The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know a method for working out the force on a pulley when there are 2 inclined slopes involved?
lads is there like a list with the grade boundaries for every m1 paper?

I'm trying to find the hardest m1 papers I since I plan to do about 4 tomorrow. I already know about gold papers. Now I'm just looking for a year where the paper in general was dodgy

Original post by RedDevil1997
Does anyone know a method for working out the force on a pulley when there are 2 inclined slopes involved?
Isn't it the exact same way as a normal pulley question? Working out the tension takes slightly longer. But working out the force on a pulley is done using the same method as if there was only 1 inclined slope. So still just 2Tcos(half of the angle).

But someone correct me if I'm wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
lads is there like a list with the grade boundaries for every m1 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be here matey
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6iYFSd7LYMlZE5vck4wSXJHR3c/view?usp=drivesdk
I know all the topics really well but always lose 10-12 marks in papers i NEED to get FULL UMS any tips/advice?
Original post by AlvlVictim
I know all the topics really well but always lose 10-12 marks in papers i NEED to get FULL UMS any tips/advice?

Remember all the questions you get wrong and make a paper of them....make sure you understand the concept of the method....getting something wrong shows a lack in knowledge...so find out where your gap in knowledge os and correct it..

If you drop marks because of a dumb error (i do all the time) then i wouldnt worry too much as past papers are usually done at the end of a long day of revision...your brain is tired and your less focused, just make sure you dont go into exams too exhausted and your alot kess likely to make silly errors

cheers. Looking manually at every grade boundary for all my maths units was taking way too long
Is it just me, or - you know the questions with a part i) and ii), I always end up solving the ii) part first! Will this be a problem in the real thing?
Hi guys I'm just wondering (because I'm awful at Vectors lol) what is the same for when, say 2 particles collide or when 2 ships meet?

Is t the same for both?
The distance?

I have no idea I've seen questions where I've used both
Original post by KINGYusuf
Hi guys I'm just wondering (because I'm awful at Vectors lol) what is the same for when, say 2 particles collide or when 2 ships meet?

Is t the same for both?
The distance?

The position vector is the same when they meet....everythung else is likely different
Original post by philo-jitsu
The position vector is the same when they meet....everythung else is likely different

okay thank you sorry for sounding dumb lol

Is t the same for both?
The distance?

if they set off at the same time then they will meet at the same time when they have the same S value
Original post by Person18
Is it just me, or - you know the questions with a part i) and ii), I always end up solving the ii) part first! Will this be a problem in the real thing?

Try to get rid of that habit - you can lose quite a lot of marks.
Original post by KloppOClock
if they set off at the same time then they will meet at the same time when they have the same S value

What if their velocities are different?
Reply 473
I hate vectors i cannot do them. What are the different things they will ask you to work out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they collide, they collide you know? It doesn't matter if they were going at different velocities; they still collided at the same time!

it doesnt matter if their velocities are different. You know that at the time they meet they have the same value of R in R= r0+vt.

Unless you mean the question "but if they have different velocities, how do we know that they ever meet?", well it would tell you in the question that they do.
Original post by KloppOClock
it doesnt matter if their velocities are different. You know that at the time they meet they have the same value of R in R= r0+vt.

Unless you mean the question "but if they have different velocities, how do we know that they ever meet?", well it would tell you in the question that they do.

Thank you very much, sorry I'm just really bad at Vectors lol
Thank you very much, sorry I'm just really bad at Vectors lol

img019.jpg
Can anyone explain how to draw a triangle of forces for this? The strings are light and inextensible, the line AB ks horizontal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 479
Can anyone explain how to draw a triangle of forces for this? The strings are light and inextensible, the line AB ks horizontal

Posted from TSR Mobile

tensions up the strings and weight vertically down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending