Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    I was thinking...maybe they'd word it differently for where sovereignty gone, something like to what extent is the uk still a unitary constitution? Or to what extent is the uk a federal constitution...tell me ya thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yuk
    thats horrible
    what sort of things would you mention lool

ReputationRep:
    really annoyed because unit 1 was a good chance of making pressure of unit 2 reduced but then the exam happened. hope they dont add some unit 3 stuff in instead of constitution like they did yesterday ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    The only way the Constitutional Reform Act took away powers from the PM was by replacing the PM appointing judicial appointments to the JAC
    Fair point. Thanks for clearing that up

Do you think that issues of pooled and popular sovereignty would be related to this question? From what I've understood, but maybe I'm wrong, is that federal refers to shared sovereignty, but is that basically pooled sovereignty in some way? Pooled means getting some from others in return, but there is a distribution among more than one body.

ReputationRep:
    quote or reply if you have any predictions

ReputationRep:
    anyone know of points to make saying that the judiciary is not independent? neutrality is easy, but I genuinely don't think there is anything to suggest the judiciary is not independent

ReputationRep:
    Yeah okay thanks for clarifying it, I didn't know for sure if unitary and federal just meant internal country factors..so it's practically impossible to have an essay question on it cause there's only devolution to talk about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    unitary constitution is when all power is located in the centre right and federal is where power is dispersed at different level and cannot be removed right?

Or have i confused them?

ReputationRep:
    unit 1 i knew the answers to everything people were asking on this thread. then theres unit 2

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was thinking, popular sovereignty could defiantly be included as to some extent the people do have the power...or political sovereignty where the government realistically has the power
    You're right it is a tough question...but I'm glad I thought of it if that **** comes up so we all won't be screwed if the 1% it can come up it does
    Cheers for your in put too ...do you think then there's a chance it could come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope it doesn't. But I'm starting to question whether it might actually come up, considering the issue of sovereignty is so big right now. But who knows. Who can predict edexcel anymore! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    yuk
    thats horrible
    what sort of things would you mention lool
    I mentioned devolution and Europe and then another person helped by saying popular sovereignty and the Supreme Court but I'm still not 100% sure you can talk about external factors so I ain't sure if it could actually come up as an essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    unitary constitution is when all power is located in the centre right and federal is where power is dispersed at different level and cannot be removed right?

Or have i confused them?
    No you've got it the right way...it's just if federal can include giving power away to organisations outside of the country that's just the question I have at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    I hope it doesn't. But I'm starting to question whether it might actually come up, considering the issue of sovereignty is so big right now. But who knows. Who can predict edexcel anymore! :laugh:
    I know 😕it's a tough one, you're right it's a joke! I don't think predictions for this will work 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Hope everyone's first exam went well!
    Just wanna ask if anyone had any idea how to answer a 2010 reform question and do you think 'access the uks constitutional principles could come up as a question?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    yeah I am as well
    Yup I'm leaving out the constitution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    anyone know of points to make saying that the judiciary is not independent? neutrality is easy, but I genuinely don't think there is anything to suggest the judiciary is not independent
    Law society trains judges (autonomous), security of tenure, paid from Consolidated fund = independent from Parliament

ReputationRep:
    Fair point. Thanks for clearing that up

Do you think that issues of pooled and popular sovereignty would be related to this question? From what I've understood, but maybe I'm wrong, is that federal refers to shared sovereignty, but is that basically pooled sovereignty in some way? Pooled means getting some from others in return, but there is a distribution among more than one body.
    I don't think the Supreme Court is pooling sovereignty no, I wouldn't mention it just to be sure

ReputationRep:
    I know 😕it's a tough one, you're right it's a joke! I don't think predictions for this will work 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally, I don't want to have to do the constitution all together. I'd want Parliament and PM & Cabinet. Judiciary and constitution give me a headache.. unitary.. federal.. unwritten not to be confused with uncodified.. popular, legal, political, pooled sovereignty .. makes me cry. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    Law society trains judges (autonomous), security of tenure, paid from Consolidated fund = independent from Parliament
    you misread my post, evidence to suggest it is NOT independent

i'm pretty sure there is none tbh

ReputationRep:
    How would people answer To what extent is there conflict in the UK between judgesand government ministers?
    Any plans or ideas?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    just thought could you talk about the supreme court and how the judges can check against the HRA

then along with popular sovereignity eg referendums elections pressure groupsetc, HRA, devolution then that might be enough to talk about? idk if HRA counts as an international treaty though idkkkk

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't want to have to do the constitution all together. I'd want Parliament and PM & Cabinet. Judiciary and constitution give me a headache.. unitary.. federal.. unwritten not to be confused with uncodified.. popular, legal, political, pooled sovereignty .. makes me cry. :bawling:
    I know, judiciary is a nightmare...parliament and constitution are kinda linked so it's not as bad like with the sovereignty part...it's just all the reforms for the constitution and having to analyse them 😴

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.