x Turn on thread page Beta

Why DONT you want to be well paid? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Dude, because money is bae. Money = power = respect = get hotter girls
    That is superficially speaking. Jobs with a lot of money and power means a huge responsibility in most of the cases too. Not everyone is made for such positions. By the way why do you think that male employees are the only ones who are working in well paid jobs ("get hotter girls")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    That is superficially speaking. Jobs with a lot of money and power means a huge responsibility in most of the cases too. Not everyone is made for such positions.
    What's the point of a career if you don't have huge levels of responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    Dude, because money is bae. Money = power = respect = get hotter girls
    Are you being serious or is this some sort of parody?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What's the point of a career if you don't have huge levels of responsibility?
    I guess you don't get it. Yes, that means huge levels of responsibility, but not everyone of us fits to it. I know someone who is working up to 12 hours and is responsible for 250 workers, plus the project itself. She is an architect and is pretty well paid. Do you believe everyone would agree with these working conditions? do you really believe that there are no people who prefer a job which offers more free time for a private life?

ReputationRep:
    Well in my opinion I wouldn't go for a job whereby I receive less than £50k a year

ReputationRep:
    This thread is the epitome example for the stereotypical dumb-ass snobbish student who lives in their own fantasy land.

Just wait until you get into the real world.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by quentinhamilton)
    Well in my opinion I wouldn't go for a job whereby I receive less than £50k a year
    Quite. You, sir, have the right idea. All these young chaps settling for below 2 sixpence makes me ponder, I take it as a rather preposterous notion myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    x
    As you give an answer to my quote before I have edited my comment, I ask you the same twice: why do you think that male employees are the only ones who are working in well paid jobs ("get hotter girls")?

(Original post by MSI_10)
    This thread is the epitome example for the stereotypical dumb-ass snobbish student who lives in their own fantasy land.

There is nothing to be added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Quite. You, sir, have the right idea. All these young chaps settling for below 2 sixpence makes me ponder, I take it as a rather preposterous notion myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It’s also impartially selfish if I earn any less than that as it would be quite unfortunate for my parents who had paid school fees for me to earn comparatively nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)

awks, already got pro rata salary of above 50k.. what's the real world pls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    As you give an answer to my quote before I have edited my comment, I ask you the same twice: why do you think that male employees are the only ones who are working in well paid jobs ("get hotter girls")?
    Women can be lesbian, don't be homophobic m7+1
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Honestly, yeah sure the money's great - buy I'd prefer a job I enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably earning enough to be 'comfortable' and the next stage will involve considerably more hours... I'm 26 and looking at my travel list and realising how pitiful it is. I've barely made a dent. I don't want to spend my 20s wasting my life. I already get home so tired at night, spend my weekends recovering and studying.. I do enjoy my job though.

The trade-off isn't going to be worth it. I already have a partner, a house, a stable job... But with barely enough time to see my family as it is. Past a certain point, extra earnings is a diminishing return on happiness and quality of life.

We're taught that we need to chase the money, go through that sausage machine.. a big house means more respect... maybe that's enough if you're shallow and empty and happy with that.

My parents worked ridiculous hours. So ridiculous. They made their millions, but at the expense of their health (my mother had a something stroke-like from exhaustion..) and I almost lost a mother at a young age.

I've learnt from that, and although it's good to have a hard work ethic to get you to a stable point, it's not everything. So no thanks to that extra 50k, for that extra 40 hours of work a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Women can be lesbian, don't be homophobic m7+1
    Why do you think I am homophobic? :sigh: there were no evidences of homophobic thoughts in my comment. Don't be ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    I'm probably earning enough to be 'comfortable' and the next stage will involve considerably more hours... I'm 26 and looking at my travel list and realising how pitiful it is. I've barely made a dent. I don't want to spend my 20s wasting my life. I already get home so tired at night, spend my weekends recovering and studying.. I do enjoy my job though.

The trade-off isn't going to be worth it. I already have a partner, a house, a stable job... But with barely enough time to see my family as it is. Past a certain point, extra earnings is a diminishing return on happiness and quality of life.

We're taught that we need to chase the money, go through that sausage machine.. a big house means more respect... maybe that's enough if you're shallow and empty and happy with that.

My parents worked ridiculous hours. So ridiculous. They made their millions, but at the expense of their health (my mother had a something stroke-like from exhaustion..) and I almost lost a mother at a young age.

I've learnt from that, and although it's good to have a hard work ethic to get you to a stable point, it's not everything. So no thanks to that extra 50k, for that extra 40 hours of work a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    accounting? how is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    accounting? how is it?
    Although I've qualified as an accountant, my current role is not accountancy - although accounting does play a part in it- but when you work in finance, it almost always will do 😋

My past accounting experience is working at a FTSE 100 firm, as a management accountant for various business units. It can be exciting, you're involved closely with the business, involved in strategic meetings, forward planning.. You get to know the ins and outs and meet lots of people. But then there's the boring part too. The month ends. The variance analysis and reporting packs.. The budget process. Oh god, budgets.

I now work in corporate treasury.. Which I'm finding suits my interests more. It's pretty interesting relative to what I was doing before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of sympathy for people who just don't want to work all the time. As has been said, what's the point if you're not enjoying your life? Some people enjoy free time more than always feeling like they're achieving something big.

As for people who just have a particular job that they really want to do, they're talking about what they will do for the majority of your life. Money can't buy you another life in which to do the thing you want to do. If there's something you really want to get into, you just have to do it.

ReputationRep:
    awks, already got pro rata salary of above 50k.. what's the real world pls?
    you should not speak like that. This is exactly the attitude why investment bankers are often seen as being cocky and selfish and only living for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProjectNr2)
    you should not speak like that. This is exactly the attitude why investment bankers are often seen as being cocky and selfish and only living for the money.
    it's just bants

ReputationRep:
    it's just bants
    as i know you from the Spring Week thread i know that, but as you can easily see people don´t get your banter they just think you´re an *******^^

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.