The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Low taxation are not subsidies and the EU has no power as yet to enforce a minimum tax rate at a pan-European schedule.
    Low taxation can be a subsidy if enforced in a way which gives peculiar benefits to certain individuals and/or corporations.

Only in the EU (you still have places like the Caymans) and also you'd be crippling city states like Monaco.
    Great, Monaco should be crippled. I'd sooner ban Monaco residents from the UK (and owning, or being on the board of companies which trade in the UK) than continue with the currently unsustainable state of affairs. We really do need a single international tax union though.

ReputationRep:
    How would you sum up the MHoC in one sentence? (The answers will be put in the Ad Hoc by the way )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    How would you sum up the MHoC in one sentence? (The answers will be put in the Ad Hoc by the way )
    A massive ****ing pack of nerds who should all go outside for a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    big dreams, bigger egos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    A massive ****ing pack of nerds who should all go outside for a change.
    'Outside'? What part of the GD would I find that in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    'Outside'? What part of the GD would I find that in?
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, seems like Trusts are fining doctors for striking (not just docking them the days pay)

ReputationRep:
    The £12bn that Apple owe Ireland would be enough to plug our NHS gap and is more than the health bill for Ireland. Crazy that the Irish government is appealing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The £12bn that Apple owe Ireland would be enough to plug our NHS gap and is more than the health bill for Ireland. Crazy that the Irish government is appealing that.
    Enda Kenny has made Bertie Ahern seem a half reasonable Taoiseach.

ReputationRep:
    Do I get a free drink for being first in the bar today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    No, but you do get to pay for everyone else's

ReputationRep:
    https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2...h-experts.html

"Forget all the conflicting and unreliable monthly data and surveys, and focus on the two clear impacts that the Brexit vote has already had. The first is a large depreciation in sterling, which makes almost everyone poorer. [1] The second is a cut in interest rates plus a reactivation of unconventional monetary expansion. To imply that these events strengthen the Leave case is just completely and utterly bizarre. It is just another version of the ‘they predicted Armageddon’ trick which I complained about here. Any objective referee would judge the score so far to be

Economists 2 Leavers 0

Michael Gove was widely derided for saying the UK has had enough of experts. But using the label ‘Project Fear’ is exactly the same."

ReputationRep:
    Universities lol -

"Remind students that migrants ARE NOT taking GB student places"

Number of Intl students as a % of students rises again this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    No, but you do get to pay for everyone else's
    I think that those who voted Leave should pay as they have made people such as myself worse off. My visits abroad will cost more.

"Forget all the conflicting and unreliable monthly data and surveys, and focus on the two clear impacts that the Brexit vote has already had. The first is a large depreciation in sterling, which makes almost everyone poorer. [1] The second is a cut in interest rates plus a reactivation of unconventional monetary expansion. To imply that these events strengthen the Leave case is just completely and utterly bizarre. It is just another version of the ‘they predicted Armageddon’ trick which I complained about here. Any objective referee would judge the score so far to be

Economists 2 Leavers 0

Michael Gove was widely derided for saying the UK has had enough of experts. But using the label ‘Project Fear’ is exactly the same."
    Anyone involved in education in the early part of this decade had enough of Michael Gove.*

ReputationRep:

Economists 2 Leavers 0

At this point it's more about Brexit vs Remain and seeing the catastrophic apocalyptic visions unravel allows us to take the high ground even if the situation is not the best.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Universities lol -

"Remind students that migrants ARE NOT taking GB student places"

Number of Intl students as a % of students rises again this year.
    University places are uncapped.

ReputationRep:
    At this point it's more about Brexit vs Remain and seeing the catastrophic apocalyptic visions unravel allows us to take the high ground even if the situation is not the best.

University places are uncapped.
    In theory, yes. In practice, there's a finite amount of space at each uni for practical reasons from accommodation availability to the size of lecture halls and other facilities, and if more international students are given places at over-subscribed unis that means fewer places for British students.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Jeremy. Very funny but enough now. After work drinks are not sexist for bally goodness sake

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/02/corbyn.../?ito=facebook

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, he really is an idiot.

What's he going to do, ban pubs and bars from opening at certain times.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, he really is an idiot.

What's he going to do, ban pubs and bars from opening at certain times.
    Or come tour the office to see us drinking!! And what about when we have clients who come and have drinks... that be banned too :confused: Silly old man!

ReputationRep:
    The worst thing is, it's so easy to form his point into a much more coherent policy.

"Despite equality under the law, women still face barriers to advancement at work, especially where they are the primary carers of young children. Social events after work hours areach a part of this problem: they present an ideal opportunity for networking and demonstrating personal qualities, but are often held at times and places which make it impossible to attend with children. Therefore, I will be investigating whether we can encourage venues for these events to relax rules on the presence of children where they are adequately supervised by a responsible adult - as well as investing as already announced in subsided childcare services to ensure parents have the room to enjoy their own lives while they work so hard to further the future of their children".

But no. What do we get? Ban after work drinks. Ffs.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.