Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totoro1997)
    Q19- in total there is 196 people since the table is cumilative. If you look at the 6g or less row, it gives you how many people consumes at the reccommened or below amount of salt which is 41. 41/196 * 100 roughly equals 20%. 100-20=80%.therefore the answer is D.
    Q30-it says that each application creates 12l or 1200ml of diluted liquid. On the first application if you add 1 and 15, it equals 16. 1200÷16=750 meaning 750ml of Greatgrass is used on first applicatation. after 3 hours, another application is made, 1200÷25=480 meaning 480ml of greatgrass is used. Therefore, you add 480 and 750 together making 1230ml meaning b is the answer.
    Q31. In total there is 200 pupils. The number of correct predictions for a-c grades is 90 and correct predictions for other grades is 60. 150/200 *100=75% meaning the answer is E
    Q42-not too sure about that one. Sorry
    Thank you very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated. Just wanted to ask if anyone could advise on any good AS/A Level boards offering Critical Thinking which has similar questions to our TSA test - as in the multiple-choice ones. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oluwabob)
    Is there a way to work out your actual score from your raw marks when you do past papers?

admissiontestingservice.com

-> TSA Oxford
    -> Practising
    -> Section 1
    -> Score conversion for the specific year

There you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulKrugman)
    No one is quite sure how they work out the final mark you get in the end though. Take a look at the old threads when people received results, you get scores x/25 (Crit) x/25 (Problem Solving) but your Total mark is not the average of these two. There is some slight weighting, but where is anyone's guess.
    It depends on the overall score of all test takers in either of the two sections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mountainwolf)
    Questions from CIE:

As part of a job interview, Iris has been given a memory test.
    She was given one minute to study a picture of a clock whose numbers 1 to 12 were a variety of
    colours.
    At the end of the minute she was confident of the following:
    • Four of the numbers were green, three were blue, three were yellow and two were red.
    • The three blue numbers were 2, 7 and 12.
    • Except for the two red numbers, no two neighbouring numbers were the same colour.
    • No pairs of opposite numbers (12 and 6, 1 and 7 etc.) had repeated colour combinations
    (so, for instance, two of the green numbers must have been opposite each other, since
    green cannot have been opposite blue, red or yellow twice).
    Now Iris has been asked to name the colour of each of the twelve numbers on the clock face.
    The information that Iris has memorised is sufficient for her to be certain of the colour of how
    many of the twelve numbers?
    A Three
    B Four
    C Eight
    D Twelve

Every month, when I pay my rent, the landlord gives me a bill for utilities. I know that all fixed
    charges are included in my monthly rent, so my extra bill for each utility is calculated by
    multiplying the number of units that I have used by the price per unit. I do not know which of gas,
    electricity and water I am being charged for. In the last four months I have recorded the number
    of units of each that I used and the amount that I was charged by the landlord.

Electricity (units) Gas (units) Water (units) Landlord’s bill ($)
    50 71 32 2.77
    53 71 34 2.81
    50 71 28 2.69
    54 74 35 2.92
    What am I being charged for?
    A Electricity and gas.
    B Electricity and water.
    C Gas and water.
    D Electricity, gas and water.
    Not sure about the first question But I managed to do the second one.

The first and third rows of the table have the same units of usage for both electricity and gas, but different for water. The usage of water fell by 4 units, and the landlords bill fell by $0.08. So this means they are being charged for water, and it's $0.02 per unit of water.

Now we can look at the first two rows of the table. We know that each unit of water is $0.02, so in the first row we can take the landlord's bill of $2.77 and take away the price of the 32 units of water. So we do $2.77-($0.02x32) which equals $2.13. We can do the same for the second row of the table. Take the landlord's bill of $2.81 and take away the price of the 34 units of water. So we do $2.81-($0.02x34) which also equals $2.13.

We can now see that, if you ignore the cost of the water, the first two rows would have the same landlord's bill of $2.13. The usage of electricity units is different in these two rows, yet the landlord's bill is the same. This means they are not being charged for electricity.

Obviously they are being charged for gas usage, because there is $2.13 left over.

So the answer is C, Gas and Water.

Sorry if this isn't a great explanation, if you have any questions about it please ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbrook)
    Please could someone help me with the 2012 paper Q: 19, 30, 31, 42

thank you
    Q19:

From the table you can see that, out of 100% of men, 11% eat 6g or less of salt per day. 100-11=89, so 89% of men eat above the recommended 6g of salt per day.

Out of 100% of women, 30% eat 6g or less of salt per day. 100-30=70, so 70% of women eat above the recommended 6g of salt per day.

We are to assume equal numbers of men and women in the population, so we just need to find the average of 89% and 70%. So you do (89+70)/2 which equals 79.5%. To the nearest 1% this is 80%.

So the answer is D, 80%.

Q30:

The first instructions ask for a ratio of 1:15 Greatgrass to water. This means that 1/16 of the 12 litres of diluted liquid will be Greatgrass. So you do 12,000ml/16 which equals 750ml.

Three hours later they need to use a ratio of 1:24 Greatgrass to water. This means that 1/25 of the 12 litres of diluted liquid will be Greatgrass. So you do 12,000ml/25 which equals 480ml.

750ml + 480ml = 1230ml.

So the answer is B, 1230ml.

Q31.

There are 200 pupils because 90+25+25+60=200. 90 people got who got Grades A-C in their mock exams also got Grades A-C in their GCSE exams. 60 people who got other grades in their mock exams also got other grades in their GCSE exams. 90+60=150. 150/200 = 0.75.

So the answer is E, 75.0%.

Q42.

The minute hand travels three times faster for the first half of a full turn as it does for the second half. This means that it must take 15 minutes for the first half of a turn, and 45 minutes for the second half, because 15 minutes is 3 times as fast as 45 minutes.

So for the second half of the rotation of the minute hand, from the number 6 to the number 12 on the clock, it will take 45 minutes. 45/2 = 22.5 minutes. So, by the time this rotation is half way done (when the clock shows quarter to the hour) it will actually be 22.5 minutes to the hour.

So the answer is D, 22.5 minutes to the hour.

I hope none of this was too confusing, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has the 2007 paper?

ReputationRep:
    On the first page on the TSA papers they tell you to write your PPE candidate number. Anyone who knows what that is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harshil1)
    Anyone who has the 2007 paper?
    This is the 2007 paper: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

Answer key: http://www.admissionstestingservice....answer-key.pdf

The year is mentioned in the little box at the end of the first page.

ReputationRep:
    How long after the TSA do they let you know about interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any good AS/A Level boards offering Critical Thinking which has similar questions to our TSA test - as in the multiple-choice ones. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1996)
    On the first page on the TSA papers they tell you to write your PPE candidate number. Anyone who knows what that is?
    When you registered for the TSA, you would have got a candidate number then I think. Ask your school's exam officer or whoever dealt with your TSA registration if you registered through school.

ReputationRep:

Thanks! So the specimen paper is actually the 2007 paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick M)
    How long after the TSA do they let you know about interviews?
    About up to 5 days at St. Peters. I don't know if it is similar to other colleges...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! So the specimen paper is actually the 2007 paper!
    No.
    The specimen is the specimen. If you have a look at the download link earlier in this thread you see that 2007 is has different questions and !no! answer sheet that we know of... that is the reason why we were discussing our answers before. Keep your eyes open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximator)
    No.
    The specimen is the specimen. If you have a look at the download link earlier in this thread you see that 2007 is has different questions and !no! answer sheet that we know of... that is the reason why we were discussing our answers before. Keep your eyes open

I saw on pages 11-12-13 that answers of the 2007 paper were being discussed. But I was told by the post quoted that the specimen is the 2007 paper!

ReputationRep:
    I saw on pages 11-12-13 that answers of the 2007 paper were being discussed. But I was told by the post quoted that the specimen is the 2007 paper!
    Specimen Paper and 2007 TSA are different. The specimen was simply published in 2007, too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again!

On 2013 how do you guys do Questions 37, 43, 48 and 50.

I would appreciate any general advice given on what is the best way to approach numerical reasoning questions mentally and
    does anyone know any handy tips and tricks for the more difficult assumptions, flaws, drawing conclusions and parallel reasoning questions,
    I get the basic concept, but I get caught out on the difference between the slightly more difficult ones as in these ones we have to spot things
    that aren't within the question and it could be the difference between 33 and 38 which could be interview or not.

So I get caught out on these numerical reasoning questions and the more difficult verbal reasoning questions which is Q35+

Kind regards,

ReputationRep:
    Just a query. Are questions on the TSA in increasing order of difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haiderraider)
    Hi again!

On 2013 how do you guys do Questions 37, 43, 48 and 50.

I would appreciate any general advice given on what is the best way to approach numerical reasoning questions mentally and
    does anyone know any handy tips and tricks for the more difficult assumptions, flaws, drawing conclusions and parallel reasoning questions,
    I get the basic concept, but I get caught out on the difference between the slightly more difficult ones as in these ones we have to spot things
    that aren't within the question and it could be the difference between 33 and 38 which could be interview or not.

So I get caught out on these numerical reasoning questions and the more difficult verbal reasoning questions which is Q35+

Kind regards,
    37:
    Each time it is activated it performs three DIFFERENT tunes. The shortest time would therefore be 40 s (10+15+15).

1h= 360 s

360 : 40 = 90 times

-> C

43:
    Quite hard one and I didn't get it right either.

This is what I did:

Normally it would take the train 51 minutes.

The specific day there was a 22 minute delay but the train went faster afterwards. So the total delay must be 22 minutes - the time saved through the faster speed.

In my opinion it would be:

22- (24-18) min = 16

But that's obviously wrong since it is not a possible answer.

48:

The two equations are:

R-3G-1B= 135
    4G+1B= 33

As we now that all the values of the coins/notes are multiples of each other. The only option would be G= 8 and B=1 because of the second equation.
    Solving the first one with the values leaves us with R =160.

160:8= 20

-> B

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.