Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbsurdBanana)
    Having attended a school that taught me TSA skills, interview techniques and wrote me a reference that sparkled, I feel like Oxford should devote all the resources it has at its disposal to those who don't have such an opportunity. I understand that some independent schools are (much) worse than others but there has to be some arbitrary lines drawn so those who most need support get it.
    How about when one attends a Grammar School but gets no help what so ever...? We are all told to go and fetch.....:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    How about when one attends a Grammar School but gets no help what so ever...? We are all told to go and fetch.....:mad:
    Realise you're at least not going to a poor comprehensive school where the attitude to education is also "go and fetch".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifescomplexity)
    Meeeee! The 1st

Ok, so I keep on meaning to post:

GCSEs: 9A*s, 2As (Music, RS), 1B (Latin twilight)

A Levels: English, History, Philosophy and Economics (predicted A, A, A, A/B respectively). Planning to drop Econ at the end of the year and do an EPQ next year :O

Course: History!

College: Narrowed it down to Balliol, Wadham or Univ........

Anyone else wanting to do History out there?! Good luck all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm looking at History at least, maybe History Politics if I get really good AS results.
    A bit like you, I'm worried about possibly getting one B....do you think that would be a major issue, if it's only the AS you drop anyway?

You been to any open days or anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 5A*s, 5As 1B(Welsh)
    A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, English Lang/lit and Geography (predicted as AAAA)
    Course: Medicine
    College: Jesus, Exeter or Pembroke

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 13 A*s
    A-level: maths, further maths, computer science, geography, critical thinking (AS) and EPQ
    (predicted AAAAA at AS)
    Course: computer science
    College: not really sure but like St Hugh's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Realise you're at least not going to a poor comprehensive school where the attitude to education is also "go and fetch".

I had experienced the comprehensive before joining my current school and I can assure you that was not the case. The teachers went out of their way to accommodate and help every single one of us....too much! I
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr111)
    Hello!

GCSE grades: 7A*s 3As (Bio, Chem, Physics) 1B (english lit)

A-Levels:Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology ( Predicted AS: AAAA)
    Course: Biomedical Science (or maybe experimental psych?)
    College: No idea! I'll wait until the open day so I can get a real feel for all the colleges.

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I really enjoy science (especially biology) and the aspect of helping people through science is what drew me to biomed. However, I am kicking myself over the fact that my 3 As at GCSE are in the sciences and I believe this is because of the way it was spread over units and I definitely could have done better. Question is, would I have a good enough chance if I applied and would they look harshly at those As?

Sorry if I sound silly >.<

The 7 A*s presumably includes an A* for Maths. The number of GCSE A*s suggests you would be in contention, especially if your school report and A2 predictions are strong (the selectors will look at the UCAS application as a whole). Maths is not an essential requirement for Biomedical Sciences or EP and the fact you are continuing this subject to A-level is something to set against the AAA GCSE results in the Sciences. As others have pointed out on TSR, you can't change your profile by worrying about it so best to stay positive and concentrate on your studies going forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    Yeah I'm looking at History at least, maybe History Politics if I get really good AS results.
    A bit like you, I'm worried about possibly getting one B....do you think that would be a major issue, if it's only the AS you drop anyway?

You been to any open days or anything yet?
    Don't panic about getting a B at AS, I know people with a B or two at AS who got interviews and/ or subsequent offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not!!??
    I visited Both Universities ''Oxbridge'' when I was in year 9.
    I am preparing for my GCSEs exams at the moment and I am going next week as well.
    You will not achieve your objective without good GCSEs and good AS. Some people will sail through both with very little effort. The other 99% will have to focus on the job(s) in hand. Which type are you?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 8A* 2A
    A levels: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, general studies (but that doesn't really count)
    Course: Physics (hopefully)
    College: Corpus Christi

So the ideal course would be Physics and Philosophy, but I'm not doing further maths or an essay subject, however I do plan on doing an EPQ next year. Is it even likely that I will get into Oxford? Should I still apply even though I'm probably a weaker applicant without FM, or am I just wasting my time? Should I apply for natural sciences at Cambridge instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,

Course: PPE (or possibly Law, but most likely PPE)

College: New or Magdalen

I'm an Australian student currently doing undergrad at uni who's applying to Oxford during my degree, so I have no GCSEs or A-Levels, but I'm currently doing philosophy/Russian at uni.

Best of luck to everybody who applies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilym80)
    Hi there everyone,

Course: PPE (or possibly Law, but most likely PPE)

College: New or Magdalen

I'm an Australian student currently doing undergrad at uni who's applying to Oxford during my degree, so I have no GCSEs or A-Levels, but I'm currently doing philosophy/Russian at uni.

Best of luck to everybody who applies!

Hi Emilym,

The selectors will look at your ATAR ranking which will need to be in the range 98.5 - 99.5. You'll also be expected to have an ACT year 12 certificate, or HSC/NTCE/SACE/WACE or VCE depending on where your school was in Australia. You would need to take the TSA aptitude test (along with the other candidates for PPE - or the LNAT for Law). If invited to interview, as an overseas applicant you'd have the option of a Skype interview. Remember to include the fact you are on course in your UCAS application since UCAS ask candidates to provide details of their full education history including details of any current programmes. An offer would also be likely to specify completion of your current 1st year University course if you are still enrolled.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Hi Emilym,

The selectors will look at your ATAR ranking which will need to be in the range 98.5 - 99.5. You'll also be expected to have an ACT year 12 certificate, or HSC/NTCE/SACE/WACE or VCE depending on where your school was in Australia. You would need to take the TSA aptitude test (along with the other candidates for PPE - or the LNAT for Law). If invited to interview, as an overseas applicant you'd have the option of a Skype interview. Remember to include the fact you are on course in your UCAS application since UCAS ask candidates to provide details of their full education history including details of any current programmes. An offer would also be likely to specify completion of your current 1st year University course if you are still enrolled.

Hope this helps.
    Hi there,

Thanks for this. Due to extenuating circumstances in my final year, I received an ATAR of 92 - much lower than was predicted - and therefore did not make the requirement typical of Oxford offers to Australian students, but I have been in touch with the colleges that I am considering and they have said that, given my situation, my university marks will be taken as my primary qualification as opposed to my ATAR score (as well as the statement, TSA etc).

Thank you very much for this information, though! I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loverofthelight)
    GCSEs: 8A* 2A
    A levels: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, general studies (but that doesn't really count)
    Course: Physics (hopefully)
    College: Corpus Christi

So the ideal course would be Physics and Philosophy, but I'm not doing further maths or an essay subject, however I do plan on doing an EPQ next year. Is it even likely that I will get into Oxford? Should I still apply even though I'm probably a weaker applicant without FM, or am I just wasting my time? Should I apply for natural sciences at Cambridge instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Further Maths is not a course requirement but most candidates gaining places do take this A Level probably because FM provides a boost to the Physics Aptitude Test. That said, offers are made to applicants without Further Maths, you are studying 4 A levels (excluding General Studies), and the decision to invite to interview will take into account the PAT score.

ReputationRep:
    Also, given my lower-than-average leaving score and the fact that I haven't done maths in a couple of years, I was wondering if it would be worth doing an SAT Maths Subject Test to demonstrate that I have some ability in maths and would therefore be able to cope with the Economics part of the PPE degree? As my year 12 results do not give any indication of mathematical ability.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    You will not achieve your objective without good GCSEs and good AS. Some people will sail through both with very little effort. The other 99% will have to focus on the job(s) in hand. Which type are you?

I am expected to get 11 A* this year.
    I will be taking 5 A levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
    I have already started my A level courses..self teaching of course.
    Few Golds and distinctions in Olympiads.

You decide...

ReputationRep:
    I am expected to get 11 A* this year.
    I will be taking 5 A levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
    I have already started my A level courses..self teaching of course.
    Few Golds and distinctions in Olympiads.

You decide...
    Yep, I can see.

Good luck in your GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilym80)
    Also, given my lower-than-average leaving score and the fact that I haven't done maths in a couple of years, I was wondering if it would be worth doing an SAT Maths Subject Test to demonstrate that I have some ability in maths and would therefore be able to cope with the Economics part of the PPE degree? As my year 12 results do not give any indication of mathematical ability.

Thanks again.

Maths is not an essential requirement for PPE and selectors usually make offers to some candidates without A-level Maths (or equivalent) in most years. But Maths is certainly useful for PPE - not only for Economics but also Logic in the first year. It is also a subject which decays rapidly without regular maintenance - for example, graduates arriving in Oxford to begin Biomedical masters courses have to work quite hard to get up to speed in the initial Maths classes provided. I think if you have the time to invest on honing your Maths, this will pay off academically in the long run but I'm not sure that it will have much impact in terms of your application but clearly it can't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Maths is not an essential requirement for PPE and selectors usually make offers to some candidates without A-level Maths (or equivalent) in most years. But Maths is certainly useful for PPE - not only for Economics but also Logic in the first year. It is also a subject which decays rapidly without regular maintenance - for example, graduates arriving in Oxford to begin Biomedical masters courses have to work quite hard to get up to speed in the initial Maths classes provided. I think if you have the time to invest on honing your Maths, this will pay off academically in the long run but I'm not sure that it will have much impact in terms of your application but clearly it can't do any harm.
    I mean this with the greatest respect but....is that really true?!

It's just that PPE at LSE and UCL both require A* maths, so I always found it slightly strange that an Oxford application without maths wouldn't be seriously hindered.

I'm messing around, I don't doubt your advice, but I wondered if it's just that of course applicants without maths shouldn't be discouraged, but applicants with maths do stand a better chance in reality.

I ask because I'm in a quandary; I would love to apply for PPE but didn't choose maths. I'm even considering trying the whole maths A level in my A2 year.

But do you think I would be behind other applicants if in that case I would be applying only with a maths prediction, rather than the AS in the bag? I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem, by the sound of it.

Advice much appreciated! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    I mean this with the greatest respect but....is that really true?!

It's just that PPE at LSE and UCL both require A* maths, so I always found it slightly strange that an Oxford application without maths wouldn't be seriously hindered.

I'm messing around, I don't doubt your advice, but I wondered if it's just that of course applicants without maths shouldn't be discouraged, but applicants with maths do stand a better chance in reality.

I ask because I'm in a quandary; I would love to apply for PPE but didn't choose maths. I'm even considering trying the whole maths A level in my A2 year.

But do you think I would be behind other applicants if in that case I would be applying only with a maths prediction, rather than the AS in the bag? I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem, by the sound of it.

Advice much appreciated! Thanks.
    It is true maths is not a mandatory requirement and also true that some offers are made to applicants without maths. However, most successful candidates are taking maths and the having qualification is an advantage in coping with aspects of the first year.

Good luck with your own maths studies. If your school predictions and reference are strong the absence of AS will not be an issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.