Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es0phagus)
    Simply reading is not good enough, unless you are innately good at these tests, you have to practise. Believe me, you're only deceiving yourself that you are revising. I do not need to make much effort with s1 because I understand what is to be expected from it generally. You have to get familiar with all the ways questions may be posed, e.g. inference, and practise building your sharpness on such tasks -- only practise helps here. This broadly applies to every section.
    To elaborate on my earlier post I have to repeat what es0phagus says, all the materials go alongside LOTS of practise. Make sure you do plenty of timed practise tests. Make sure all of your essays are hand-written and timed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolkat95)
    Hey guys
    I'm planning to take the GAMSAT this September and was wondering where I can fine the past paper questions for practice?
    And thanks to all who've put up suggestions for revision tips and resources, they all look really helpful
    There are no past papers available. You have to make do with the official ACER practise tests and other third party mock tests, some of which are better than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    There are no past papers available. You have to make do with the official ACER practise tests and other third party mock tests, some of which are better than others.
    Be extra weary of that last point, I've found a few 'mock exams' that have completely wrong answers, poor grammar or sometimes unit text that contradicts itself. Official papers are the best (and naturally, have to be purchased 😒)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

For those of you prepping for the GAMSAT - good luck!
    I did the GAMSAT last September and I'm looking to sell al my books/ resources.
    Goldstandard 2015
    ACER past papers
    "Written communication for GAMSAT by eira make peace"
    "MCAT critical analysis and reasoning skills review"
    "MCAT verbal reasoning and writing review"
    "MCAT 101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning"
    Lett's as&a2 biology ( single book)
    Lett's as &a2 physics ( single book)
    Lett's as&a2 chemistry ( come as two seperate books)
    A gradmed strategy guide- annotatedgradmed written communication guides - annotated And 8 gradmed science past papers w/ answers- unannotated
    I think I also have the gradmed recordings somewhere and some electronic resources which I bought online from various other courses (like des O' neil & griffiths )

Ideally I'd like to sell them all together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomad_22)
    Hey, Thank you! I'm starting to feel like "work smart" has caused a lot of controversy lol. What I meant was I basically adjusted my revision technique to suit my learning style, and instead of overwhelming myself with resources (as i did on my first attempt), I merely focused more on sections I felt I could easily improve.

I completely neglected S1 because I knew i'd inadvertently prepare for it in my S2 revision. For S2, instead of focusing on newspaper articles and current affairs I literally read the majority of AC Grayling's books; his essays are a great example of how to write if you hope to score comfortably well in S2. Also, a few of his books carry a lot of socio-economical/ socio-cultural context so if you ever need any examples to refer to in your essays I would recommend getting them (I'll leave a list at the bottom). In terms of actual prep, i think i wrote about 3-4 essays a week, for the 2 months leading up to the exam, and I basically used Grayling's writing style as a guideline to how I wanted my work to come across to the examiner. In his books he covers a range of topics and In both my GAMSAT attempts the essay prompts have been on topics that I fortunately read about in some of his work - in fact I was so lucky this time as I'd read an essay in the morning on a topic that came up in the exam.

For S3 I pretty much ditched the paper work (no A level text books or written revision material) and focused more on Khan Academy videos. I'm mostly an audio-visual learner so the videos were perfect (If anything, for some topics they went into more detail than necessary). The Organic Chem section on Khan academy is quite good, and so is the Humanities section under MCAT prep if you're getting bored of reading/writing essays.

For S3 Physics, I didn't spend too much time learning the theory but focused more on rearranging formaluae. Usually I'd get quite intimidated by the physics questions, but second time round I found myself making confident/intelligent guesses by simply playing around with the formulae provided. I also tutor maths and have done it at A level so this was something I picked up quite quickly.

Ultimately, I think its more about finding what works for you tbh. Just because what i've said above worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work wonders for someone else. The one thing I can say though is to try and limit your resources; find something that works for you and stick to it! On my first attempt i felt like having all the test papers, all the books, CDs, etc would guarantee me a great score, but in the end I just felt overwhelmed and didn't even manage to get through all my resources. Also, leave about a comfortable 4-3 weeks for exam practice, the exam is just as much about endurance as it is about knowledge - if your mental stamina is not great, you'll find it difficult to concentrate half way through S3.

AC Grayling books I used:
    The meaning of things (most students get this one)
    The heart of Things (Favorite one)
    The form of things
    The mystery of things (Really good historical anecdotes)
    The Form of things
    What is good? The search for the best way to life (great essays on moral and ethical topics)

Hope all the waffle helps! Good luck!
    Hi,
    Thanks for the great advice! I was wondering did you buy all these AC Grayling books?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I'm starting to have a slight panic that there is so much that I nee to revise for the Gamsat and so little time

I know the Gold Standard book has very mixed reviews but I have been able to borrow a copy from my university library. I have started working through the timed mini tests in the humanities section and have found them really hard. Can those that have already done the exam let me know if these questions are of typical standard in regards difficulty level or easier/ harder than the real thing.

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssjt)
    Hi Everyone

I'm starting to have a slight panic that there is so much that I nee to revise for the Gamsat and so little time

I know the Gold Standard book has very mixed reviews but I have been able to borrow a copy from my university library. I have started working through the timed mini tests in the humanities section and have found them really hard. Can those that have already done the exam let me know if these questions are of typical standard in regards difficulty level or easier/ harder than the real thing.

Many Thanks
    I can only speak for the 2015 edition but I felt after the ACER tests it was the closest practise test to the exam I had taken. That's comparing it to Griffiths and Des O'Neill materials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_Fernandes)
    Hi,
    Thanks for the great advice! I was wondering did you buy all these AC Grayling books?
    Hey! No worries. Yh, I bought all the AC Grayling books i used and they were quite reasonably priced on Amazon too. I think a few of them ranged between £1 - 3 for a new copy so hopefully pricing shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless, they're only for temporary use so if you really want to be economic you could always opt for second hand copies

ReputationRep:
    i pretty much winged the 2016 ireland GAMSAT, didnt have enough time to study as much as i wanted to and got a 52. The science section wasn't strong on chem so i thought I did good, I guess my biology
    wasn't as good as i thought The essays though, I just struggle to do them! Maybe part A I could struggle to contrast things but I never understood part B. It's a personal essay and I was wondering how other
    people approached this type of essay? I just tried to use imaginative situations and what ifs scenarios to try and approach it which may not be the best way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain127)
    i pretty much winged the 2016 ireland GAMSAT, didnt have enough time to study as much as i wanted to and got a 52. The science section wasn't strong on chem so i thought I did good, I guess my biology
    wasn't as good as i thought The essays though, I just struggle to do them! Maybe part A I could struggle to contrast things but I never understood part B. It's a personal essay and I was wondering how other
    people approached this type of essay? I just tried to use imaginative situations and what ifs scenarios to try and approach it which may not be the best way to do it.
    For type b essays I made up stories that were full of feelings and emotions, mostly stealing something I had vaguely heard of happening to someone else and making out it happened to me. My antithesis was how people on the other side of these situations would feel and I tried to tie it up with some great claim of personal growth. I def think my type a ones were stronger though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain127)
    I didn't even apply a thesis/anti-thesis/conclusion structure to my B essays. Instead I used personal anecdotes and stories to showcase how I had learnt something, or how the theme had affected me, what I learnt from it, how I implemented those changes into my life, and why.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! i just finished studying optometry at uni and now staring my pre reg in about a week. I am applying for graduate entry into medicine so i am going to apply during my pre reg year so this year for 2017 entry. i signed up for the GAMSAT exam entry today for september 2016. This gives me just over two months to revise for the exam whilst also doing my training as an optician. I have previosuly studied chem and bio at A levels but i have to go through them again since its been three years too long. Would someone be able to suggest the best ways to prepare for each of the three sections. i am starting to thinking i dont really have a good section

If anyone is from manchester, london or brighton, we can meet up or make a whatsapp group to study together and perhaps help one another.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! If anyone is interested in the Des Oneill courses I have all three of the most recent ones as electronic photocopies (£5) per booklet. Just PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taqiiiiiii)
    hey guys! i just finished studying optometry at uni and now staring my pre reg in about a week. I am applying for graduate entry into medicine so i am going to apply during my pre reg year so this year for 2017 entry. i signed up for the GAMSAT exam entry today for september 2016. This gives me just over two months to revise for the exam whilst also doing my training as an optician. I have previosuly studied chem and bio at A levels but i have to go through them again since its been three years too long. Would someone be able to suggest the best ways to prepare for each of the three sections. i am starting to thinking i dont really have a good section

If anyone is from manchester, london or brighton, we can meet up or make a whatsapp group to study together and perhaps help one another.

Thanks
    Since you're short on time my advice is to buy all four acer practice papers and sit them under exam conditions. Once you've done this use the gold standard you tube channel and go through the worked solutions to section three. Do this again and again and again until you're aware of the question formats in your sleep. You could group similar questions together. Kinda like problem based learning. You could then branch off and study more on areas youre struggling on.

S1 - same thing, practice the questions again and again, look for patterns

S2 - write essays over and over, try to get together with some others in a study group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone want to join a study group in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asarev)
    Does anyone want to join a study group in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd definitely be interested! For GAMSAT, I presume? Where in London are you based?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in west london but we can meet somewhere central

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asarev)
    I'm in west london but we can meet somewhere central

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also West London but I'm willing to meet people anywhere. Has anyone else contacted you yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

Hope revision for the exam is going well.

I'm still going through science sections writing notes.

September seems to be approaching faster than I'd like it to

:goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow nurses - junaid+ Liam, I am so glad i bumped into you guys. I am also a student nurse, unfortunately, it looks as though I'll b stuck with a 2.2. I have just found out that st George's do not accept 2.2s anymore. If you guys have started your revision, what advice would you give ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.