Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excito)
    Sorry to hear, hope others go better. Was this for spring/summer or winter? Thanks
    no preference between summer and spring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyangelg)
    Invited to Linklaters assessment centre. Has anyone been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went a couple of weeks ago and got an offer within six days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugo grotius)
    I went a couple of weeks ago and got an offer within six days.
    Oh okay How did you find it. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I've graduated and just started looking into law. I am a chemistry graduate so I'm interested in IP. I just got accepted onto Bristows' Winter Workshop, which is their vac sheme, I was wondering if anyone else is going?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was good (obviously!). They took commercial awareness very seriously. Make sure you know a lot about what the firm does, and a couple of specific deals they have done (Post Office IPO is popular this year). Devour investopedia and make sure you have an understanding of commercial terminology.

I completely ballsed up the written part, but redeemed myself in the interview, so don't worry too much if the written part goes wrong. It's very hard.

Edit: Forgot to say how friendly everyone was. More so than at Freshies when I interviewed there. They're really looking for two things I think - a genuine interest in the firm, and likeability.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anyone had an interview with Jones Day who could tell me how long I should expect to wait for a reply if successful or unsuccessful (if they even respond to the latter?) Thanks

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I interviewed for a TC at Linklaters year but I didn't accept the TC offer. My advice would be to beware taking too long on the 'in tray' exercise thing they do (presuming that's used for vac scheme applications) as everyone I know who has done it is really rushed for time, practice the Watson Glaser test as they do retest you in the office and also be prepared for the HR interview because although the it's not that complicated it was very competency heavy so be prepared for that too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Baker & McKenzie post tests? If so, how long did it take to get a response? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meep_meep)
    Anyone heard from Baker & McKenzie post tests? If so, how long did it take to get a response? Thanks
    I had my telephone interview with B&M last Tuesday and am still waiting to hear back. It took about three working days after completing the final test before I received the invitation to schedule the telephone interview.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Irwin Mitchell yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktc890)
    Yeah of-course they did Sophie CC are full of trainees with 2.2s..... and I'd bet my hat that the Oxford undergrad you made fun of has a damn sight better chance of getting a TC than a 2.2 Essex grad.

And if that's the case and you've completed your undergrad and a postgrad degree, and a vac scheme at CC, then why don't you have a TC yet? Oh let me guess.....
    As a matter of fact, I am that Oxford undergrad, and what Sophie said is completely true - I was unsuccessful, and people with 2:2s from less prestigious universities were successful.

Perhaps don't be so narrow-minded - it is rare for magic circle trainees to have a 2:2, but the magic circle trainees that have got in with a 2:2 are those with extenuating circumstances or, like Sophie, got outstanding results in further study.

ReputationRep:
    Just did the HSF test, you guys were right it wasn't too bad... how long d'you reckon until I hear whether I hit their benchmark? (And what's the next stage, interview or being invited for the other two tests? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    Just did the HSF test, you guys were right it wasn't too bad... how long d'you reckon until I hear whether I hit their benchmark? (And what's the next stage, interview or being invited for the other two tests? )
    Hey - for the HSF situational judgement test, do you have to select the most and least effective or just choose the best from 3 options? Sorry, I've been hearing conflicting things so I'm confused :s
    thanks!

Also I believe the next stage is the next 2 tests

ReputationRep:

You'll get your results within a day or two saying that they will send you the other two tests to complete (i.e. you've passed). You have to complete those tests within a week and then they look at your application as a whole taking into account all results and your application.

ReputationRep:
    @legallife there were 25 questions, each a short scenario, and 3 choices to choose which one you would do in that situation really not that bad!

Thanks Sophie! Hope I get to take the next 2 tests! I'm guessing interview is where they pile on all the why law/why HSF...

ReputationRep:
    @legallife there were 25 questions, each a short scenario, and 3 choices to choose which one you would do in that situation really not that bad!

Thanks Sophie! Hope I get to take the next 2 tests! I'm guessing interview is where they pile on all the why law/why HSF...
    Thanks! & good luck

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard from WLG post AC for the winter scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    As a matter of fact, I am that Oxford undergrad, and what Sophie said is completely true - I was unsuccessful, and people with 2:2s from less prestigious universities were successful.

Perhaps don't be so narrow-minded - it is rare for magic circle trainees to have a 2:2, but the magic circle trainees that have got in with a 2:2 are those with extenuating circumstances or, like Sophie, got outstanding results in further study.
    Look at yourself mate! You're a pre-vac schemer who's trying to school a current trainee at a MC firm about who actually gets TCs at MC firms. Seriously do me a favour.

My point is simple. I've yet to see someone convert a 2.2 into an actual MC TC offer. Vac scheme work experience is a different thing altogether and firms (the hiring partners) are far more reluctant when they have a multitude of outstanding candidates dying to join them to risk that amount of money spent training a trainee - about £200,000 all in - on someone with a 2.2 from a very average university.

It's unrealistic. If it does happen it does so in such minute numbers as to be completely irrelevant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but to get a TC at the very best of the magic circle firms like Freshfields, you need to be able to differentiate yourself from even the above average candidate. If the MC hired people with 2.2s but who had good post-grad results, then the poster would have a TC with a MC firm by now and wouldn't be reapplying in a new cycle for yet more work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Look at yourself mate! You're a pre-vac schemer who's trying to school a current trainee at a MC firm about who actually gets TCs at MC firms. Seriously do me a favour.

My point is simple. I've yet to see someone convert a 2.2 into an actual MC TC offer. Vac scheme work experience is a different thing altogether and firms (the hiring partners) are far more reluctant when they have a multitude of outstanding candidates dying to join them to risk that amount of money spent training a trainee - about £200,000 all in - on someone with a 2.2 from a very average university.

It's unrealistic. If it does happen it does so in such minute numbers as to be completely irrelevant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but to get a TC at the very best of the magic circle firms like Freshfields, you need to be able to differentiate yourself from even the above average candidate. If the MC hired people with 2.2s but who had good post-grad results, then the poster would have a TC with a MC firm by now and wouldn't be reapplying in a new cycle for yet more work experience.
    Since you are saying that the vac scheme selection process is a lot less strict than it is for the TC, do you know how many vac schemers who apply actually end up getting offered a TC?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

You were a pre vac schemer once too - why do you feel the need to be so rude to people? Is it because the trainee cynicism has already kicked in?

The number is not irrelevant - those people exist. Being so dismissive of someone's ability when you only know they have a 2.2 and their university is more dangerous than giving people supposedly false hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.