Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by southernbelle123)
    Hi. It's probably different for postgrads than undergrads!
    That makes sense. Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Just wait for them to send you an email about college preferences. You can pick a first choice and a second choice. Remember that your department is at the Elvet Riverside building (just east of the peninsula), so the Bailey colleges and Hild Bede are the closest, or you can aim for the more northern Hill colleges. Unless college proximity doesn't matter as much to you than, say, ensuite accommodation. Anyways, most of the college websites have an intro video so you can get a sense about how they are. There are many variables to consider when picking a college. I suggest going through the details of all the colleges (skip the two Stockton campus ones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviamalona)
    I have already applied, and i accepted my offer yesterday. I was told I would be contacted in order to select a college. I don't remember putting down a preference on my application for the uni?
    I think you will receive an email soon where you put down two or three choices of college. I did it after I accepted my offer. I am in University College, it's definitely popular and over-subscribed, but are you taking university accommodation? I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard that if you don't need accommodation then you're pretty likely to get your first choice of college because they don't have to worry about having the space to house you. I live in rented accommodation and I got University College which was my first choice, so I guess that might have had something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Durham for Ancient History and college Van Mildert!

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me exactly which ones are the "hill colleges"? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm trying to go off what I can find on the website and the only one I know for sure is St. Mary's.

Any opinions on St Cuthbert?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me exactly which ones are the "hill colleges"? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm trying to go off what I can find on the website and the only one I know for sure is St. Mary's.

Any opinions on St Cuthbert?
    The "Hill Colleges" are Collingwood, Grey, Butler, St Aidan's, St Mary's, Trevelyan and Van Mildert. The "Bailey Colleges" are Hatfield, St Chad's, St Cuthbert's, St John's and University. St Hild & St Bede is on its own by the river. From what I've heard St Cuthbert's is supposed to be a very nice college. You can have fully catered, part catered or self catered accommodation. It's a mix of modern and traditional - they have a historic Bailey site and a modern self catered site. It's one of the larger colleges. I met a few students from there at the open day and they were really nice so it should be a good college to be in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! Hopefully I'm nearing the end of my questions...about general life on campus, are students allowed onto other colleges? For instance if I chose St. Cuthbert's, would I be allowed to use the bar in castle or go to the celebrations held in castle, or are the facilities and activities strictly for those in that college.

Sorry if these are silly questions, we don't really have the college system in the US so it's very new to me.

ReputationRep:
    And does anyone know if Durham Cathedral is part of a college or open to everyone?

ReputationRep:
    And does anyone know if Durham Cathedral is part of a college or open to everyone?
    It's extremely close to University College, but it's not a part of it, I don't think, and it's open to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! Hopefully I'm nearing the end of my questions...about general life on campus, are students allowed onto other colleges? For instance if I chose St. Cuthbert's, would I be allowed to use the bar in castle or go to the celebrations held in castle, or are the facilities and activities strictly for those in that college.

Sorry if these are silly questions, we don't really have the college system in the US so it's very new to me.
    Hi. Generally you can use the facilities of other colleges as a guest, if the event is not restricted to that college. So typically you could attend formal dinners at another college but someone would have to invite you. Typically the college bars are open to all every night but on the odd occasion they might be restricted to members of that college.

ReputationRep:
    The Cathedral is not part of the university and is open to all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuthsalumni)
    Hi. Generally you can use the facilities of other colleges as a guest, if the event is not restricted to that college. So typically you could attend formal dinners at another college but someone would have to invite you. Typically the college bars are open to all every night but on the odd occasion they might be restricted to members of that college.
    Thank you, that's super helpful. Can I assume that you were in St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of putting that as my first choice. Do they do a lot of activities as a college? Would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's super helpful. Can I assume that you were in St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of putting that as my first choice. Do they do a lot of activities as a college? Would you recommend it?
    Chad's rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by game well and truly over)
    Chad's rules!
    Haha, thank you for the advice. I liked how small St. Chad's was but I'm really hoping for ensuite and I couldn't find much information on the St. Chad's pg accommodation besides that it's only 56% ensuite, which makes me nervous. I do love that they seem to have a lot of activities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by game well and truly over)
    Chad's rules!
    Definitely, it was absolutely amazing! Did you go to the open day?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm from the US, I won't have an opportunity to visit campus at all. I'm going totally off what I can find online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire321)
    Definitely, it was absolutely amazing! Did you go to the open day?
    Yes I did... I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trubadur)
    :five:Very pleased,too as CUTH's was the college I applied for
    We still have time to decide, for the moment I am mostly considering catered for the first year(lazy girl).In this case Bailey should be the best solution.
    I went to Durham a few months ago and fell in love with it! I do think I will be on Parsons field though, I like cooking for myself How is the revision going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauraalice.)
    I went to Durham a few months ago and fell in love with it! I do think I will be on Parsons field though, I like cooking for myself How is the revision going?
    Never been to Durham, but I felt it should be better than StAndrews, Edinburgh, Nott or York
    For the first year, I guess I would prefer catered.
    Things are on their good way, waiting for the final exams
    Good luck and see you in autumn

ReputationRep:
    As DURHAM fans, please give your support in "The Russell group hurt/heal game" thread.
    We need your daily votes to place Durham
    Thanks and congrats

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.