentists are self employed = no patients, no money.
    This is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)
    Doctors can earn £100k, sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. Some people though are finding it hard to credit bad8oy's belief that being a doctor will lead to earning £100k by 32 though.

8 years of salary increment as a consultant to hit that figure, 8 years minimum after medical school to become a consultant. Unless he graduated medical school at 16 he's going to be a bit past 32 if/when he reaches the 100k mark.
    Agreed.

32 is the earliest you can even become a consultant (which is 75K basic salary), then it's eight years from THEN to have a basic salary of 100K. (So you'd be 40).

Of course if you do good private work, it is possible, but up to at least the age of, say 35(ish), this is quite ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    True. So? I didn't claim you didn't require the same grades/studied for the same amount of time? I said dentists learn less stuff, although I should have been specific and said- medics learn about more biochemical and physiological systems than the human mouth, it's internal constructs, and the surgical and anaesthetic techniques which could be employed to it.

This is simply a statement of fact. It doesn't mean any more than the point I'm making.

EDIT: I only said 6 years because I myself am on a 6 year course, however I should have been sensitive to those medics on 5 year courses. I forget it can be done in 4 (with precedent degree on hand as a graduate course).

It is more difficult purely in the respect that you are worked longer and harder. Doesn't predicate that it is technically more challenging, although I could happily argue that it is.

Your point about responsibility is subjective, especially seeing as junior medics have killed human beings due to incompetence, an occurrence which I've not been made hugely aware of in dentistry (yes there's risk of infection, but death is rare).

This is true.
    Dentists have a far greater knowledge of the head and neck than medics after university, also dentists have to learn surgical procedures and be able to perform them. The pre clinical years are very similar though...

You course is 6 years because of the intercalated BSC, vets and dentists can also do this but it is not compulsory.

OVERALL, I agree, after university being a doctor has much more difficulties than being a general dentist. However, in certain respects, dentistry is more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Datta10)
    Is expecting a starting salary of 28k ok for software engineers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm

ReputationRep:
    Dentists have a far greater knowledge of the head and neck than medics after university, also dentists have to learn surgical procedures and be able to perform them. The pre clinical years are very similar though...

You course is 6 years because of the intercalated BSC, vets and dentists can also do this but it is not compulsory.

OVERALL, I agree, after university being a doctor has much more difficulties than being a general dentist. However, in certain respects, dentistry is more difficult.
    Doctors also must learn about surgical procedures and be able to perform them- after all, the degree is Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. However, I agree hat dentists have a vaster knowledge of the head and neck than your typical doctor, although most medical specialities do not involve the head and neck.

I'm not sure if dentists are taught neuro, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm
    My good mate is studying software engineering at City. He's on a placement year right now between years 2 and 3 and is earning more than that (21 K).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)

You don't need to be a consultant to earn 100k as a doctor. That's the point I'm trying to make. Personally if I was going to practice as a doctor id go down the GP route, it's pretty easy to find work to supplement your salary. People are making out its impossible. People in my family have done it by that age so I don't think it's very unreasonable.
    I know a locum FY2 who racked up 120k in a year, just doing locum work. She was working stupid hours though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    My good mate is studying software engineering at City. He's on a placement year right now between years 2 and 3 and is earning more than that (21 K).
    He must be in London then? Salaries are ridiculous with the amount of skills they require, I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that

ReputationRep:
    He must be in London then? Salaries are ridiculous with the amount of skills they require, I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that
    Yep, he's in London.

ReputationRep:
    I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that
    And yet a few weeks ago you were moaning that you couldnt even get a minimum wage job - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2749165.

How did you come to the conclusion that you're worth more than 18k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    You don't need to be a consultant to earn 100k as a doctor. That's the point I'm trying to make. Personally if I was going to practice as a doctor id go down the GP route, it's pretty easy to find work to supplement your salary. People are making out its impossible. People in my family have done it by that age so I don't think it's very unreasonable.
    I know a locum FY2 who racked up 120k in a year, just doing locum work. She was working stupid hours though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont understand why youd go into medicine instead of dentistry if money was your interest? Theres definitely a higher percentage of big earners in dentistry compared to med

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why youd go into medicine instead of dentistry if money was your interest? Theres definitely a higher percentage of big earners in dentistry compared to med
    Medicine interests me. It's something I'm very passionate about. Dentistry although similar in many ways doesn't appeal to me.
    I'd personally be able to earn more money in med because I'll be able to work for a member in my family. It's not just the money that interests me lol, it's a combination of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    There's nothing I like at all in life. I'm not even going there. Money and work and improving the EXTENSIVENESS of my experiences are the only things I care about. FFS, NO. I want my dream car in my one, fleeting life, at the very least. What have I done so far...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Reading a lot of ur posts, If someone said to you that they would cut off ur testicles such tht u can never have kids of ur own, in exchange for a billion pounds. Would u do it? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    Don't let him force you! Do what you want to do. You'll only end up regretting it in the long run. Medecine is a highly stressful career to do if you're not passionate about it. Also chem engineering is a great profession with good money Can't you just tell him it's your life and ultimately your decision? Surely he wouldn't want you to end up unhappy and resenting him
    meh, its done now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariobros)
    Reading a lot of ur posts, If someone said to you that they would cut off ur testicles such tht u can never have kids of ur own, in exchange for a billion pounds. Would u do it? lol
    If it was painless, in my current state of mind, I'd definitely say yes to that. A billion is insane. You'd be mad to refuse that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    Medicine interests me. It's something I'm very passionate about. Dentistry although similar in many ways doesn't appeal to me.
    I'd personally be able to earn more money in med because I'll be able to work for a member in my family. It's not just the money that interests me lol, it's a combination of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My friend is in a similar situation, kinda.
    He's like super smart in terms of maths and economics but he always wanted a high status job. Money isn't a factor, his dad runs a multi million pound business and my mate is his only son...

So hes studying dentistry, hes going to be a dentist, and hes already guaranteed to be a millionaire OUTSIDE of dentistry.

Hes iranian, and his dad has promised him an R8 when he graduates.

Hes set for ****ing life LOL

ReputationRep:
    Mortgage Adviser position in October. £15K start (£18k OTE) until pass CeMap 1 (1st qualification) + hit combined sales targets. 24 months timeframe then salary bump to £25k basic (£35k OTE). Obviously sales based so all depends on ability, have examples of somebody on target to earn £35k in their first full year at 22, another at £70k at 24, but then obviously lots of people not on that.

I aim to work in the company for around 3 or 4 years gaining the necessary qualifications and moving to a company that offers better bonus schemes, positions which fulfill the experience i would have by then i've seen on various jobs sites are around £40k+ OTE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.