Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    So glad you've changed your mind :lol:
    I left myself open to that one

ReputationRep:
    The point is that the petition is a complete waste of time, nothing is going to happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Dublin and Frankfurt gain in the long run but an independent UK is far more likely to make London a tax haven than chase the rich away. We'll be fine whether in London or Leeds.
    Well under the torries yeah. That said if the economy is quite turbulent until then they could end up on the losing end of the next election. Doubt there will be any tax haven's under the likes of Jezza, though I'd be surprised if he is still in control by then.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stev43219)
    Your attitude of name calling and fear is exactly why the remain camp lost
    right, because there was no fear and name calling on the leave side.

You are deluded to think that both sides were not equally as bad, at least the 'fear' that the remain side have talked about was actually accurate and backed up by reputable economists etc. Leave on the other hand was much more of a propaganda campaign that resembled Nazi Germany more than the UK, it really did make me sick that so many just goebbeled it up as fact. In fact now that I think about it, leave side was definitely worse than remain, yet they won, so no, name calling and fear had nothing to do with the remain side loss.

The main reason, in my opinion, was an unrepresented class who simply had no idea what they were even doing were given a say in something they knew nothing about. Little Englanders played apart also, but it was those who didn't usually vote in anything that won it. Funny thing is, it is those same people who will pay the price for it, sadly they are making us pay for it also.

Just to avoid opening a whole new can of worms, I'm not for one second saying everything the remain camp said was true/will come true.

ReputationRep:
    2.13 million signatures now... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.
    I disagree. It's taking the vote away from the uneducated ignorants who do not understand the gravitas of the referendum.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jneill)
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 2 million signatures.
    This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.
    Very sad that 2 million people don't believe in democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    I disagree. It's taking the vote away from the uneducated ignorants who do not understand the gravitas of the referendum.
    Oh, the irony.

Your sentence is similar to saying "uneducated stupids". You mean "ignoramuses".

ReputationRep:
    There is no second referendum. But be strong. All the best. Have a good day, and good health.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4186437

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I really don't think it's against democracy. It's more about the fact that so many people who voted leave want to change their vote or weren't truly aware of implications, etc.

It isn't undemocratic to have a second vote - with our PM, EU commissioner, and potentially countries, abandoning us, circumstances HAVE changed and inevitably people's opinions will have, too.

I doubt it will achieve anything but instead i hope it makes government not activate the leave treaty...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An exercise in futility :lol:

What's done is done and we'll have to just get on with it :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    Well, wait to see how the 'uneducated ignorants' respond to being overruled days after having their say.

The least grave scenario is UKIP absolutely dominating the north and the midlands in the next GE.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the .json format and search for "United Kingdom" you'll see that only 359,962 are voters who live in the UK.

Numbers accurate as of 19:34.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    If you look at the .json format and search for "United Kingdom" you'll see that only 359,962 are voters who live in the UK.

Numbers accurate as of 19:34.
    Yes but if you scroll down further than that you see a breakdown by UK region

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Lol ok, when exactly did petitioning and freedom of expression become less democratic than a lead of 3.8% of the voting population being considered a large enough to decide the entire future of our country? In what world is it democratic to put forward such a drastic motion for a population which barely half the voting public wanted -- and now a huge portion of no longer want. The referendum results do not reflect the current views of the general public, it's perfectly democratic for the public to wish for a second referendum on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    Yes but if you scroll down further than that you see a breakdown by UK region
    What does that matter? Unless I've got something wrong the UK count is the total number of those voters detailed under region below.

ReputationRep:
    Remain campaign in a nutshell. And you wonder why Leave won....

ReputationRep:
    According to Sky Data, only 36% of 18-24 year olds bothered voting. Just an interesting statistic...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Desi123)
    Did you see the top reply to that tweet?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 19.49.49.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  145.3 KB

Also
    https://waitingfortax.com/2016/06/24...-i-mean-maybe/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.