The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Natsuko
Ah yeah, that rings a bell. So, in a card to my friends I could just put "明けましておめでとう"? Or would the 明けまして have to be different? Or is it a set phrase... I'm just a beginner so bare with me! Thank-you :yep:

明けまして - informal (close friends)
あけましておめでとう - plain (friends etc)
あけましておめでとうございます - polite (superiors, seniors etc etc...)
Reply 461
kimoso
Hahahaha I'll keep that in mind :wink2:

I've already got an offer from the uni I want to go to anyway so I'm not all that bothered.

Which is that, Sheffield? I have offers from SOAS (which, to my suprise, has found it's way to the top of my list. Still have yet to go and see it but I have a good 'feeling' :p:), Leeds and Sheffield :yep: aparently Edinburgh don't make offers until March time... Which is a bit silly because if I decide to put SOAS as my firm, the accomodation applications thingy (my english is so beautiful) opens in March and its first-come first-served (don't want to have to find a house in London!). Hey ho :smile:
Reply 462
gaijin
明けまして - informal (close friends)
あけましておめでとう - plain (friends etc)
あけましておめでとうございます - polite (superiors, seniors etc etc...)

Ah okies, thank-you!! :biggrin: very much appreciated :yep:
Reply 463
Natsuko
Which is that, Sheffield? I have offers from SOAS (which, to my suprise, has found it's way to the top of my list. Still have yet to go and see it but I have a good 'feeling' :p:), Leeds and Sheffield :yep: aparently Edinburgh don't make offers until March time... Which is a bit silly because if I decide to put SOAS as my firm, the accomodation applications thingy (my english is so beautiful) opens in March and its first-come first-served (don't want to have to find a house in London!). Hey ho :smile:

Yes, Sheffield :biggrin: I also have offers from Leeds and Manchester which is cool. I'm not too bothered about Edinburgh really, I have no intention of going there with the offers I've already got :smile:
Reply 464
kimoso
Yes, Sheffield :biggrin: I also have offers from Leeds and Manchester which is cool. I'm not too bothered about Edinburgh really, I have no intention of going there with the offers I've already got :smile:

I want to get an offer from Edinburgh to prove my Head of Sixth Form wrong - she thinks that they like to "look after their own" and try to avoid letting non-scots in where possible! Terrible. And also, if I decide I want to go to SOAS I need a reserve and I'd like to have a choice between two (don't really want to go to Sheffield so I've discounted that lol) :smile:
Reply 465
Natsuko
I want to get an offer from Edinburgh to prove my Head of Sixth Form wrong - she thinks that they like to "look after their own" and try to avoid letting non-scots in where possible! Terrible. And also, if I decide I want to go to SOAS I need a reserve and I'd like to have a choice between two (don't really want to go to Sheffield so I've discounted that lol) :smile:

It's true that they favour Scottish applicants, it's even in their admissions policy. :smile: Why don't you want to go to Sheffield?
Reply 466
kimoso
It's true that they favour Scottish applicants, it's even in their admissions policy. :smile: Why don't you want to go to Sheffield?

:eek: how rude. Well most people think I should put Leeds as my insurance anyway but, as I said, it would be nice to have the choice. But then on the other hand, it would save me alot of headache if I didn't get an offer from Edinburgh! I'm a bit indecisive :p:

Sheffield just didn't appeal to me when I went on the open day. It just seemed very tired and I wasn't too impressed by the Modern Languages talk. But I'll give it a fair chance and go on one of the faculty open days, just to make sure I'm not making a mistake!
Reply 467
Natsuko
:eek: how rude. Well most people think I should put Leeds as my insurance anyway but, as I said, it would be nice to have the choice. But then on the other hand, it would save me alot of headache if I didn't get an offer from Edinburgh! I'm a bit indecisive :p:

Sheffield just didn't appeal to me when I went on the open day. It just seemed very tired and I wasn't too impressed by the Modern Languages talk. But I'll give it a fair chance and go on one of the faculty open days, just to make sure I'm not making a mistake!

Hahaha didn't you go to the East Asian Studies talk?
Reply 468
kimoso
Hahaha didn't you go to the East Asian Studies talk?

That was at 2 and the Modern Languages was in the morning... It's a long drive home and we didn't feel we wanted to stay. What was it like? Plus, the whole city looked very run-down and tired. I didn't (and don't) really see myself there tbh.
Reply 469
Umm, hey. I'd really really really like to start learning Japanese but I literally have no idea where to start. None of my schools offered me a Japanese course, but I've done latin and French, and they were both very successful for me.

Umm, any tips for a complete beginner?
Reply 470
Loo
Umm, hey. I'd really really really like to start learning Japanese but I literally have no idea where to start. None of my schools offered me a Japanese course, but I've done latin and French, and they were both very successful for me.

Umm, any tips for a complete beginner?

My advice would be to start with the writing system, since alot books and internet sites use this alongside the roman alphabet (this one) and some don't even use it at all for writing Japanese. Search Kana in google and see what it comes up with, or just search "Japanese writing system" for an explanation on how it works. You can usually learn vocabulary as you go along, since examples will use Japanese words. Then there's grammar. I would say that there is no easy way to go about this but I have a book that is fantastic - "Japanese the Manga Way" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japanese-Manga-Way-Illustrated-Structure/dp/1880656906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228487454&sr=8-1. Good explanations in a real life context.
Or you could pay for a teacher :smile:
Hope that's helped! Good luck!
Reply 471
Natsuko
My advice would be to start with the writing system, since alot books and internet sites use this alongside the roman alphabet (this one) and some don't even use it at all for writing Japanese. Search Kana in google and see what it comes up with, or just search "Japanese writing system" for an explanation on how it works. You can usually learn vocabulary as you go along, since examples will use Japanese words. Then there's grammar. I would say that there is no easy way to go about this but I have a book that is fantastic - "Japanese the Manga Way" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japanese-Manga-Way-Illustrated-Structure/dp/1880656906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228487454&sr=8-1. Good explanations in a real life context.
Or you could pay for a teacher :smile:
Hope that's helped! Good luck!

Reply 472
Loo

Oh and I just remembered, a good book for learning to read and write Japanese is "Teach Yourself: Japanese Script" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japanese-Manga-Way-Illustrated-Structure/dp/1880656906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228487454&sr=8-1 some of the descriptions and explanations are a odd but I highly recommend it ^^
Start with the kana - hiragana first, then katakana.

I used these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Learn-Hiragana-Japanese-Writing/dp/0870117092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228495696&sr=8-1

That's the hiragana one. Doesn't give you tips on how to remember though - like no stories or whatever. Good 'tests' though and exercises with lots of vocab.

Some people like James Heisig. Different way of learning:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remembering-Kana-Reading-Japanese-Syllabaries/dp/0824831640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228495769&sr=1-1

You don't learn it in the order (from the vowels a i u e o): just the vowels, ka ki ku ke ko etc, s, t, n, h, m, y, r, w - as he does it his own way.

He uses mnemonics - like stories attached to each sign. But no exercises or 'tests', little vocab too.
Reply 474
franpgb
Start with the kana - hiragana first, then katakana.

I used these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Learn-Hiragana-Japanese-Writing/dp/0870117092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228495696&sr=8-1

That's the hiragana one.

Some people like James Heisig. Different way of learning:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remembering-Kana-Reading-Japanese-Syllabaries/dp/0824831640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228495769&sr=1-1

You don't learn it in the order (from the vowels a i u e o): just the vowels, ka ki ku ke ko etc, s, t, n, h, m, y, r, w - as he does it his own way.

He uses mnemonics - like stories attached to each sign.
So've you learnt them now? :teeth:
Erm. I've been kind of distracted lately so I haven't done much recently. Doesn't help that my room's in a complete state. I know the katakana roughly but not really. Know hiragana of course. I need to study after work from now on - must clear a space in my room but I always seem to be busy :frown: Not good. Will study when travelling though too.
Reply 476
Katakana is soliiiiid. Good luck :yy:
:shifty: Thanks. I'll be fine with it man. Got loads of time - months and months. Will learn some kanji too whilst travelling, though no words or sentence structure thingys or grammar etc. Not good.
Reply 478
It'll be fine to leave it till uni. Then they can mould you to talk how they want.
Oh that's true. Good point. Well I printed out the first textbook (took me soooo long), Basic Kanji Book 1, so I can take that away with me or just copy out of it and take my cheap paper copy to Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest